Ruh Roh...Whats Up with Walmart?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gatoravatara, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $340
    Ratings:
    +4,314 / -67
    It is more basic than a lot of people think. The computer tells you where the problem is usually for the most part. Most of this crazy gouging for basic car stuff is just the companies strategically placing things in cars so they are hard to get to for the average person to boost their profits. Many of those expensive services and part replacements could be done after watching a youtube clip explaining it. Also they gouge on parts - if the part is available at an auto part store it will be way cheaper then the dealer/shop is for the part usually. People just like to get conned it seems.

2. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist

Oxbucks:
    $386
    Ratings:
    +4,491 / -6
    I was at Walmart yesterday. While the cheerful, smiling black female manager in the auto department was happily looking up the price of a 10" Stanley cold chisel for me on her computer (last one UPC label ripped off) I noticed they have reduced the price of their standard oil change, filter, and lube to $19.95. I'm sure they add 2 bucks for oil disposal. I bought the chisel for $6.95. The closest comparable chisel Home Depot sells is 3/4" instead of 1" that Walmart carries and it sells for $10.95.

3. AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $466
    Ratings:
    +3,273 / -52
    And both chisels aint worth ****.

4. GMDGator

GMDGator Slick Willie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $159
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / -103
    I'm sure you helped save that location with your chisel...

5. crosscreekcooter

Oxbucks:
    $386
    Ratings:
    +4,491 / -6
    I dont know about saving that location but i saved myself 4 bucks. Why the hate?

6. GMDGator

GMDGator Slick Willie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $159
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / -103
    No hate... Just a joke... this thread is about them closing stores

7. crosscreekcooter

Oxbucks:
    $386
    Ratings:
    +4,491 / -6
    OK. Now serious question. Almost 1/2 of the stores are not in the US. They plan to place the current US employees in other locations. If you owned these stores and they weren't performing well, what would you do?

8. GMDGator

GMDGator Slick Willie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $159
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / -103
    Close them obviously...

9. AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $398
    Ratings:
    +7,033 / -10

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

I used to be able to do all kinds of service on my car. Plenty of room under the hood. I could reach just about everything from the top. Simple enough to check all the fluids, change all the filters, flush, fill, whatever.

My first "nice" car was a Jaguar. No room at all under the hood. Even simple things were unnecessarily complicated. Burned out a headlight. Remember how easy those used to be (insert "how many ___ does it take to change a light bulb" joke here)? This was supposed to be easy. Pop open the back of the headlight assembly, pull out the burned out halogen, insert the new one (careful not to touch) and voila, right? Easiest thing in the world, right? No tools needed (except the hands and fingers God gave you).

Only you couldn't pop open the back of the headlight assembly because it was blocked by the battery. You couldn't move the battery. I tried just unscrewing the mounting bracket so I could lift it out of the tray a bit, you know just move it enough to be able to get to the headlight. No dice. It had to be completely removed so now I'm unscrewing the cables to pop them off the terminals, I've got to clean and spray the teminals, and reattach when I'm done. Of course that means everything electronic dies and has to be reset (they sell a cool little tool now, a 9 volt battery that plugs into your cigarette lighter so that won't happen).

For a freakin' headlight.

I used to change brake pads myself. If my rotors got warped, I'd pull them and take them to a machine shop to be turned. Just find a buddy to help you bleed the brakes. I changed batteries and battery cables. Changed plugs, wires, and distributor cap. Replaced carburetors. I'd get parts from "you pull it" junkyards all the time. Even before things broke, just to have them. Replacing alternators or starters was a little more complicated but nothing you couldn't fix with some jack stands and a Haynes manual. I can say the only part of a car I never messed with is the transmission.

In many ways, cars are a lot better now. They don't rust so quickly. They don't leak fluids like they used to. Much, much better on emissions. They are far more efficient. I remember back in the 80's when 300 horses was a super car. Today, you can get a 4 cylinder (!) Mustang that gets over 300. The 5.0 Liter V8 Mustang GT makes 435HP. Those beloved muscle cars of the late 60's and early 70's would go 0-60 between 6 and 7 seconds or about the same as modern Honda Accord or Chevy Tahoe.

But in may ways, they are worse. Stuff is a LOT harder to work on today. They make it that way on purpose. They make a ton of money on the back end from maintenance. They got tired of losing money to shade tree mechanics and independent professional mechanics. Nothing is simple anymore.

I never thought I would see the day where I would pay another man to change my oil for me or mow my lawn. I haven't done either in the last 5 years.

Alex.

