S Donovan Stiner story

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This kid has potential to be a big-time Safety. At 6'2 185, I imagine he'll be 210-ish by the time he's in his 2nd year on campus.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-safety-donovan-stiner-gators-draft-output-inspiring

Incoming Florida safety Donovan Stiner finds Gators’ DB draft output ‘inspiring’

HOUSTON — Sitting at his family’s dining room table Friday night, incoming Florida freshman safety Donovan Stiner was discussing the unexpected detours in his recruiting process and how he ultimately chose to join the Gators.

In the end, he says, it was a “no brainer,” while touting Florida’s reputation for developing future NFL defensive backs.

All the while, the second night of the NFL draft was playing out on the TV in the adjoining living room. Stiner was keeping tabs on the second-round picks while discussing his own football future when he saw a notable name flash across the screen.

“Marcus Maye … [to] the Jets,” he said.

Maye, a three-year starter at safety for the Gators, was the 39th overall selection in the draft, and while the conversation continued, Florida cornerback Quincy Wilson soon went to the Indianapolis Colts with the 46th pick and later fellow corner Jalen “Teez” Tabor would be taken by the Detroit Lions as the 53rd overall selection.

“It’s real inspiring,” Stiner said of his seeing his predecessors in the Florida secondary earning their NFL opportunities. “It’s amazing how many DBs they put out every year, and it’s motivating to fill their shoes. I just want to come in and work as hard as I can to be just like them.”

Stiner, a 3-star recruit from Bellaire High School just outside of Houston according to the 247Sports composite rankings, was one of the later additions to Florida’s 2017 signing class.

He was initially committed to Baylor prior to his junior year before Bears coach Art Briles was fired after an investigation into the handling of sexual violence allegations against the school’s football players. Stiner de-committed a few days after Briles’ ouster.

A couple games into his senior season, he committed to the hometown Houston Cougars and coach Tom Herman, who had become one of the hottest names in college football. Because of that, though, Herman was pursued for bigger jobs and would leave after last season to become the coach at Texas.

It was another setback for Stiner as he tried to decide what school offered him the best chance to make an impact at the college level and hopefully progress onto the NFL one day.

But in the end, it all worked out. After taking an official visit to Florida the weekend before National Signing Day, Stiner committed to the Gators and signed a few days later as part of a class of six very intriguing defensive backs who will arrive on campus this summer.

“I think it was fun at points, but also stressful at points. But in the long run I think it was a good experience to have, and I’m glad I ended up where I am,” Stiner said of the recruiting process. “I was committed to two different schools and coaches left and things changed. I’m just glad it’s all settled now, and it’s like a big relief.”

And a big opportunity.

Stiner, a 6-foot-2, 185-pound safety with a reputation as a hard-hitter, said the Florida coaches emphasized the program’s reputation for churning out NFL defensive backs as part of their pitch to him.

“They started pushing that defensive back culture that they have and that pipeline so that was really big for me, seeing they have what, three defensive backs in this draft? That was a big deal for me,” Stiner said as those Gators came off the draft board. “And two safeties leaving — well one going to the draft and one probably going next year, that just tells me that’s a good opportunity and they know what they’re doing up there. And with all them leaving, that means a good opportunity to get on the field. So that was another big deal for me.”

Maye, Wilson and Tabor going in the second round this year follows cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III and safety Keanu Neal going in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft and nickel Brian Poole reaching the Super Bowl (along with Neal) as an undrafted free agent signee of the Atlanta Falcons.

Going back a little further, former Florida cornerback Jaylen Watkins was a fourth-round draft pick in 2014, safety Matt Elam was a first-rounder in 2013 while fellow safety Josh Evans went in the sixth round that year, safety Ahmad Black was a fifth-round pick in 2011, cornerback Joe Haden was a first-rounder in 2010 while safety Major Wright went in the third round of that draft and in 2007 safety Reggie Nelson was a first-rounder while cornerback Ryan Smith went in the sixth round.

“It’s no secret. They really didn’t have to say much. I mean, all you’ve got to do is look at the NFL draft and it speaks for itself,” Stiner said of that tradition. “These last few years they get a draft pick every year, and I was talking to [former Gators defensive backs coach Torrian Gray] before he left and he showed that we were No. 1 in pass efficiency defense [in 2016]. That speaks for itself. So it’s not like they’re just claiming to be DBU. I mean, the numbers show it too. …

“Any coach can tell you that it’s a good opportunity and we’ll get you ready for that, but they have the numbers and the examples to prove it.”

The following is part of SEC Country’s Recruiting Rewind series, looking back on Stiner’s recruiting process:

Q: In the end, what school finished second behind Florida as you made your final decision?

Stiner: “I’d say Houston.”

Q: How did that final conversation with Houston coach Major Applewhite go?

Stiner: “He understood where I was coming from. He knew it was a good opportunity for me and all. … It was kind of an awkward conversation, it was pretty awkward, but I’m glad he understood about it.”

Q: If you could give one piece of advice to a high school junior just starting the recruiting process, what would you tell them?

Stiner: “I’d tell him to take his time and not be impulsive about committing somewhere and tell him it’s more of a business and not to commit because you’re close to a coach. Because it’s still a business and things could change, so I’d just tell him to take his time.”

Q: What was the most creative thing that any school did to get your attention?

Stiner: “I’d say Oklahoma State. What is that thing called, the thing you put over your head (virtual reality) and I could like see the campus and the stadium and stuff (from) my couch. That was pretty creative.”

Q: Who was the funniest head coach you dealt with at any point during the process?

Stiner: “I would say Tom Herman, Coach Herman. He’s pretty funny with the grill and stuff. That was pretty funny.”

Q: What was your biggest regret through the whole process?

Stiner: “My biggest regret. … I think I should have took my time more when I first committed to Baylor before my junior year. I think I should have just waited and seeked other opportunities first.”

Q: What’s the funniest story that happened on any of your recruiting visits?

Stiner: “On the official visit [at Florida], we were walking by some lake or something and I saw a sign that said, ‘Beware of Gators.’ I thought it was a joke [relating to the mascot], but they say alligators actually come out of the water. That was surprising.”

Q: Who was the hardest coach to say no to in the end?

Stiner: “Coach Applewhite. I think just because of the situation I was in, I was already committed to them and it was like late in the game so it would be pretty hard for them to probably replace me so it was pretty hard to say [I was going to Florida].”

Q: What school disappointed you the most?

Stiner: “Well, I liked Texas and I was getting closer to Charlie Strong and I think I was about to get an offer from them and then he was fired. And then Coach Herman came, so I was like, ‘Well maybe I’ll still get the offer.’ They were only taking one safety, and by that point they already had one committed so I was pretty disappointed because I was kind of big on Texas.”

Q: Was there a lot of negative recruiting from schools?

Stiner: “Not really. I would say maybe between Oklahoma State and Oklahoma. They would talk about each other. That was about it, though. I haven’t really experienced negative recruiting that much.”

Q: Who was the nicest head coach that you didn’t sign with?

Stiner: “I would say Missouri’s head coach. He was pretty nice. Coach [Barry] Odom. He was pretty nice. He came by the school a couple times so I got to meet him. He’s just a nice guy.”

Q: Lastly, if you were in charge of the NCAA, what’s one thing you would change about the recruiting process?

Stiner: “I’d let us take more official visits. I mean, some of the kids with more offers, they don’t get to go see all of them because some of them can’t afford to go if it’s a far school and stuff. So I would say more official visits.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator