Roper's playcalling

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
Gator Fever;n51308 said:
Yep I thought it was smart to start pounding KY when we did. We probably lose the game if we didn't go that route.

So you agree that giving the ball to Jones repeatedly was a good idea?
Still answer the question.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
When we start releasing the TE, H, or B whatever you want to call it down the seam off play action it should be wide open....we haven't seen it yet but it was a staple of Ropers when at Duke. We also haven't seen a rollout pass/run option either. I thought this would be a big part of our offense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
When we start releasing the TE, H, or B whatever you want to call it down the seam off play action it should be wide open....we haven't seen it yet but it was a staple of Ropers when at Duke. We also haven't seen a rollout pass/run option either. I thought this would be a big part of our offense.
We haven't seen it because we need the extra blockers. The box is loaded every time

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't we scored a hundred the first two games. I'd say we're improved. The fact that driskel statistically had his best game the other night tells us something.

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
I think he is mixing it up pretty well and I like running a bunch of plays. He's still experimenting with personel, but getting
some confidence in Robinson, Jones, Westbrook.

I like throwing downfield to Dunbar and Robinson, maybe we'll hit one in stride.

He is keeping me guessing, and I like that.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
Gator Fever;n51274 said:
Yep we are getting a lot of yards with those short passes out to the flats but I don't think that is going to work so good against the better SEC defenses with no effective deep passing game.

Deep passes are being called, it's the execution that is killing us. Threw too many in the first half, that were incompletitions.
At least we are trying....I was happy as hell compared to recent history...a missed down field is better than no down field.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
williston_gator;n51375 said:
We put up a total of 3800 yards last year and are already at 1187 after TWO games. Not that it'll continue like that, but still.

I think 20 points against KY in regulation is kind of telling however with all those dink and dunk type plays.
Very telling. EMU is a joke. Skewed stats. Let me know when we score 30+ on a ranked team.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr said:
Gator Fever;n51308 said:
Yep I thought it was smart to start pounding KY when we did. We probably lose the game if we didn't go that route.

That's right. And the ground game worked all night. You could sense it in that last OT that perhaps UF had broken UK's spirit.

I also think Roper's playcalling is fine. We had over 500 yards of offense. Last year we would have killed to have those numbers. I would expect that Roper is implementing in small doses and he puts more in this week. We see what he did against an overwhelming FSU in the ACCCG last year. We have not seen the super Up tempo that he ran at Duke. So far its been more like just a regular no huddle. I would expect to see UF really speed things up this week. See more of the slip screens and challenge a bit more down field. JD did miss some open deep balls last week but the WR's also dropped too. Roper is fine and feel we'll be ok.
FSU shut Duke out I think

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n51454 said:
Haven't we scored a hundred the first two games. I'd say we're improved. The fact that driskel statistically had his best game the other night tells us something.

But we only scored 20 against KY in regulation. That scares me.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp said:
I think its much improved and you can tell that he wants to challenge downfield. He has called multiple plays challenging the secondary deep, the problem is that if drizzy is the one throwing it, its way overthrown and uncatchable. After multiple deep calls ending this way, we have had to revert back to the short dink and dunk stuff. If driskel was hitting those deep throws I think the game the other night would have been completely different. Not pinning everything on driskel, but I also think the play calling has been a product of Roper being forced to call short stuff b/c thats all Jeff seems to be able to handle.
This makes sense. The attempt to incorporate long passes was there and then after the results, scaled back

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BMF said:
divits;n51331 said:
That said, obviously, for us to have any success going forward Driskel is going to have to figure out how to hit the deep routes and the offensive line is going to have to learn how to pass block or this offense will not work as designed and we're no better than 7-5. It's also obvious that our defense will not be winning any games for us this year.

We only play 11 regular season games this year....
Good point BMF, Foley doesn't count bowl games anymore.

Well, not totally true. Apparently they do count if your coach is 6-6.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Yes, that says it all doesn't it?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n51485 said:

And we gave up the same points as Ohio U did in regulation. That scares me, too.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
WobbleGator;51311 said:
Gator Fever;n51308 said:
So you agree that giving the ball to Jones repeatedly was a good idea?
:lol:

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was late in the game before a TE caught a pass. We are not exploiting the middle of the field 7 to 15 yards from scrimmage...this keeps the D from jamming the line and opens up the run some. Read option w/QB keeper was available several times and Driskel handed off. Not sure if by instruction or fear, but we lost some decent gainers there. Frankly, I am not seeing a whole lot of difference in the play calling or in the execution so far. But there is hope...

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
t-gator;n51454 said:

Yeah, but we scored more than the opponent!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My biggest issue with the deep pass play calls is that it seems to me we basically run a fly pattern with Dunbar again and again. There is more to throwing the deep ball than that. And my concern is that each time we fail to complete that pass, it only adds fuel to WM's fire that we need to be a ground and pound team. Because as soon as the game is truly contested and we're either tied or down, he reverts back to that old mindset. Imo, the comfortable lead was the only reason we kept throwing against EMU. When the game is still hanging in the balance, we tighten up. I'll agree that it worked well late on Saturday. Just not sure that will always be the case.

I will say, I did like the fact that we went right back deep again on the first play of the second OT. Showed more balls than we've seen recently.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Best game gets you 3 OTs after a freak pass bounce and catch saves you. Yikes, that's troubling. :scared:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
You can't change the QB. I think Driskel looked really bad on Saturday. After rewatching the game I came away thinking he was much worse than I originally thought. I don't have access to coaches tape, but I have a difficult time believing D-Rob was the only guy open. I get the feeling he just started locking on to him. We will find out against Bama because they will focus the defense on stopping him forcing Driskel to look for other guys. My point is that Roper could be limited because of Driskel. We'll see.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Compared to our nightmare the last half decade, I will say it appears Roper has a scripted plan of sorts versus the ole
m4KSe3c2R_Bd_pxDxo9SRuWj8AgX3D4xTA0-39mM4YMd3lflUUHnvoLkaeKbp7hKlWg=w300

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.