BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
An early top 25 from SDS:

No surprises in the top 5.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/early-2017-preseason-top-25/

1. Alabama
Alabama has proven that it simply doesn’t matter who leaves for the NFL. The program has practically become too big to fail at this point. So many fantastic players were lost off last season’s national title-winning team. If anything, the Crimson Tide are better this year. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that they’re even better next year, too.

2. Ohio State
The silver lining of the Fiesta Bowl shutout was the fact that Ohio State was the youngest team in America entering 2016. The Buckeyes will lose some underclassmen and a couple of key upperclassmen to the NFL, but they’ll return a wealth of talent. Urban Meyer isn’t going anywhere.

3. Florida State
Florida State loses its two biggest superstars in Dalvin Cook and Demarcus Walker. Cook was arguably the nation’s best running back. Walker was perhaps the country’s most productive pass rusher. But aside from those two, the Seminoles return just about everybody — offense, defense and special teams. While Jimbo Fisher isn’t Nick Saban on the recruiting trail, he’s pretty close and has stockpiled an embarrassment of riches in Tallahassee.

4. USC
After a rough December, USC (like Penn State) became a darling of college football led by freshman quarterback Sam Darnold. The wild Rose Bowl victory will stay with fans throughout the offseason. The hype will be aplenty for the Trojans as they enter the 2017 season.

5. Penn State
The Lions were a field goal from winning 10 consecutive games with wins against three top-10 teams. And that high-powered offense? The Lions could return every player who received an offensive touch in 2016. Kirk Herbstreit already put Penn State in his preseason top five. Don’t be surprised if he’s right.

6. Oklahoma
After an impressive win against Auburn in the Sugar Bowl, Oklahoma fans are already speculating on a great 2017 season as quarterback Baker Mayfield returns. The Oklahoma team has plenty of talent all over the field, and Bob Stoops has them competing for Big 12 championships every year.

7. Washington
The Huskies, led by Chris Petersen, vaulted onto the national scene and made it known that they plan to be a force in college football … even if they suffered a near-blowout loss to the Crimson Tide in the Peach Bowl. Jake Browning is back, and Petersen is one of the more respected coaches football. Expect Washington to battle USC for the Pac-12 title on a regular basis in the years ahead.

8. Clemson
Dabo Swinney has the Clemson program rolling in the same fashion as some of the top programs in the land such as Alabama, Ohio State and Florida State, but losing a talent like Deshaun Watson is never easy. Regardless, the Tigers will battle Florida State for control of the ACC in 2017.

9. Michigan
It was supposed to be Michigan’s year in 2016. It wasn’t. Still, Jim Harbaugh’s recruits will finally become Michigan’s foundation and the Wolverines will return one of the top defensive lines in the country. Michigan won’t have 2016 hype, but it won’t exactly be rebuilding in 2017.

10. Wisconsin
Remember when the Badgers weren’t supposed to finish 2016 in the top 25? They earned a New Year’s Six bowl win with a young, but talented team. Wisconsin’s preseason ranking could change with the draft decisions of All-Americans Ryan Ramczyk and T.J. Watt, both of whom would be the best players on their respective units. Either way, pencil the Badgers in for double-digit wins again in 2017.

11. Oklahoma State
The Cowboys smoked a good Colorado team in the Alamo Bowl, but most importantly, Mike Gundy gets his QB-WR duo of Mason Rudolph and James Washington back in 2017. Expect some big numbers from these two.

12. LSU
Ed Orgeron perhaps got one of the biggest victories of anyone this bowl season in the overwhelming effort against Louisville. LSU always has plenty of talent, and an open quarterback competition this offseason under new OC Matt Canada means LSU is one of the more interesting teams as we approach 2017 kickoff.

13. Georgia
The hype started as soon as Nick Chubb and Sony Michel — and two key defenders — announced they were returning for their senior season. No SEC team outside of Alabama — and few anywhere — can match Georgia’s backfield, which includes three eventual NFL players in Chubb, Michel and Jacob Eason. They’ll enter 2017 as runaway favorites in the East, where Florida is still struggling at quarterback and Tennessee is essentially starting over. Eason’s occasional freshman woes were predictable, but he’s still the best pure passing prospect in the SEC. It would be a mild upset if he doesn’t lead the league in yards and touchdowns next season. Preseason rankings are based largely on returning skill position star power — and Georgia has as much of that as anybody.

14. Louisville
Lamar Jackson returns, and Louisville will beat up on enough weak teams to be in the mix in 2017. Can they hold up against big boy teams like Florida State and Clemson? It’s doubtful.

15. Florida
Florida enters the 2017 season with more questions than answers. Florida loses several elite players on defense who will be playing on Sundays, and depth at linebacker and defensive line is somewhat thin. Parallel that with no proven starter at quarterback, and Florida has several questions. The Gators have to hope freshman QB Feleipe Franks is the real deal, and while the offense returns RB Jordan Scarlett and WRs Antonio Callaway and Tyrie Cleveland, somebody has to get them the football. Will it be Franks? Jim McElwain sure has to hope that’s the case.

16. West Virginia

17. Auburn

18. Colorado

19. Stanford

20. Georgia Tech

21. Texas

22. Pittsburgh

23. Ole Miss

24. Utah

25. Virginia Tech

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I am not sure who you would put in there, but my only ? is with Ohio state and FSU. I actually believe OSU is worse off that Barrett is coming back. His production has really tailed off and it seems that teams know his MO. And FSU, Cook was a beast, not only as a running back but a receiver coming out of the backfield. I really think their offense is going to be completely different.

As far as us, I think that is about right.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am not sure who you would put in there, but my only ? is with Ohio state and FSU. I actually believe OSU is worse off that Barrett is coming back. His production has really tailed off and it seems that teams know his MO. And FSU, Cook was a beast, not only as a running back but a receiver coming out of the backfield. I really think their offense is going to be completely different.

As far as us, I think that is about right.

Ohio State just hired a new OC and a new QB coach.

FSU recruits about as well as Ohio State and Alabama. They'll replace Cook easily. They return a lot on offense, but do lose a few on D (glad to see Walker leave!).

Clemson losing their QB will be costly...but their D is young and stout.

With Michigan ranked 9th that'll be a good matchup in Dallas: #9 vs. #15. I just hope we have a serviceable QB.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cook was the only thing really going for FSU. Rudolph was supposed to be this huge recruit and just seemed to be average to good. They should be good, but Jimbo always underperforms

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At least we made the top 15 and garnered a write-up - though not an optimistic one.
Losses on D and lack of a proven QB being the two biggest issues.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
15 is pretty high imo with so many questions still to be answered. We still don't know if we'll have a serviceable QB yet. We DO KNOW LDR ain't it.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Probably the only poll that will have us in the top 15. Funny that the vols didn't make the top 25. I'm sure their fans will take that well.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Article is WAAAAAaaaayyyyy WRONG!

Anybody who doesn't have TN in the 7-15 ranked positions and highest ranked among the SEC East teams is obviously not following the hype train. This guy doesn't even have them ranked at all. This is a farce, as such, I take UF being ranked at 15 as just as much unfounded hooey.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Right in line with our recruiting ranking. Good enough for second in the East or first and another throttling at the hands of Bama.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How many years can we go into a season with more questions than answers...sheesh...

What positive answers do we have going into 2017? I'd like to see them listed ... 1,2,3,etc.
Guess, for accuracy, we should wait 'til after NSD? ... and wait for Mac to complement one of our trial QBs?
1) ... Mark Thompson becoming the real-deal might be one?
2) ... Dre Massey's first season might be one?
3) ... full use & faith in our backups might be one?
4) ... Shannon's brand of D might be one?
5) ... Eddy even better?
???????

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cook was the only thing really going for FSU. Rudolph was supposed to be this huge recruit and just seemed to be average to good. They should be good, but Jimbo always underperforms
I hate to say it, but RB Cam Akers who is the #4 nationally ranked player is going offer relief to FSU's ground game. I bet he starts game 1, if not very early in the season. The kid is ridiculous and it sucks!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of faith there with us and Georgia. It will be short lived for us if the new QB isn't an improvement over the last 7 years.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thinking the pOSU has more of a down year than they are projecting. Looks as if UGAly will replace UToothless on the Knobbing slobfest offseason hype train. Not sure what to think of us at #15 way too high IMO, no buying it. Lets see how long Dumbo can stay near to the top of the pack.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
9. Michigan
It was supposed to be Michigan’s year in 2016. It wasn’t. Still, Jim Harbaugh’s recruits will finally become Michigan’s foundation and the Wolverines will return one of the top defensive lines in the country. Michigan won’t have 2016 hype, but it won’t exactly be rebuilding in 2017.
----------------------------------------------------------

I think they are losing most of their starters there. They may have a good D line again but it won't be a real veteran line.

Edit: I guess with Hurst deciding to stay D line will be the one spot they have some good experienced guys coming back.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to say it, but RB Cam Akers who is the #4 nationally ranked player is going offer relief to FSU's ground game. I bet he starts game 1, if not very early in the season. The kid is ridiculous and it sucks!
It's possible. Plenty of can't misses who do. Not to mention Tallahassee isn't exactly conducive to making players disciplined.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
15 seems too high to me. I would be happier in the 20's to start the season and win our way up.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Great, another one of their RBs will gut us for the next 3 years. Rinse and repeat.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Article is WAAAAAaaaayyyyy WRONG!

Anybody who doesn't have TN in the 7-15 ranked positions and highest ranked among the SEC East teams
I hate to say it but I think Brick by Brick ends next year.

I think even the Hillbillies are starting to catch on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.