Rustic fluffy tall brown butter pancakes

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
e39345e3a0c7a563e072dddf15d13595.jpg

There's something about box mixes I don't like and I have been messing around lately trying to perfect my recipe and technique. I like them soft and fluffy, the taller the better. I used to use all purpose flour but then you have to add baking powder as a leavening agent which means it has to be fresh or the batter won't rise properly. Walmart doesn't carry Dixie Lily flour, which is made from winter wheat and is a much softer flour which translates to a softer bite. So I started using Martha White self rising which I've found is also a soft flour.
The package is marked "with Hot-Rize". It also makes great biscuits. I also sift the flour which allows the flour to become fluffier. Finally, I had some really good pancakes last week in California that were fried in butter. When you heat butter to a medium heat, it begins to brown. Browned butter adds a depth and a terrific crunch to the pancake that I really like. I also add a couple of teaspoons of melted butter to the liquid part of the mix. I have made pancakes all different ways....water, no egg, milk, buttermilk, no oil, fruit and I like this way better than any I have made yet. I already made some earlier and should have taken a picture of the pancakes; they come out browned and kind of rustic looking and at least 1/2" thick and fluffy as hell.

1 Cup Martha White with Hot-Rize, sifted into mixing bowl (if all purpose is used add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
Stir dry ingredients into sifted flour to incorporate well

In another small bowl, whisk the following:
2 tablespoons butter, melted (I use Land O Lakes Lite with Canola oil -has higher smoke point)
1 large egg
3/4 Cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk (the acid in the buttermilk is an additional leavener plus flavor)
2 tablespoons vanilla extract

Add the wet to the dry and mix just until the dry flour disappears. The batter will be lumpy, that's ok. Good pancake batter shouldn't be smooth. It's real important not to overmix....this makes pancakes tough. Let the batter sit for a few minutes and while the batter is resting, melt a couple of teaspoons of the butter in a medium non-stick pan. Once the butter is almost smoking, pour a 1/4 cup of batter into the butter and let cook until bubbles just begin to form. This batter is just a little thicker than normal batter so test lifting it and carefully turn when the bottom is browned. Then let cook for a short period on the other side as it takes less time. I have been using cane syrup lately because my buddy brought me a couple jars back from Georgia.

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I meant White Lily is what I used to use. I typed Dixie Lily by mistake, I buy Dixie Lily sometimes for my cornbread. Damn you must live in the boondocks.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was camping this weekend and cooked up 2 lbs of bacon in a skillet. The plan was to then cook pancakes on the skillet. As luck would have it, I forgot to pack on oven mitt. Therefore, I had no easy way to dump the bacon grease. So I made the decision to simply fry those pancakes directly in the bacon grease like I would do a fried egg. Wow, were they good.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I got my recipe from Miss Anne Abbey in the Martha White kitchen - they even provide an address.
Then Lester and Earl sing about Martha White... Goodness Gracious!
(Thanks for putting that out there coot - I'm going to have to try that)

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Where the hell did you find that at Diddy

I have it in my Youtube favorites for Lester and Earl - for some reason I just love that Martha White theme song...

"Now you bake better biscuits, cakes and pies... with Martha White self-rising flour, the one all purpose flour, Martha White's self-rising flour's got Hot Rize!"

See how they rhymed pies with rize? Musical genius right there.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WLAC, Nashville.....50k watts of power.....Royal Crown Hair Dressing......and White Rose Petroleum Jelly...

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WLAC prolly didn't reach Jacksonville

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was called pomade. I googled pomade and never realized there were so many different brands made.

pomade-middle01.jpg

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I used Lucky Tiger Butch Hair Wax in Panama City....lol

about 1960....

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Flat tops were the rage for a few months........with duck-tails

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For the box mix category, Kodiak is indeed the best.

Silky Johnston

Hater of the Year
May 7, 2016
You left out fat and blond

Being a man of sophistication, I do enjoy a fat ho.

However, it ain't easy keeping a ho fat. It's that crack rock. Don't know why white folks spend all they cash on weight watchers and ****. Want to get skinny? Hit that crack rock. Do crack, lose fat. Have you ever seen a fat crack head? Hell no. They nothing but skin and bones. And crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator