Scarlett and others have returned to team activities

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Not "every one", as in each of the nine.
"Everyone", as in anyone who has ever committed a felony.
If I stole a credit card and used it to buy something, I would expect the student council to kick me off campus. If I got a group of friends together to do it, I would expect the same.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We used to sign every test with "On my honor as a Florida student, I have neither given nor received information on this test and don't know anyone who has."

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
If I stole a credit card and used it to buy something, I would expect the student council to kick me off campus. If I got a group of friends together to do it, I would expect the same.
Well, it's a case where we don't know all of the facts or circumstances and the powers that be (detectives, judges, university officials, student conduct committee, etc) do apparently know them and have given a determination. I'm sure most of the players were expecting the council to give a harsh determination. As I've said elsewhere, I've had experience with young adults who make poor decisions (many involving "group think") and my take is to let the law do it's thing and once that has happened, let me work on growth points with them.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We used to sign every test with "On my honor as a Florida student, I have neither given nor received information on this test and don't know anyone who has."

Yeah, that's how I signed my roommate's name when I took his midterm....
He was a special case. First trimester his mother died of cancer. Two week's into the second tri his teen sister was killed in a car wreck (they were real close). Toward the summer, he went to Sebring for the races (big in 1963). He "lived" out on the infield. Came back with severe sun poisoning. Put him in the infirmary for a week. (needless to say: he wasn't studying feverishly). When I observed his actually being proud of that highest test grade in his short college career, I had a heart to heart with him advising him to return to St. Pete and take over his Dad's highly successful floral business. His Dad needed him greatly and it worked out for the best. I really liked that youngster. Funny, how some like him have that greatest fire as a Gator, even now. (Incidentally, I don't remember the course 'cause I never took it.)

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
It is my personal and politically incorrect opinion that UF should not admit anyone who has ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, cheating in school, not saying sir and ma'am to their elders, or not standing for the National Anthem. My university should be for the best of the best, top 7% of academics who want to become servants to our society. If those standards are violated as a student send 'em to FSU or Penn State.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When was that? I graduated in 01 and never had to do that.

Back in '63, all major tests were given at night, by a graduate student who wouldn't know anyone. You signed in with a long digits student #. Given at night at a building different from your class building. Grades were posted on a bulletin board in some central hallway. You just ran your finger down the long-long page 'til you hit your student #.

I hated my writing composition class teacher. (I hoped to be a writer.) he gave me Ds on every paper. The final exam, in some strange room, given by grad-student. Walked in. Ready set, the drop-down screen was lifted showing 3 subjects to chose from. The final paper was graded by 3 professors independently. I got 3 A's so guess my in-class prof was good after all. but I didn't care to be a writer anymore.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
It is my personal and politically incorrect opinion that UF should not admit anyone who has ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, cheating in school, not saying sir and ma'am to their elders, or not standing for the National Anthem. My university should be for the best of the best, top 7% of academics who want to become servants to our society. If those standards are violated as a student send 'em to FSU or Penn State.
You want to keep a kid out of a school for loitering? Who hasn't cheated in school? Sir? Come on guy. Hell, I cheated on a couple tests in tech school.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Freaking Chair Force.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Never cheated on a test or a friend or my spouse. Honor is a concept I take very seriously. Never cheat, never steal, don't accept as comrades those that do. It limits the number of folks you can call friend though.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Well, it's a case where we don't know all of the facts or circumstances and the powers that be (detectives, judges, university officials, student conduct committee, etc) do apparently know them and have given a determination. I'm sure most of the players were expecting the council to give a harsh determination. As I've said elsewhere, I've had experience with young adults who make poor decisions (many involving "group think") and my take is to let the law do it's thing and once that has happened, let me work on growth points with them.

I'm older than dirt so my reference frame is much different. Going to college is a privilege, not a right.

Being on the football team is also a privilege, not a right.

Mullen should kick them off the team.

They don't represent my University.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
You want to keep a kid out of a school for loitering? Who hasn't cheated in school? Sir? Come on guy. Hell, I cheated on a couple tests in tech school.
I never cheated in school. Engineering undergrad and B-School.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Not "every one", as in each of the nine.
"Everyone", as in anyone who has ever committed a felony.
That would include anyone who was ever in possession of coke, in any amount, and anyone who was ever in possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana. That would eliminate a very large number of good people I knew when we were at UF together.

Last edited:

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I'm older than dirt so my reference frame is much different. Going to college is a privilege, not a right.

Being on the football team is also a privilege, not a right.

Mullen should kick them off the team.

They don't represent my University.

Oh but the do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member