Roster heights/weights updated

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't want to see DEs holding ground, I want to see them getting at the ball carrier or QB. You aren't going to do that standing there playing handsies with an o linemen :lol:

Like I said though, it depends on strength, sure you want a guy with more ass behind him but it doesn't mean crap if he can't move or push anyone around with pure strength. 242 is light, no doubt, but I want to know where his strength (even speed) is at before I make judgement on how he will play at this weight.

I know but I have seen teams get their running games going and those big tackles and guards flattening 250 pound DEs after a few runs their way and Michigan will even run power on many of those intermediate distance downs.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know but I have seen teams get their running games going and those big tackles and guards flattening 250 pound DEs after a few runs their way and Michigan will even run power on many of those intermediate distance downs.
I don't disagree...I however just think there are more variables at play.
:thumbup:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I remember Sharpe getting destroyed by any speed rush

Good point. Not that I prefer small DL, but if we have 8 DEs rotating, will they get tired? Using quick feet instead of a bull rush could be disruptive enough to be effective. Maybe... I'm just looking for a silver lining.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't want to see DEs holding ground, I want to see them getting at the ball carrier or QB. You aren't going to do that standing there playing handsies with an o linemen :lol:
If the DEs getting up field it creates vertical gaps which can't really be covered by the defense usually bc the LBs have flowed to another gap expecting the DE to have his B or D gap. Especially on running plays, holding your gap is the goal not necessarily getting up field.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good point. Not that I prefer small DL, but if we have 8 DEs rotating, will they get tired? Using quick feet instead of a bull rush could be disruptive enough to be effective. Maybe... I'm just looking for a silver lining.
I don't care if we run a 3-4 and let the LBs flow to everything, but you still need to bring guys off the edge in passing situations.

I'm not really defending CeCe's weight. Just noting that they can be effective in situations

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
When did harry gornto move to te? Funny how that flew under the radar

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I guess we'll find out if lighter is better otherwise more pizza parties.

Bama and FSU will have SIZE and strength on both lines. Mich too.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Just got back to Virginia after a weekend in God's Country for a wedding (in Mt. Dora. I never realized how big that freakin' lake is!).

Anyhow, there are some real, real surprises.....and disappointments on this updated roster. I'm actually questioning the accuracy of this roster. Some have been pointed out already, but here's some that stood out to me:

Polite. WTF??? He LOST weight?? He's at 260. So, hopefully he plays DE mostly and is groomed to play the "Bullard position" as he gains some weight.

Jefferson. 6'1 242? Huh? That's a LB on most teams. That's Jarrad Davis' size last year. Unbelievable. That ain't good, I don't care how anyone wants to sugarcoat it.

Kalif Jackson. I know he's been a HUGE disappointment. But he's listed as a WR....at 6'4 236. Not really expecting much from him....but I'm surprised he's not practicing at TE.

Clayton lost an inch...but gained 34 pounds! (now 6'2 254)

Jordan Smith was 6'5 on last year's roster.....now he's 6'7?

K. Davis lost an inch as well, but got over 250 (now 6'3 253).

Desir-Jones shrunk 4 inches!!! He's now 6' tall (and 290, down 2 pounds - shouldn't he have added weight?).

Taven Bryan lost 1 inch and 2 pounds from last year (now 6'4 291). He said himself he was up to 300 in the spring. Must have been a hot summer.

Antonio Callaway lost an inch, 5'10 now? (this is a great example to not get upset when you see us going after WR's that aren't 6' or taller)

TJ Moore is only 6' tall? He's listed at 6'5 in his recruiting profile.

Stone Forsyth is the same exact size as last year....so is Andrew Mike (not that he's going to play....but I find it odd. They could take a sh*t and lost 5 pounds). Jordan Sherit is the same exact size as well, 6'4 254.

Scarlett is only 206.....7 pounds lighter and an inch shorter than last year. Surprising to me. Figured he'd get closer to 215, rather than lose weight. I hope he stands up to the pounding. Perine lost 3 pounds as well, down to 218.

Brunson's size is a pleasant surprise, 6'1 229. I hope he's legit.

Moon was 6'4 on last year's roster....now 6'6?

Luke Ancrum....a true tweener....gained 1 pound? This kid should have been closer to 280 by now.

Zuniga only gained 1 pound? Another WTF? Our DE's need to be bigger. I expected Zuniga to come in well over 250 and pushing 260.

Goolsby is down 5 pounds, under 240. Is that supposed to help him block better?

Reese is an inch taller and 5 pounds lighter (at 6'1 239).

S Jaewon Taylor put on 19 pounds! (6' 206 now).

Chauncey Gardner is an inch taller (now 6').

Putu is 2 inches shorter.

Rayshad Jackson lost 9 pounds, down to 217. He's a freaking LB....not a Safety!

K. Clark shrunk an inch.

We have some big walk-on OL's! (which is great for scout team purposes).

Christian Garcia changed numbers (from 56 to 43).

EDIT: did McArthur Burnett get mono? He's listed at 157 pounds!!! He was 174 last year.

-----

There is some good and some bad here.....and some big head scratchers. Honestly, if this roster is accurate, it may be time to consider a new S&C Coach/coaching staff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't care if we run a 3-4 and let the LBs flow to everything, but you still need to bring guys off the edge in passing situations.
Shannon has never run a 3-4 to my knowledge.

A 3 man front requires three big beefers at all times. It's the last thing we should play, especially when we have itty bitty LBs too.

Saban likes 3 man fronts but we've been going away from one it seems since Chimp left. Sidehat, although supposedly Sabanesque, played much less.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Polite. WTF??? He LOST weight?? He's at 260. So, hopefully he plays DE mostly and is groomed to play the "Bullard position" as he gains some weight.
He was 255 last year, at the most. I don't know where that oft repeated "270" bs came from. It never said that on the roster.

Kalif Jackson. I know he's been a HUGE disappointment. But he's listed as a WR....at 6'4 236. Not really expecting much from him....but I'm surprised he's not practicing at TE.

Jordan Smith was 6'5 on last year's roster.....now he's 6'7?

Stone Forsyth is the same exact size as last year....so is Andrew Mike (not that he's going to play....but I find it odd. They could take a sh*t and lost 5 pounds).

Moon was 6'4 on last year's roster....now 6'6?

Luke Ancrum....a true tweener....gained 1 pound? This kid should have been closer to 280 by now.

Rayshad Jackson lost 9 pounds, down to 217. He's a freaking LB....not a Safety!

EDIT: did McArthur Burnett get mono? He's listed at 157 pounds!!! He was 174 last year.
-----
There is some good and some bad here.....and some big head scratchers. Honestly, if this roster is accurate, it may be time to consider a new S&C Coach/coaching staff.
Those are all guys who will probably be looking for another team soon.

S&C staff needs very close evaluation. I don't know what is going on there.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just got back to Virginia after a weekend in God's Country for a wedding (in Mt. Dora. I never realized how big that freakin' lake is!).

Anyhow, there are some real, real surprises.....and disappointments on this updated roster. I'm actually questioning the accuracy of this roster. Some have been pointed out already, but here's some that stood out to me:

Jefferson. 6'1 242? Huh? That's a LB on most teams. That's Jarrad Davis' size last year. Unbelievable. That ain't good, I don't care how anyone wants to sugarcoat it.
-----

Maybe they need to stock up on some deer antler velvet like Bama.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Shannon has never run a 3-4 to my knowledge.

A 3 man front requires three big beefers at all times. It's the last thing we should play, especially when we have itty bitty LBs too.

Saban likes 3 man fronts but we've been going away from one it seems since Chimp left. Sidehat, although supposedly Sabanesque, played much less.
I was speaking theoretically. But yeah, I don't know that he's ever run 3-4. Miami always seemed to like the 4-3 and I think he likes cover 2.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was 255 last year, at the most. I don't know where that oft repeated "270" bs came from. It never said that on the roster.

Let's see how Moon and Smith do this year, but yeah those are future open spots.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

The roster said 270 for Polite...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator