SDS: Realistic set of expectations for Dan Mullen's first year at Florida

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Give me their records in years 5-9 please...then let's talk. Cool.

At different schools? See now you sound like a Swamp Ass member. You know, someone who has no idea what they are watching when a football game is on TV

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
4-29 is 14%
2-17 is 12%

7-12 is 58%
3-10 is 30%

Yeah, those look the same.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. I think it is a sample of what he did at a school with no recruiting resources. Is 5 years a small sample?
Let's make a list:

worst SEC venue
no recruiting sources
outmanned
hardest division in football

Feel free to add as you go along. Again, I'm sorry he's going to need to show me on the field some big wins before I'm truly on board. I'd love a top 5 class next year with some big uglies on both lines. Some nasty maulers. Need some attitude back around here.

I appreciate the back and forth but I'm tapping out. You've convinced me his historical worst record vs ranked teams isn't a fair reflection of his coaching acumen. He was just biding his time. Getting his stuff pushed in by South Alabama so he could take the FL job. All part of Dan's master plan.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Let's make a list:

worst SEC venue
no recruiting sources
outmanned

Feel free to add as you go along. Again, I'm sorry he's going to need to show me on the field some big wins before I'm truly on board. I'd love a top 5 class next year with some big uglies on both lines. Some nasty maulers. Need some attitude back around here.

I appreciate the back and forth but I'm tapping out. You've convinced me his historical worst record vs ranked teams isn't a fair reflection of his coaching acumen. He was just biding his time. Getting his stuff pushed in by South Alabama so he could take the FL job. All part of Dan's master plan.

I’m right there with you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...siana-monroe-beat-alabama-and-nick-saban/amp/

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So you are saying there is still hope for Mullen at UF!!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I mean thus far Mullen hasn't won any games at UF so idk how we will do this year...

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Man, I think you may be too

You've got a pretty rosy outlook for a leatherneck, don't ya? Keep up the good work, we can use a little sunlight and oxygen around here. I'm not ready to make any predictions, but I'm a lot more encouraged by what is going on NOW - as opposed to what preceded. Forever faithful - Go Gators!

I think we start 5-0. 5-3 down the stretch. Most obvious prediction: this board will overreact to the 5-0. This board will meltdown over the 5-3. That’s how we do.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Let's make a list:

worst SEC venue
no recruiting sources
outmanned

I don't know if you're right or wrong about the likelihood of DM failing - anymore than you do really. But strongly held opinions are not necessarily the same thing as facts, and you're really digging a hole for yourself if DM succeeds. You indicate he has to show you something before you make up your mind - sounds to me like you already have.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
4-29 is 14%
2-17 is 12%

7-12 is 58%
3-10 is 30%

Yeah, those look the same.

I think he was saying Saban was 7 wins and 12 losses, no way that winning % is over 50 %. So once you refigure all these numbers, they will all be worse, as will Mullen's numbers will still look just as bad compared to these two coaches.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he was saying Saban was 7 wins and 12 losses, no way that winning % is over 50 %. So once you refigure all these numbers, they will all be worse, as will Mullen's numbers will still look just as bad compared to these two coaches.
Truth.

4-29 is 12%
2-17 is 11%

7-12 is 37%
3-10 is 23%

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017

Should have been easy to read and why I ignored his response

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Nope. I think it is a sample of what he did at a school with no recruiting resources. Is 5 years a small sample?
Going 7 and 12 is winning 37%. How is that similar to 2 and 17, a 10% winning percentage?:headslap:. Mullen owns the all time record for futility ranked vs ranked, a record so bad that statistically it will be almost impossible to ever be broken.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Ok so we have clearly established using advanced analytics that Dan Mullen has not outperformed Nick Saban...he of 5 national championships. Of course no one else has either.

Given that Nick is not inclined to come to UF...and an extended period where the most elite coaches have all declined any overture to coach here....we might just have to sit back and see if DM with a greater talent pool to recruit from than MSU can improve on his performance. Maybe a Dabo like resurrection. Dabo was regularly taunted by SOS and was his bytch early on. His early performance was not entirely impressive to say the least. He’s now considered an elite coach and even beat the vaunted Saban for a NC.

I’m going to give DM the opportunity to show what he can do at Florida. At this moment in time it just does not matter what he did with MSU players. He seems to making good moves. He seems to be doing things right. I just want to see him coach them up now. I want to see what he puts on the field, what their intensity is and what the results here will be. If we were still in the selection process we should rightfully be disecting his MSU performance. But he is ours now....not the guy I wanted. I’d like to give him at least ONE season of support and positivity before we meltdown.

As I said...I’m predicting 9-3 followed by a bowl win. A solid start to a new era.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Ok so we have clearly established using advanced analytics that Dan Mullen has not outperformed Nick Saban...he of 5 national championships. Of course no one else has either.

Given that Nick is not inclined to come to UF...and an extended period where the most elite coaches have all declined any overture to coach here....we might just have to sit back and see if DM with a greater talent pool to recruit from than MSU can improve on his performance. Maybe a Dabo like resurrection. Dabo was regularly taunted by SOS and was his bytch early on. His early performance was not entirely impressive to say the least. He’s now considered an elite coach and even beat the vaunted Saban for a NC.

I’m going to give DM the opportunity to show what he can do at Florida. At this moment in time it just does not matter what he did with MSU players. He seems to making good moves. He seems to be doing things right. I just want to see him coach them up now. I want to see what he puts on the field, what their intensity is and what the results here will be. If we were still in the selection process we should rightfully be disecting his MSU performance. But he is ours now....not the guy I wanted. I’d like to give him at least ONE season of support and positivity before we meltdown.

As I said...I’m predicting 9-3 followed by a bowl win. A solid start to a new era.

Right on the money, yet again. There are a couple of points that people have tried to make over and over, which you address here very well. Allow me to pile on a little more. The job at UF, for whatever reason, is not everyone's dream job. The two most successful coaches in school history left "prematurely" and both went on to success elsewhere. I know there is plenty of room for argument about why they left, but both left long before actually retiring and there is no arguing that. While I'm at it, how many times did Stoops turn us down? Now I personally think that many of our hiring issues were a direct result of Foley's consistent failures as a CFB AD, but that was then and this is now. The underlying fact is that UF is a pressure cooker, due to the conference we play in, and the presence of at least two other in-state heavyweights. And I'm not even going into fan expectations. And like it or not, not everyone cares to deal with all that. These are not excuses, these are facts.

CK was my first choice, but he apparently had so many demands or conditions, and was so "off-putting" during the great NH excursion to kiss the ring, that we decided to move on. Frost was NB bound come hell or high water. Exit little piggy numero dos. That brings us to where we are today. I wasn't thrilled with crapping out on CK and SF - I'm also one of those who was not thrilled with the DM hire, certainly not at first. I looked at the poor record against ranked teams AT MSU, and had the same reaction some others have had. But the idea that there are lots and lots of high quality HCs out there who are just clamoring to come to UF is total BS. Especially with the mess left behind by Foley, Muschamp and MC Numb. Now add all that to the good staff hires, the very strong TRANSITIONAL CLASS, and the energy and hard work DM has brought to a program that was on life support. At this point, DM seems likely to succeed at pulling us out of the ditch - at the very least. After a good strong start, he deserves a chance to do what he came here to do. The self-defeating, insatiable rage for "perfection" is never going to end for some. Me, I prefer living in the real world - glories and warts included. Go Gators!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb