S&C v. Attitude

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Didnt know where to put this. Merge as you see fit.

Lots of analysis (some very good) about what went wrong. But also some over-analysis.

Here is the simplistic version.

Our S & C transformed some of our physiques. Made us stronger. But we were still thoroughly whipped on both lines.
Manhandled even.

Offensively we got no push at all other than being pushed backwards. Often missed assignments.

Defensively....even when we had the right formation, the right call, the right personnel and filled the right gaps...we were still on our heels. Even when we made the first hit in the backfield they drove forward for 5 yards.

Tackling was an embarrassment. Too many opportunities to wrap up resulted in easily broken (or spun out of) arm tackles.

My simplistic explanation is this: we don’t have junk yard dogs on this team. Physically we look better and we may well be stronger but we do not possess the attitude or swagger of a top tier program. We do not drive or hit with mental authority. We do not attack or hit with bad intentions. We do not lay wood. We do not intimidate.

Our backs (especially) Scarlett are dancing at the line jitterbugging instead of punishing forward.

We need an attitude adjustment.

This alone would make a tremendous improvement.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Lots of analysis (some very good) about what went wrong. But also some over-analysis.

Our S & C transformed some of our physiques. Made us stronger. But we were still thoroughly whipped on both lines.
Manhandled even.

Offensively we got no push at all other than being pushed backwards. Often missed assignments.

Defensively....even when we had the right formation, the right call, the right personnel and filled the right gaps...we were still on our heels. Even when we made the first hit in the backfield they drove forward for 5 yards.

Tackling was an embarrassment. Too many opportunities to wrap up resulted in easily broken (or spun out of) arm tackles.

My simplistic explanation is this: we don’t have junk yard dogs on this team. Physically we look better and we may well be stronger but we do not possess the attitude or swagger of a top tier program. We do not drive or hit with mental authority. We do not attack or hit with bad intentions. We do not lay wood. We do not intimidate.

Our backs (especially) Scarlett are dancing at the line jitterbugging instead of punishing forward.

I believe this was said in 2010.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Told by a Marine who would know.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I consider Slaton & Concliffe to be pretty good upfront but they were getting blown off the line. Not good.

The o line? Well that's a tragedy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I consider Slaton & Concliffe to be pretty good upfront but they were getting blown off the line. Not good.

The o line? Well that's a tragedy.
No they werent. They just werent on the field much and rarely together.

That needs to change.

Dunlap, Shuler, Zuniga, Zack and Polite were the ones getting abused. Basically the same DEs who could hold the edge last year, and Shuler who looked like shyt last week.

Nothingnhas changed. Those third and long one trick ponies are still useless for anything but pass rush.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
No they werent. They just werent on the fielf much and rarely together.

That needs to change.

I remember Slaton out there for a few. I know Clark was awful yesterday. Geez. I thought the d line was hold up better than that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember Slaton out there for a few. I know Clark was awful yesterday. Geez. I thought the d line was hold up better than that.
And Slaton got double teams.

I have no idea why they feel compelled to play a guy like Clark.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
And Slaton got double teams.

I have no idea why they feel compelled to play a guy like Clark.
I really question the scheme. 222 rushing yards to Charleston Southern and another 300+ to Kentucky. There's a bigger problem than just our guys. Grantham is exactly who we knew he was...I'm a lot less mad than previous years the day after a loss. I guess I am growing accustomed to them.

33-40

Best man for the job. Trust the coaches. Blah blah blah

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I still think our team is soft from years of Macs garbage S&C program. You cant build sec level strength in a few months. It takes a few years of constant work, real hard work, to get there.

The stink of Mac will linger in the form of weak lines on both sides of the ball.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018

Manhandled even.

Agree with everything said here, but it could be that we simply lack talent? McElwain inherited lots of NFL-type talent especially on defense. But he recruited very poorly and never developed what he had. Mullen inherited not only a low talent team, but a lot of kids that appear to be jerks. The rebuild is going to take longer than most of us thought because Mullen not only has to get his kind of players on campus, he has to try to improve the commitment level, work ethic and attitude of many players who may not be SEC caliber to begin with.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Agree with everything said here, but it could be that we simply lack talent? McElwain inherited lots of NFL-type talent especially on defense. But he recruited very poorly and never developed what he had. Mullen inherited not only a low talent team, but a lot of kids that appear to be jerks. The rebuild is going to take longer than most of us thought because Mullen not only has to get his kind of players on campus, he has to try to improve the commitment level, work ethic and attitude of many players who may not be SEC caliber to begin with.

Agree

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I still think our team is soft from years of Macs garbage S&C program. You cant build sec level strength in a few months. It takes a few years of constant work, real hard work, to get there.

The stink of Mac will linger in the form of weak lines on both sides of the ball.
Absolutkey

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Excessively true, on the erode-mode McElmaim instituted via his floppy training. In truth, this UK game is the first measure Mullencrew have gotten to show how awful these guys really are? I hope he's mad and gives 'em hell and tries some changes. Don't want to see last night's team ever again, O or D. This point now has to be Mullen's sharpest point for turnaround. Next game.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Agree with both posts. We don't appear to have the talent to compete at the SEC elite level. We got dominated by UK and we are somewhere just above Vandy. (Maybe below) We also don't appear to have leaders on either side of the ball. Franks should be the guy on offense and that may happen. On defense we don't have Reece and Jefferson. With those guys back we could see some of the swagger Marine 1 talked about. It seems like we haven't impact leaders on defense since Dan Quinn's 2012 hard nosed and nasty crew. This team is going to have to over achieve every week to stay in most games. Regardless we need to add talent and depth which seems to be in short supply now.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
While the lack of talent is no doubt true, we have veterans on the lines that came in highly regarded and have been here for years. They were recruited to Florida for a reason. This staff has not gotten their attention regardless of all the hype about Relentless Effort, they are playing as unmotivated shirts and getting their azzes whipped to a man on both sides of the ball by a historically inferior opponent. This is coaching. The O-line, D-line coaches and their coordinators have horribly failed Gator Nation and are not justifying their paychecks. Put them on notice that immediate and profound improvement is mandatory or they will be out of a job. This is big-time football and it's time that responsibility is taken by the guys making the big bucks.

Mullen - in your court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator