SEC Football Coaches Previous Head Coaching Experience

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
While waiting around for the announcement of whom the next UF head football coach is going to be I did a little research. As we all know, one of the big criticisms of Will Muschamp was his previous lack of head coaching experience, and Jeremy Foley has made that a major criterion in hiring the next UF head coach. Here is a list of the current SEC head coaches and their previous head coaching experience. Numbers in parenthesis are the number of years of head coaching at a previous destination.Comments.

SEC WEST

Alabama - Nick Saban
Toledo (1)
Michigan State (5)
LSU (5)
Miami Dolphins (2)

Auburn - Gus Malzahn
Arkansas State (1)

Arkansas - Bret Bielema
Wisconsin (7)

LSU - Les Miles
Oklahoma State (4)

Mississippi State - Dan Mullen
None

Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze
Lambuth (2)
Arkansas State (1)

Texas A&M - Kevin Sumlin
Houston (4)

SEC EAST

Georgia - Mark Richt
None

Kentucky - Mark Stoops
None

Missouri - Gary Pinkel
Toledo (10)

South Carolina - Steve Spurrier
Tampa Bay Bandits (3)
Duke (3)
Florida (12)
Washington Redskins (2)

Tennessee - Butch Jones
Central Michigan (3)
Cincinnati (2)

Vanderbilt - Derek Mason
None

No definite conclusions except that most SEC head coaches did have previous head coaching experience, but Dan Mullen, Mark Richt, Mark Stoops, and Derek Mason did not have any. One thing that stood out to me was that two of the hottest coaches in the SEC, Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn, each coached one year at Arkansas State.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Bryan Harsin (now at Boise) also coached for 1 year at Arkansas State.

Malzahn also spent many, many years as a head coach of a powerhouse HS. Not that being a HS coach comes anywhere close to being a college head coach, it is head coaching experience. He developed his offense and management skills during that time. In fact, one of his HS QBs is his top offensive assistant (who I suspect will become a college head coach real soon).

Freeze also spent time as a head coach of an NAIA school and was also a HS head coach.

Mullen made a fast rise. UF was his first OC job. In 2000 he was a GA at Notre Dame....in 2005 he was the OC at UF.....in 2009 he was the head coach at an SEC school.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;n109989 said:
While waiting around for the announcement of whom the next UF head football coach is going to be I did a little research. As we all know, one of the big criticisms of Will Muschamp was his previous lack of head coaching experience, and Jeremy Foley has made that a major criterion in hiring the next UF head coach. Here is a list of the current SEC head coaches and their previous head coaching experience. Numbers in parenthesis are the number of years of head coaching at a previous destination.Comments.

SEC WEST

Alabama - Nick Saban
Toledo (1)
Michigan State (5)
LSU (5)
Miami Dolphins (2)

Auburn - Gus Malzahn
Arkansas State (1)

Arkansas - Bret Bielema
Wisconsin (7)

LSU - Les Miles
Oklahoma State (4)

Mississippi State - Dan Mullen
None

Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze
Lambuth (2)
Arkansas State (1)

Texas A&M - Kevin Sumlin
Houston (4)

SEC EAST

Georgia - Mark Richt
None

Kentucky - Mark Stoops
None

Missouri - Gary Pinkel
Toledo (10)

South Carolina - Steve Spurrier
Tampa Bay Bandits (3)
Duke (3)
Florida (12)
Washington Redskins (2)

Tennessee - Butch Jones
Central Michigan (3)
Cincinnati (2)

Vanderbilt - Derek Mason
None

No definite conclusions except that most SEC head coaches did have previous head coaching experience, but Dan Mullen, Mark Richt, Mark Stoops, and Derek Mason did not have any. One thing that stood out to me was that two of the hottest coaches in the SEC, Hugh Freeze and Gus Malzahn, each coached one year at Arkansas State.

OJ, I think you figured it out. Hire Arkansas' coach. They know how to pick a good one.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
jmskjrgator;n110140 said:
OJ, I think you figured it out. Hire Arkansas' coach. They know how to pick a good one.

There last three Coaches Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss), Gus Malzahn (Auburn), and Bryan Harsin (Boise State). Currently they have Blake Anderson former Offensive Coordinator at UNC under former UF Offensive Coordinator Larry Fedora.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Abe Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy who told him not to go to the theatre; Kennedy had a secretary named Evelyn Lincoln who warned him not to go to Dallas. What does it mean? Not a damn thing.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
oxrageous;n110248 said:
Abe Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy who told him not to go to the theatre; Kennedy had a secretary named Evelyn Lincoln who warned him not to go to Dallas. What does it mean? Not a damn thing.
Inside job is what that tells me. Damn you LBJ!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
oxrageous;n110248 said:

S4MYFQO.gif

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n110248 said:

BBC, iyam.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Outside of Mark Richt the most successful SEC coaches over the past 10 years have had prior experience. But Richt has not won the most important trophy of all. The SEC simply is not forgiving to first time head coaches. It is very difficult to learn on the job because there are so few cupcakes in the conference.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Chip Kelly didn't have head coaching experience. Neither did the pecker head coaching Florida state and he has won a championship. Id much rather have a top flight offensive coordinator that has put up a lot of points in a major conference than a very mediocre head coach

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Even Foley knows we need a coach that has proven he can score
points. When he is announced, the first thing I will look at is his scoring
history. I hope that is first priority.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
jmskjrgator;n110615 said:
Even Foley knows we need a coach that has proven he can score
points. When he is announced, the first thing I will look at is his scoring
history. I hope that is first priority.

Foley said first priority is a high character guy. Sorry to disappoint.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n110588 said:
Chip Kelly didn't have head coaching experience. Neither did the pecker head coaching Florida state and he has won a championship. Id much rather have a top flight offensive coordinator that has put up a lot of points in a major conference than a very mediocre head coach

Your standards are quickly going down like a whore on New Years Eve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.