Saban dismisses UCF's self-proclaimed national title

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So in that case Creyers OSU team who lost to an unranked Iowa team by 30 points should have been in over Bama?

Let me ask you a question: What was the best team in the NFL in 2007 season?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
And the best thing about playoffs is that the so-called “best” team doesn’t always win.

Case in point - the year Duke beat UNLV for the hoops title. Bugs me when commentators wax on about UNLV being the “best” team but Duke beat them when it mattered most. “Best” doesn’t get to buy a commemorative hat or t-shirt. Champions do.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Keep it at four...conference champs only...who cares about G5 teams: go back to FCS.
OR
Old school bowls with conference ties and the possibility of split polls (circa 1970s, which I like because I AM old school)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just the opposite. Expand it to 16. Make it a month-long affair. Make it inclusive and unpredictable, and make it the greatest sporting spectacle on earth.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We already have an exciting 12 team play off on the first weekend of Dec.

NotQyteNeo

May 15, 2018
Does anyone think a non P5 school will ever make the playoff?

IMO - the "P" word does not come into play until - at minimum - it is 8 teams.

Will we ever see a Go5 team in the BCS+2? ... NOPE. The committee always keeps them ranked out of reach - the very definition of systematic oppression.

NotQyteNeo

May 15, 2018
8 team playoff. P5 champs plus 3 at-large, one of which must be the top G5 team if it’s top 15.

1st round gets played at the higher seeds’ home stadiums 2 weeks after the conference championships. First round losers are bowl eligible. Winners go to final four and those winners to the championship which flow as they do now.

Any down side?

My solution as well. Except, you have to do round-1 the first week after the CGs. This is needed so they can still get the bowl lineup laid out soon enough for the pre-Christmas bowls. FCS(And D2 and D3 I believe) goes straight into the playoff right after the season ends - no need to wait.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. Any further expansion of the playoff will come at the expense of the CGs. They either figure a way to make the CGs the de facto first round of the playoffs or they scrap them altogether.

The best and easiest solution IMO is to scrap the divisions within conferences and put the two best teams in every conference title game regardless of geography. After all conference title games have been played, you take the four highest ranked conference champions. You don't win your conference you don't go to the dance and I don't care if you're the 85 Bears.

NotQyteNeo

May 15, 2018
Nope. Any further expansion of the playoff will come at the expense of the CGs. They either figure a way to make the CGs the de facto first round of the playoffs or they scrap them altogether.

The best and easiest solution IMO is to scrap the divisions within conferences and put the two best teams in every conference title game regardless of geography. After all conference title games have been played, you take the four highest ranked conference champions. You don't win your conference you don't go to the dance and I don't care if you're the 85 Bears.

Nope - you can have the 1st round right after the CGs, You can slot in the Conference Champs like they do in pretty-much every other NCAA sport/level. Then, instead of infringing on the CGs, you're enhancing their significance.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nope - you can have the 1st round right after the CGs, You can slot in the Conference Champs like they do in pretty-much every other NCAA sport/level. Then, instead of infringing on the CGs, you're enhancing their significance.
If you let in non-conference champs, you most certainly are not enhancing the significance of the CGs.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Perish the thought of the '85 Bears and Fish meeting having been in the playoffs. The 12-4 Fish would have been Super Bowl champions and the Super Bowl Shuffle relegated to the scrap heap.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Perish the thought of the '85 Bears and Fish meeting having been in the playoffs. The 12-4 Fish would have been Super Bowl champions and the Super Bowl Shuffle relegated to the scrap heap.
I'm not sure Miami could have beaten them twice, but we'll never know. Marino's quick release was the kryptonite to that defense.

NotQyteNeo

May 15, 2018
If you let in non-conference champs, you most certainly are not enhancing the significance of the CGs.

Agreed - make it the top 8 conference champs. The best part? ... a giant middle finger to Notre Dame's "Conference of 1". :D

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure Miami could have beaten them twice, but we'll never know. Marino's quick release was the kryptonite to that defense.
Pretty sure McMahon was out with the neck injury and they went with Fuller, which severely limited the passing game. Marino was in his prime. No one could stop him.

As the story goes, Ryan yelled at Ditka over the crappy offense in the halftime locker room and the two nearly came to blows.

It was that kind of season. A nonstop circus of nutty personalities and yet they steamrolled just about everyone, everyone that is but Miami that Monday night.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure McMahon was out with the neck injury and they went with Fuller, which severely limited the passing game. Marino was in his prime. No one could stop him.

As the story goes, Ryan yelled at Ditka over the crappy offense in the halftime locker room and the two nearly came to blows.

It was that kind of season. A nonstop circus of nutty personalities and yet they steamrolled just about everyone, everyone that is but Miami that Monday night.
To this day, no QB has ever come close to that release Marino had. When you watch it, it doesn't even seem humanly possible. The guy was impossible to sack because of it.

giphy.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's how Miami, with a huge MNF audience tuned in to see if the Bears could keep pace with the Fish's unbeaten '72, was able to notch the only blemish on Chicago's otherwise perfect season. The Bears went into the game knowing the rush would be marginalized by Marino's cannon and that they would need great efforts from Richardson and Frazier at the corners, their only weakness on defense.

Against other teams, the pressure from the 46 took the heat off the corners. Marino picked them apart that night.

I can't think of anything I enjoy watching more than a guy who can stand calmly in the pocket and -- boom! -- whip the arm like that and hit the receiver in stride.

That's why I was jacked over Grier in 2015. He had that same ability to calmly read the field, get rid of the ball lightning fast and STILL be accurate with the receiver.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That's how Miami, with a huge MNF audience tuned in to see if the Bears could keep pace with the Fish's unbeaten '72, was able to notch the only blemish on Chicago's otherwise perfect season. The Bears went into the game knowing the rush would be marginalized by Marino's cannon and that they would need great efforts from Richardson and Frazier at the corners, their only weakness on defense.

Against other teams, the pressure from the 46 took the heat off the corners. Marino picked them apart that night.

I can't think of anything I enjoy watching more than a guy who can stand calmly in the pocket and -- boom! -- whip the arm like that and hit the receiver in stride.

That's why I was jacked over Grier in 2015. He had that same ability to calmly read the field, get rid of the ball lightning fast and STILL be accurate with the receiver.
and yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.