SDS: Realistic set of expectations for Dan Mullen's first year at Florida

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by BMF, Feb 11, 2018.

1. chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime
    BANNED

Oxbucks:
    $76
    Ratings:
    +1,754 / -76
    Im sorry bro but you have to take off the O&B glasses...

Miss St is probably a loss. A team that returns 17 starters and hosts their former head coach.
    UGA is not a toss up. They have a ton of talent and are likely going to be better than us for some time till we land elite talent
    FSU Who knows.

Sprinkle in a game here and there and I figure we probably go 7-5 or 8-4 at best.

2. lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $343
    Ratings:
    +408 / -7
    Don't worry about it, I could piss off Mother Theresa - no problema.

3. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $385
    Ratings:
    +1,820 / -44
    No O&B glasses here, just realistic expectation that if Mullen is a coach worthy of this job he will beat every team UF has more talent than. That is what a coach should be able to do. By talent of course I mean more than star gazing.

4. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $804
    Ratings:
    +918 / -69
    Differ how regarding his coaching? I would think most tamu and lsu fans are thinking that if they were coached well they'd win that game pretty easily. I assume auburn thinks that when they're good at all they love to play an msu team that they just beat 49-10. It's pretty clear that niether team's admin thinks much of his coaching since he was never strongly considered for any of the coaching jobs. So no, I don't think anyone is scared of playing mullen, bc I don't think anyone thinks he's that good.

I think he's a solid, but unspectacular coach. Since he only beat those teams when they had coaching dumpster fires. I guess if you mean that bama was lucky in that they got 100+ yards more than msu so they were able to overcome a few huge 3rd down conversions, then yea, they were lucky. One could also say that msu was lucky the game was even close since their yards/play was awful and they got outgained in a big way. Same reason umass was lucky to be in that game against msu, right? We're not saying he was lucky to beat 4-8 umass are we?The umass team that lost to the Old Dominion Monarchs and Coastal Carolina Chanticleers... I really hope we're not just going by close scores and are looking at what actually happened in the game. A coach that averaged the #25 recruiting class, but got lucky to beat umass the year after losing to S Alabama, byu and kentucky wouldn't be anyone I'd want at UF.

Regarding your theory of low TO ratios (assuming you mean margin)... the last 5 years msu was 74, 22, 84, 53, 31. 2 out of 5 in the top 50 is low?

5. MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,242
    Ratings:
    +12,368 / -106
    If you’re going to be disappointed with anything less than 10 wins, prepare yourself now.

6. Blacklabgator

Blacklabgator Lurking Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $285
    Ratings:
    +1,583 / -55
    So do we fire him now or let him coach a season ?

7. Gatorraid81

Gatorraid81 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $220
    Ratings:
    +1,278 / -29

My God, this is being positive. I hope your right. I’m thinking more like 8-9 wins tops. I would love to beat the Noles more than anybody next year, we’ve got to turn that series back around and take back the state.

8. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $546
    Ratings:
    +1,141 / -13
    I think he can turn it around with a 6-8 class. Doesn’t have to be top 5. But I actually believe we will kill it with the 19 class. I will be surprised if it’s not top 5.

9. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $546
    Ratings:
    +1,141 / -13
    Ever the pumper.....I see 9-3 with a solid bowl win for a 10 win season. Go Gator’s!

10. lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $343
    Ratings:
    +408 / -7
    Man, I think you may be too
    You've got a pretty rosy outlook for a leatherneck, don't ya? Keep up the good work, we can use a little sunlight and oxygen around here. I'm not ready to make any predictions, but I'm a lot more encouraged by what is going on NOW - as opposed to what preceded. Forever faithful - Go Gators!

11. Acecustis

Acecustis Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $44
    Ratings:
    +113 / -13
    Nick Saban with an outmanned Sparty team was 7-12 against ranked opponents and I think 3 of those wins were in his fifth year. Spurrier at Duke was 2-4. Harbaugh his first 2 years at an outmanned Stanford team he was 1-5. Les Miles 3-10 at outmanned OK St. Just a few examples of successful coaches that struggled with ranked opponents when they coached for schools that weren’t able to bring in equal talent as their ranked competition. I have my reservations about Dan Mullen but has nothing to do with his record against ranked teams. Only a 5* fool makes that argument.

12. Durfish

Durfish Blue Raja
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $938
    Ratings:
    +941 / -8
    I think it’s more of a case for setting himself up to b!tch and moan about Mullen for the next year than having real expectations that it’ll happen.

13. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $761
    Ratings:
    +5,134 / -276
    Ha. You are already putting it to good use. Trying to even defend his 4-29 record(2-17 ranked vs ranked) is a joke. And you're a 5* excuse maker. What's your nic on swamp gas?

14. Acecustis

Oxbucks:
    $44
    Ratings:
    +113 / -13
    I don’t go on there anymore. Too many clowns. My point still stands though and you can’t really dispute it.

15. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $761
    Ratings:
    +5,134 / -276
    I just did. Mullen has the worst record in CFB history vs ranked teams. Not much to dispute.

But hey, nine seasons in...probably an aberration. Not enough data points. Nine seasons. LOL.

GTFO.

16. Acecustis

Oxbucks:
    $44
    Ratings:
    +113 / -13
    Saban 5 seasons in and was 7-12. That’s pretty bad. Les Miles in 4 years 3-10. That stinks. No way either one of them would be good at real college football programs...

17. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $761
    Ratings:
    +5,134 / -276
    NINE YEARS. Do you think that's a small sample? Yes or no is all I want in response from you.

18. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $761
    Ratings:
    +5,134 / -276
    Give me their records in years 5-9 please...then let's talk. Cool.

19. Acecustis

Oxbucks:
    $44
    Ratings:
    +113 / -13
    Nope. I think it is a sample of what he did at a school with no recruiting resources. Is 5 years a small sample?

20. GatorStud

GatorStud Score Points, Be Happy
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $268
    Ratings:
    +2,108 / -10
    Sustained Drives > Punts
    Tackles for Losses > Whiffs
    TD > FG
    > 8 Wins
    I'm good and proclaim a great transition year