Scott Stricklin and the future of Florida football

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't mean to pile on, which of course I am, but I have a concern, and it's legitimate. It's the new AD's resume being absent of any football experience. Not just football managerial experience. I'm talking football experience of ANY kind. He's a media relations guy who morphed into an administrator role. And yet he's empowered to replace Mac if he fails.

Here's the what if of my message. What if next season turns out out to be a dud -- I'm talking a worse record, no SEC East "title" and no sense of direction -- and UF decides to replace McElwain? What are the prospects for a solid hire under Stricklin? Does the university sub out to a search firm to find a suitable replacement? Are we headed down a rabbit hole?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound dire, but I'm trying to consider all sides of the equation. The best NFL teams have football guys running the show. We don't have a football guy running the show, and football pays the bills.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What do you mean no football experience, morphed into a pencil neck...:faint:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
He hired Dan Mullen. What more do you want?

Addendum: As Jenny on the Railroad points out in a post below Stricken did not hire Dan Mullen. He was hired under the previous AD who was Greg Byrne.

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
What if the Sun unexplainably supernovas and the Earth is incinerated just before kickoff of the UF-UM game in Dallas? You'll feel silly for worrying so much. Not long, mind you, but still..

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What if the Sun unexplainably supernovas and the Earth is incinerated just before kickoff of the UF-UM game in Dallas? You'll feel silly for worrying so much. Not long, mind you, but still..

I'm sure there's a Disney movie you can download on demand.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure there's a Disney movie you can download on demand.

And I'm sure there's a half dozen or so threads this could be merged into.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And I'm sure there's a half dozen or so threads this could be merged into.

And I'm sure you're right as well as the fact that I brought a slightly different perspective into it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We can bash the hiring of Mullet as much as we want but he was damn good hire for Missy State.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Only time will tell. No time to panic just yet. I don't think we've had a losing record yet

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
And I'm sure you're right as well as the fact that I brought a slightly different perspective into it.

Fair enough, it's just all beginning to sound the same.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fair enough, it's just all beginning to sound the same.

So how should we manage this message board? Censors out negative thoughts? Merge every one of them into one homogenous thread? Talk about the weather?

Hey, I tried hedging the OP knowing it wouldn't strike certain types well. I have a concern, one that I feel is legitimate and which hasn't been brought out into the open. If you don't like it, then navigate elsewhere.

Are we cool on this?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
It's all just opinions to me. Everybody welcome.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't mean to pile on,

Sorry, I don't mean to sound dire, but I'm trying to consider all sides of the equation. The best NFL teams have football guys running the show. We don't have a football guy running the show, and football pays the bills.
69676660.jpg

But seriously, it's an angle I hadn't heard and did not know Stricklin's history/inexperience with football operations. Could be a good $$ guy, but lacks the football knowledge. Probably gonna lean on Foley in that department. :headslap:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's all just opinions to me. Everybody welcome.

Hey, man, I got a UF diploma hanging in my office. I got skin in the game. I want this program to thrive. I don't want to see it languish. I hope Stricklin proves me wrong, but please show me something on his resume that's going to make me feel warm and fuzzy should next season not turn out well.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, I'll be constructive, or try. He could also just hop on the Mac train and ride it for,..a while.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, I'll be constructive, or try. He could also just hop on the Mac train and ride it for,..a while.

Describe what needs to happen next season to cause that.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015

I wouldn't care as long as I got my money back for the tickets.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

That may be best case scenario. LOL.

Didn't Foley start in the UF ticket sales office?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb