Scott Stricklin and the future of Florida football

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How do we know he hasn't? Summers and Nord are gone.
Are they? Because I don't think Nord has been fired.

In any event waiting until after NSD to replace them is flushing one more year of Gator football. Very SAD! #makeGatorsgreatagain

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like most here are OK with a guy with zero experience running the country, not sure why it's such a problem with have a guy with zero experience running the athletic department. :dunno:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hate the Clinton Crime Family so much more. Drumpf is growing on me, I admit.

And watching you guys kick and scream is delicious.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I think we're a little premature with doubting Strickland. He's gotten approved for some facility upgrades and hes running around trying to raise money. He inherited mac and I don't know what we should expect him to do at this point. Fire a coach that just won 9 and the east because his recruiting class isnt in the top 10? I'm not a fan of his take on recruiting rankings but he was probably defending the shcitty coach he was saddled with.
While I agree with you T-Rex that's he's just defending the coach he was saddled with, he could have looked at Mac's resume for his 1st 2 years and said I'm new here and I'm gonna bring in my own guy as his 1st order of business but he didn't. Hopefully when the time comes he makes a good hire and not who's hot in the mid major conference

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I hate the Clinton Crime Family so much more. Drumpf is growing on me, I admit.

And watching you guys kick and scream is delicious.
Watching you kick and scream for the last 8 years of Gator football yet still spend a heinous amount of time on an obscure fan site is equally delicious. Also ironic.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I addressed that in a previous post. The scope of duty of the typical major college AD nowadays has risen to that of a full-fledged CEO, and with it comes the need for skills in multiple areas. But when you get down to it, Tim Cook's company lives and dies with the iPhone. How much sense does it make for him to allow the iPhone to languish while focusing on increased sales of MacBooks and iTunes apps?
I'm not following you. If the company lives and dies by product X, then it makes no sense to focus on products Y and Z unless the CEO feels that product X is mature and in a shrinking market and products Y and Z are the future.

I was responding to your notion that the CEO of an engineering company needed to have a background in engineering.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not following you. If the company lives and dies by product X, then it makes no sense to focus on products Y and Z unless the CEO feels that product X is mature and in a shrinking market and products Y and Z are the future.

I was responding to your notion that the CEO of an engineering company needed to have a background in engineering.
IMO football is at its apex.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Glad the conversation is moving beyond the myopic, sophomoric "Mac sux" pablum. The next few days may be give us some indication with who gets hired as assistants. If they are home run hires they're may be some hope. If not... follow the money. So let's say next year is 4-8. The first question is does Stricklin make a move? Does he not because of the buyout? Follow the money. When Stricklin finally makes a move is it for another $3.5M diamond in the rough? We may in for a long ride.
Let's hope McChewin makes some good hires and comes in on NSD with a complete class that addresses our needs.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Let's compare assignments

Strickilin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Stricklin_(athletic_director)
1990–1992 Mississippi State (Media Relations)
1993–1998 Auburn(Media Relations)
1998 Tulane (Assistant AD)
1999–2003 Baylor (Assistant AD - Communications/Marketing)
2003–2008 Kentucky (Associate AD- Media Relations)
2008–2010 Mississippi State (Senior Associate AD- Fund Raising)
2010–2016 Mississippi State (AD)
2016–present Florida (AD)
Byrne https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Byrne_(athletic_director)
1994–1995 Fiesta Bowl
1995–1998 Oregon (fundraising)
1998–2002 Oregon State (assoc AD-development-fund raising)
2002–2005 Kentucky (assoc AD- development-fundraising)
2006–2008 Mississippi State (assoc AD- external affairs)
2008–2010 Mississippi State (AD)
2010–2017 Arizona (AD)
2017–present Alabama (AD)​

Let's compare accomplishments (this is more subjective, I'm only copying and pasting)
Striklin
* Miss St: Named Under Armour’s Athletics Director of the Year in April 2016
* MIss St: Overseen record fundraising for Bulldog Athletics
* Miss St: $11.7 million Mize Pavilion at Humphrey Coliseum, the $25 million Leo W. Seal Jr. Football Complex, as well as $75 million in expansion and upgrades to Davis Wade Stadium​

Byrne
* Miss St: On December 10, 2008, Byrne hired Dan Mullen
* AZ: Byrne took over a long-term $378 million sports expansion project at Arizona, announced the previous fall
* AZ: Eight-year head coach Mike Stoops was relieved of his duties and eventually replaced with Rich Rodriguez
* Bamma: His mere presence there means he's a God, obviously.
That's just one site. Plenty of other info out there.

There's a little blood in the water. Let the thrashing begin.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let's compare assignments

Strickilin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Stricklin_(athletic_director)
1990–1992 Mississippi State (Media Relations)
1993–1998 Auburn(Media Relations)
1998 Tulane (Assistant AD)
1999–2003 Baylor (Assistant AD - Communications/Marketing)
2003–2008 Kentucky (Associate AD- Media Relations)
2008–2010 Mississippi State (Senior Associate AD- Fund Raising)
2010–2016 Mississippi State (AD)
2016–present Florida (AD)
Byrne https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Byrne_(athletic_director)
1994–1995 Fiesta Bowl
1995–1998 Oregon (fundraising)
1998–2002 Oregon State (assoc AD-development-fund raising)
2002–2005 Kentucky (assoc AD- development-fundraising)
2006–2008 Mississippi State (assoc AD- external affairs)
2008–2010 Mississippi State (AD)
2010–2017 Arizona (AD)
2017–present Alabama (AD)​

Let's compare accomplishments (this is more subjective, I'm only copying and pasting)
Striklin
* Miss St: Named Under Armour’s Athletics Director of the Year in April 2016
* MIss St: Overseen record fundraising for Bulldog Athletics
* Miss St: $11.7 million Mize Pavilion at Humphrey Coliseum, the $25 million Leo W. Seal Jr. Football Complex, as well as $75 million in expansion and upgrades to Davis Wade Stadium​

Byrne
* Miss St: On December 10, 2008, Byrne hired Dan Mullen
* AZ: Byrne took over a long-term $378 million sports expansion project at Arizona, announced the previous fall
* AZ: Eight-year head coach Mike Stoops was relieved of his duties and eventually replaced with Rich Rodriguez
* Bamma: His mere presence there means he's a God, obviously.
That's just one site. Plenty of other info out there.

There's a little blood in the water. Let the thrashing begin.

You're helping reinforce my points.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/01/todays_prototypical_college_at.html

The success of a college athletic director, especially in a Power 5 league like the SEC, is judged differently by the school administration and its fanbase.

The administration is mostly concerned about an athletic department staying financially in the black, so it cares more about an AD staying on budget as well as being a great fundraiser.

The fanbase grades an AD on head coaching hires. Did the coach win championships or was the coach a flop?

Somewhere in the middle of all this, the AD has to be approachable, from the highest donor to the common season ticket-holder to the media. He or she needs to drop any hint of arrogance and supremacy. They can't act like they are doing people a favor when they meet, and they can't hide in their office and communicate with their fanbase via a monthly email.

They must understand everything that entails being an AD in the constantly changing world of college athletics, especially the use of social media.

The last two AD hires in the SEC -- Greg Byrne at Alabama on Monday and Scott Stricklin at Florida on Nov. 1 -- check all the above boxes.

It's a blueprint LSU needs to follow if they ever get rid of Joe Alleva, 64, who is none of the above. But since Alleva's contract runs through 2020 and he still has the support of the Board of Supervisors after some average coaching hires and an extremely fuzzy coaching search to replace the fired Les Miles, it might be awhile before LSU is shopping for an AD.

That's hard for some LSU fans to fathom, especially when Alleva's men's basketball coaching hires, Trent Johnson and Johnny Jones, have a combined one NCAA Tournament win in two appearances over the past eight seasons. Nikki Fargas, Alleva's hire as women's coach, has five NCAA tourney wins in four appearances but hasn't made it past the Sweet 16.

On the other hand, LSU women's softball coach Beth Torina, an Alleva hire, has been to five NCAA tourneys in as many years, including two straight trips to the Women's College World Series.

But what has put Alleva in the line of fire is the November 2015 debacle on the near-firing of Miles and this past season's failure to land a big-name coach after Miles was fired in September.

While Alleva is not the most popular figure among LSU fans, Alabama's administration is ecstatic to hire former Arizona and Mississippi State AD Byrne. He turned down the Florida vacancy that went to his protege Stricklin, who succeeded Byrne at Mississippi State, because he had his eye on the Alabama job that is opening thanks to the retirement of Bill Battle.

The 45-year old Byrne and the 46-year old Stricklin, the 2016 Under Armour Athletic Director of the Year, are cut from the same mold. They practically were raised in athletic departments, especially Byrne, whose father Bill was an athletic director for almost 30 years at Oregon, Nebraska and Texas A&M.

When Greg Byrne was in third grade at his California elementary school and had the assignment of writing what he wanted to be when he grew up, it was a simple task for him.

"Everybody was writing about being doctors, veterinarians and firefighters," Byrne once told me. "I wrote about being an athletic director."

One of the main traits Byrne picked up from his father was being a good listener. "My father always says, 'Don't rush to judgment, spend time listening, spend time talking to people,'" Byrne said. "As much as you want to be sometimes, don't be emotional in your decisions."

Something that had endeared Byrne and Stricklin to their constituents is their ability and willingness to connect with anyone, whether it's a millionaire booster or a janitor.

They make everyone feel valued, there's not a hint of condescension. It's basic human kindness, and it can go a long way in being the difference in a successful organization and one that fails.

At Mississippi State in his three years as AD from 2008 to 2010, Byrne hiredDan Mullen as head football coach and John Cohen as baseball coach. Mullen has been to seven straight bowls and has won eight or more games four times. Cohen, who just became AD when Stricklin vacated the job for the Florida spot, went to five NCAA tourneys and was the College World Series runner-up.

At Arizona, Byrne hired Rich Rodriguez as football coach, who's just 36-29 after five seasons. But he also hired highly successful baseball coach Jay Johnson, who took the Wildcats to a third-place finish in last year's College World Series in his first season.

Also, Byrne didn't allow Maryland in 2011 to steal basketball coach Sean Miller, re-signing him to an extension. Miller has taken Arizona to the Elite Eight three times in seven seasons.

"He (Byrne) has a great pulse and feel for the goings on in your program," Miller told the Arizona Republic newspaper. "I know he'll go on to do great things at Alabama. They're lucky to have him."

Byrne definitely has the confidence to get the job done. In accepting the position, he realized that he's probably the AD who will have to eventually replace football coach Nick Saban.

That is almost an impossible task, but Alabama found the right guy in Byrne. He has always enjoyed running toward a fire, which is not good news for LSU and a few other SEC schools.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like most here are OK with a guy with zero experience running the country, not sure why it's such a problem with have a guy with zero experience running the athletic department. :dunno:

By this I have to infer you're paralleling Foley with Obama. We might have a field day with that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
378 million. Wow.

Well, we are thinking about doing a 60 million repaint and if there is money left over we're going to put underskirting under the trailers.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe what athletic departments need are two heads -- a chief financial officer to oversee everything but football and a head of football operations. The head of football operations would be in charge of telling the CFO to stay out of his business.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure what you're talking about. I don't think that many here were OK with Obama and that worked out miserably.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
What if the Sun unexplainably supernovas and the Earth is incinerated just before kickoff of the UF-UM game in Dallas? You'll feel silly for worrying so much. Not long, mind you, but still..

Are suggesting we hire Matt Damon or DiCaprio as OC for that game?

And Trump has more experience in his change purse than Obama ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator