S&C coach named?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Plenty of good info in here: https://t.co/mZY2lQfeSX

I’m not willing to go down this road on this pissing contest so I’ll just concede and say you’re right :thumbup:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some good comments about the S&C coach:

Meanwhile, here’s a collection of comments others have made about Mullen’s emphasis on the offseason program and what is in store for the Gators.

Florida strength coach Nick Savage (via Chris Harry): “They’re going to learn how to be grown men, not only with how they train and prepare for the season, but how they go about their daily lives inside the building and outside of it.”

More from Savage: “To make sure no one misunderstands, what we’re about to do in this weight room is strictly coming from Coach Mullen. He has his program identity that he’s going to run. It’s my job to implement this room — to promote contenders and expose pretenders — and fit that identity. We will do that.”

Florida AD Scott Stricklin: “There’s always going to be one team that’s throwing punches and there’s going to be another team that’s on their heels in about any competition you go to. You can’t always just do that by mindset, but usually the mindset has a lot to do with it. And the way they ran that offseason program, I think, really led to Mississippi State no longer being on their heels.”

Former Mississippi State QB Tyson Lee: “The mental toughness [Mullen] wants to instill in his players starts in the weight room. If I was going to talk to the University of Florida team, I would apologize in advance for how hard these next three months are going to be.”

More from Lee: “I’m not a quitter, but I told Dan this: I thought about quitting almost every day. I think it wasn’t the physical part; it was the mental part of it as well because you knew every day was to exhaustion and that kind of wears on you. … There were so many times I just wanted to throw it all in and walk out of there.”

Former Mississippi State WR Chad Bumphis: “It was easily the toughest thing I’d ever done in my life. Not even close. At the time, of course, you’re going through it and you hate every minute of it, but the older you get and the more that you see, it’s not even just about football — it’s a life thing. His big thing is being a champion is not a sometimes thing; it’s a way of life. It’s how you carry yourself, and how you go about doing anything is how you go about doing everything.”

Florida freshman safety/linebacker Amari Burney: “Coach Mullen told me if I wanted to take it easy I should go to the Marines.”

Whatever happens next season, it seems a safe bet fans won’t be griping about the strength and conditioning program anymore.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Nice article about Savage

http://floridagators.com/news/2017/...ss-new-day-in-south-end-zone-weight-room.aspx

I like this:

""I believe the really good programs seem to have really good strength and conditioning programs and the teams that aren't as good seem to struggle in that area — so there's a direct correlation," Stricklin said. "When I worked with Dan in the past, he could tell me — based on offseason and how January, February and the offseason conditioning went, and what the team [grade-point average] was — how the team was going to do in the fall. They all correlate, as well. All of it. Young people taking care of their responsibilities and being good in all areas of their lives, that manifests in the fall in terms of wins and losses."

Translation: Discipline.

On that issue, Savage intends to draw a line in the sand as clear-cut as his last name.

"It's going to be black and white, with no gray area in between," he said."

And this is like a breath of fresh air.

""Great teams are separated by attention to detail. I can promise you that attention to detail — whether that means starting [sprints] behind the line or holding a rep for three seconds, whatever— we will have attention to detail. If guys struggle to understand that, there will be consequences and discipline for those actions. There will be direction, focus, leadership and discipline. That will not change.""

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
More from Savage: “He has his program identity that he’s going to run. It’s my job to implement this room — to promote contenders and expose pretenders — and fit that identity. We will do that.”
Whelp, you can kiss our whole team goodbye.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever happens next season, it seems a safe bet fans won’t be griping about the strength and conditioning program anymore.
I think you give fans too much credit...just wait for that first non-contact injury or a team runs for 100 yards on us :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can't be the only one who is upset that theren't arent leaks that they pulled an Urban Meyer on the team, locked them in the gym, worked them til they puked in trash cans while reminding them of how bad they lost to rivals last year(s), and inviting the weak ones to quit.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I can't be the only one who is upset that theren't arent leaks that they pulled an Urban Meyer on the team, locked them in the gym, worked them til they puked in trash cans while reminding them of how bad they lost to rivals last year(s), and inviting the weak ones to quit.

Not yet anyhow....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like the new conditioning coach means business. I think some of them hardly worked out under Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.