Safety position

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018

I expect to see growth from the young safeties with this new scheme & coaching. Intrigued to watch the development of Dean.

But wouldn’t it be a great luxury & advantage to have the skills of Burney back there? Just need to stockpile the horses up front and find the quality LB’s that stirs this drink

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Good evaluation. Like you said we still don't know enough about true freshman David Reese and Burned. Both of them look really athletic and slightly too big to be DBs. Burney could be like a scUM Sean Taylor if he stays at Safety. Our OLB position could definitely use some talented depth. We have enough Safeties that those two guys could definitely move to OLB in a scheme that they probably fit in really well. I can't wait to see these guys flying around the field. I really just hope they focus on tackling better this year. Our championship teams had excellent tacklers and guys that made it too priority to swarm to the ball and tackle well. Our DBs and LBs took bad angles and were poor tacklers last year. Maybe burney and Reese 2 won't have the bad tendencies.

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
[QUOTE="ltraz, post: 737886, member: Burney and Reese would fit that perfectly if they can transition.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree that he could grow into the ILB position. He projects there definitely. I just want the best of both worlds. Won’t beat a dead horse Re recruiting but...

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
There really are a ton of guys you can recruit as DB’s. Find me the right LB’s for your scheme and some huge-body difference makers on the line & now we’re cooking.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
A poor safety, SS or FS depending on situation, absolutely destroys any opportunity for a good defense. While this is certainly true against the pass, it’s most vitally critical in run support (especially in our league).

From my couch, there were innumberable times last year that most of defense did an adequate-not great-job of what they were asked (except the safeties). Even though I abhorred the scheme, the numbers would have improved dramatically if only the safeties could tackle.
This means you Chauncey, specifically.

Chauncey was in position countless times filling the correct area....only to dive face first into the turf somewhere close to a ‘backs shoelaces. This isn’t poor form or technique. It’s lack of intestinal fortitude.

To counter this, go back and watch Matt Elam fill & you get an idea what I’m talking about. A great safety makes a sometimes average defense awesome.

Curious to see who steps up this year.

Losing Marcell Harris was the single biggest blow to last year's defense. That guy was a play-maker in the same vein as Elam and was poised to have an even better year in 2017. I hated it for him when I heard about his achilles injury and really hope he is able to make a full recovery. If he does, SF will have gotten a steal in the 6th round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb