Founding Member
What's up with Vandy's guy?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, where does Vandy get that kind of money?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Williams is breaking bank. Vandy actually doesn't have an athletics department anymore. Williams is the vice chancellor for all things athletics including rec, intramural, etc. Still that is a crazy salary. At least they won baseball last year. Oh yeah can't forget women's bowling a few years ago.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fooley gets paid alot for skimping on coaches and bragging about not getting in arms races with the best schools in the SEC.

Maybe Vandy is the goal afterall. We're headed in the correct direction.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n159059 said:
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph some of you are obsessed.

Obsessed is a strong word. Let's call it unbridled affection.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The best should be paid the highest. Name another school in the last decade or so that has 2 national titles in the two high profile sports along with all the other titles/

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Foley is one of the best in the business and our success is unmatched...but he is not without fault and has made some blunders in football...some serious blunders. Muschamp was a disaster from the get go and the constant extending of his contract and stubborness to fire him have lead to this crap we see now. We've fallen far behind other schools in facilities and that also needs to be fixed...appears from everything that has been said that is being addressed. He at least deserves to see if this hire is going to be the right one.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Seems about right. Vandy has a lot of big money grads, and might have legacy money as well. They also have a puny stadium that costs little to maintain yet get their full share every year.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
From the article by Chris Low:

"USA Today did a study Wednesday of athletic director salaries at the 124 FBS schools. According to the study, Vanderbilt's David Williams was far and away No. 1 on the list at $3,239,678. As is pointed out in USA Today's piece, Williams wore several different hats at Vanderbilt during the period covered by the university's most recent available federal tax return. He was vice chancellor for university affairs and athletics, general counsel and university secretary for Vanderbilt and its medical center as well as a tenured law professor. As of July 2012, Williams' title changed to vice chancellor for athletics and university affairs and athletics director. He no longer had the roles of general counsel and university secretary, but remains a tenured law professor."

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, considering the facts that he's worked for UF for almost 40 years, has been the AD for the last 23 years, as AD has had one of the most successful athletic programs in the last 25 years and is in charge of an athletic program that takes in around $150 million a year, I would say his pay is not unreasonable.

Can't be said for what he paid Muschamp and the $1million goodbye package to Meyer, however.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Foley has made some huge mistakes . He was a good ad 8 years ago but he's behind the times. And he made a terrible hire that was questionable from the get go and then fired him a year too late. It was a huge risk that but a big dent in the university's money maker. The hireing of mcelwain didn't go all that smoothly either. He's had a good run but I think it could possibly be time for a change. The college football landscape is changing and it's an arm race. Why wouldn't we try to be in front of it? These tv contracts make you bullet proof financially. I guess the ipf is a good start but I hear we're way behind in dorms , dinning halls and other facilities.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n160115 said:
Foley has made some huge mistakes . He was a good ad 8 years ago but he's behind the times. And he made a terrible hire that was questionable from the get go and then fired him a year too late. It was a huge risk that but a big dent in the university's money maker. The hireing of mcelwain didn't go all that smoothly either. He's had a good run but I think it could possibly be time for a change. The college football landscape is changing and it's an arm race. Why wouldn't we try to be in front of it? These tv contracts make you bullet proof financially. I guess the ipf is a good start but I hear we're way behind in dorms , dinning halls and other facilities.

There are only a dozen or so Div-1 athletic departments that make money. It's not like there is a bottomless barrel of cash to pull from. I see some people on here acting like we are playing with Monopoly money and should pay 8-10 million a year for a coach, have the Ritz-Carlton run our athletic housing and have a staff of 30 topless massueses on staff to take care of our already pampered 18 and 19 year old football players.

While Florida is a well to do program, there are no oil billionaires or shoe company billionaires with more money than sense ready to fund the whims of the fan base. Eventually there is going to have to be a ceiling on what is reasonable to spend on a game played by college kids.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dave Hart $800,000+. lololol

That's name alone is a great example of why Foley is valuable. We've been scandal-free for 25 years, and won many, many titles. He's got an excellent handle on compliance and a good track record for hiring coaches. We're certainly profitable, but there are measures well beyond that which make him worth what he's paid.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n160121 said:
There are only a dozen or so Div-1 athletic departments that make money. It's not like there is a bottomless barrel of cash to pull from. I see some people on here acting like we are playing with Monopoly money and should pay 8-10 million a year for a coach, have the Ritz-Carlton run our athletic housing and have a staff of 30 topless massueses on staff to take care of our already pampered 18 and 19 year old football players.

While Florida is a well to do program, there are no oil billionaires or shoe company billionaires with more money than sense ready to fund the whims of the fan base. Eventually there is going to have to be a ceiling on what is reasonable to spend on a game played by college kids.
Then how do you explain the Mississippi schools having better facilities? They don't have shoe billionaires in their booster club. It's pretty well documented that Foley is behind in the arms race. It's not unreasonable to say it. My only worry is, if he's fired how will that affect our relationship with the big money guy's. He's been around a long time how comfortable would they be dealing with someone else?

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n160163 said:
Then how do you explain the Mississippi schools having better facilities? They don't have shoe billionaires in their booster club. It's pretty well documented that Foley is behind in the arms race. It's not unreasonable to say it. My only worry is, if he's fired how will that affect our relationship with the big money guy's. He's been around a long time how comfortable would they be dealing with someone else?

It's freakin' Mississippi. They're priorities have been f**ked up since their state was first chartered. They have the worst education system in the country.

So when does this "arms race" end? I'd like to know what you or other folks consider a reasonable amount of money to spend on coaches and facilities. And please don't give a nebulous answer of "whatever it takes" or "what the market dictates" because those two things are not necessarily reasonable. And if you are a season ticket holder as I am, how much more are you willing to shell out to pay for all these very expensive items in order to keep up with the Joneses?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n160003 said:
Actually, considering the facts that he's worked for UF for almost 40 years, has been the AD for the last 23 years, as AD has had one of the most successful athletic programs in the last 25 years and is in charge of an athletic program that takes in around $150 million a year, I would say his pay is not unreasonable.

Can't be said for what he paid Muschamp and the $1million goodbye package to Meyer, however.
That bag of cash was actually paid to get him to come back for one more year giving Foley time to seat a new coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n160163 said:
Uni
So between Mississippi State and Ole Miss their only recognized athletic National Title is football 1960 Ole Miss co National Champion with Minnesota. University of Florida has 33 (21 since Foley took over) National Title teams. I don't think either Mississippi Schools are winning an arms race against Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.