Scott Stricklin: Surging coordinator salaries create uncomfortable optics

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Anyone think we overpaid for Grantham? :D

Scott Stricklin: Surging coordinator salaries create uncomfortable optics

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-sp-football-sec-salaries-20180530-story.html

In 1997, Steve Spurrier became the first $2 million head coach in college football.

A little more than 20 years later, LSU gave defensive coordinator Dave Aranda a four-year deal worth $2.5 million annually.

In Spurrier’s day, a $1 million dollar head coaching salary was a king’s ransom. Now it is becoming the cost of business to hire a top coordinator in the SEC.

Alabama pays both of its coordinators more than $1 million each.

“It’s what the market bears,” Crimson Tide athletic director Greg Byrne said Wednesday at the SEC Spring Meetings.

It’s also becoming a bad look and serves as a textbook example of the excess of big-time college football.

“I think it’s one of the biggest challenges we have in college athletics, is what our coaches are making,” UF AD Scott Stricklin said. “They are in a market that allows them to enjoy those kinds of salaries, but I do think the optics of it are not helpful.”

UF announced earlier this month new defensive coordinator Todd Grantham’s three-year, $4.47 million deal. Grantham, who is scheduled to earn $1.39 million next season, is the UF assistant coach to earn $1 million annually.

He surely will not be the last.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said he sees no end in sight for escalating assistant coaching salaries.

“At the College Football Playoff I was asked the question, and I said, I do think there’s an end,” Sankey said. “Then the next question you’ll ask is where is it? I don’t know.

“There is an end, but where it is and what the cause might be I’m not going to jump into that prediction.”

Sankey said all SEC coaching salaries for decades have undergone university approval by independent governing body untethered to athletics.

A decade ago, escalating salaries concerned university presidents.

A 2009 Knight Commission survey of 95 Division I-A university presidents reported more than 85 percent called compensation levels "excessive" for football and basketball coaches.

Since then, many people have grown numb to rapidly rising head coaching salaries. Five SEC head coaches, including UF’s Dan Mullen, make more than $5 million.

Only Missouri’s Barry Odom ($2.35 million) makes less than $2.7 million.

But Mullen, Odom and the other 12 SEC head coaches are the face of a football program that also serves as for the entire university. Meanwhile, coordinators mostly remain behind the scenes, but are beginning to receive salaries that outstripped head coaching compensation not long ago.

In 2012, the average head coaching salary in Division-I college football was $1.64 million.

Some have suggest a salary cap for coaches, but legally it is not possible and would lead to anti-trust lawsuits, Stricklin said. At the same time, it is increasingly difficult to put a good spin on rising salaries that border on extreme.

“It would be great just from a budgetary standpoint,” he said of a cap. “I’m appreciative of the coaches we have and the job that they do, but the optics of that are really uncomfortable.”

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Still about two weeks shy of one year since Stricklin raised Butters to $4.86m per.

Talk about optics.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I actually think a college baseball coach making a million or more a year in a non profit sport is a bigger issue than that but coaching salaries have gotten out of hand.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
just what you want to hear from your AD when you're already lagging behind the big boys in basically every category.

:facepalm:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wish I was younger..... for many reasons... lol

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Can't believe we're paying that kinda money to Grantham. Wth? Why not spend yhat kinda money on an elite coordinator? Our administrators would rather look like they're keeping up rather than actually keeping up.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can't believe we're paying that kinda money to Grantham. Wth? Why not spend yhat kinda money on an elite coordinator? Our administrators would rather look like they're keeping up rather than actually keeping up.
Add it to the growing list of worthless contract for a dud.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why all the hate on Grantham? Didn't he really improve Louisville and Miss States defense taking them to a top level defensive ranking and I think his defenses at Georgia were pretty good except for one bad season.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine a job in which the vast majority in their positions are paid enormous sums to fail. Sometimes many times with different teams. That is pro and college football coaching.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gators_Gouged.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.