10. GMDGator

GMDGator Slick Willie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $159
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / -103
    My Prius is the same way

11. URGatorBait

URGatorBait Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $236
    Ratings:
    +10,299 / -164
    :lmao2:

12. GMDGator

GMDGator Slick Willie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $159
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / -103
    I knew this would bring a response from someone...
    :bwahaha:

13. AlexDaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $398
    Ratings:
    +7,033 / -10
    I support Wal Mart.

Because I've been broke.

When you're broke, Whole Foods doesn't make a lot of sense. You can get stuff at Wal Mart. Even if you live in the hood. There's no Target in the Hood. Maybe an old K-Mart. But there's a Wal Mart near by. Need a suit for a job interview? Don't have money? Wal Mart is there for you. I know a wealthy liberal wouldn't be caught dead in a Wal Mart suit. But lots of folks can't afford a $500 suit, or even a $250 suit. Got a bunch of growing kids that need clothes for school? Wal Mart is there for you. Need diapers? Formula? A car seat? A winter coat? Wal Mart is your friend.

Rich liberals (like you, Av, no offense) hate Wal Mart. They organize political opposition to keep one out of the neighborhood. Then they complain about no jobs and food deserts. Duh.

You know who loves Wal Mart? Poor people. They can get a flat screen TV, some furniture, an x-box, whatever. Poor people shop there. Broke college kids. Old people on fixed incomes. Disabled people. Immigrants. You know, all the people liberals are supposed to be looking out for.

(and if this many stores are closing now, what would happen if Bernie got his $15/hr minimum wage?)

You know what else? Wal Mart employs people who couldn't get a better job. You ever seen a 350 pound woman with half her teeth missing working a cash register at Publix? Nope. But you've seen plenty of her and folks like her working at Wal Mart. What's better? Sitting at home collecting support, or getting up every day, getting dressed, and going to work? To the rich liberal, there is no dignity in working at Wal Mart. Nonsense. I have a dear friend who works as a greeter at Wal Mart. She worked for GE for years and retired with pension. She loves Wal Mart.

Ever seen a Costco in the hood? Trader Joes? No, of course not.

I don't like shopping at Wal Mart. It's rarely a great experience. Usually it sucks. I'd much rather have a lovely fresh-faced young woman ring up my groceries at Publix. But I support Wal Mart because it raises up poor people. It allows poor people to have more and better stuff. Wealthy liberals don't get that.

Alex.

14. URGatorBait

URGatorBait Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $236
    Ratings:
    +10,299 / -164
    :fistbump:

15. AlexDaGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $398
    Ratings:
    +7,033 / -10
    My current car is a hybrid with 160K miles on it.

True story.

I don't touch it. Last think I need to do is electrocute myself to death.

Alex.

16. GMDGator

GMDGator Slick Willie
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $159
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / -103
    I just crossed 170k on mine... I drive them till the wheels fall off

17. Gatoravatara

Gatoravatara Protaganista

Oxbucks:
    $259
    Ratings:
    +1,500 / -208
    Alex, you make a lot of good points. But this has nothing to do with elitism. I don't shop at Whole Paycheck either. I just wish they treated their employees better. Like not stealing time from them or locking them in the stores.

18. G 2

G 2 Gator Great
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4
    Ratings:
    +2,670 / -10
    Like you, I used to do all the maintenance on my vehicles. However I there have always been poorly designed cars. There was one weekend where my alternator died on my 91 Ford Explorer. I ran down to Discount Auto Parts and it literally took me about 45 mins to change out the part because the alternator was right on top of the engine.

Ironically the next weekend my friend's alternator died. Thinking it would be a similar situation ran down to Discount Auto Parts but unlike before it took us half a day because the alternator was practically on the bottom of the engine. Poor design choices go back for decades.

If you have any mechanical engineering friends talk to them about engine design currently. The main focus is on efficiency and power gains. Thus the form of the engine is dictated by the function. It is no longer a high priority to make engines easy to work on. Usually you have to make sacrifices for one because of the other. Don't forget that maintenance on a car so only a fraction of what it used to be. We have transmission fluid that never needs to be changed, engine oil that routinely goes for 15,000 miles and even bulbs that you complain about last longer than ever.

19. crosscreekcooter

Oxbucks:
    $386
    Ratings:
    +4,491 / -6
    Is that the same thing as posting from your job while you're on the clock?

20. Gatoravatara

Gatoravatara Protaganista

Oxbucks:
    $259
    Ratings:
    +1,500 / -208
    I make a,salary. And work more than 40 hrs. So....yah...