SEC hype machine shifts from UT to UGA

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
TraskJay was all over UT last year....I assume he's jumped on the UGA bandwagon now! :D (just kidding, he was ribbing me in another thread). We'll see what Kirby's made of this year.....

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ge...l-shift-tennessee-last-season-georgia-season/

SEC hype machine shifts from Tennessee last season to Georgia this season

A year ago at this time, the new darling of the SEC was Tennessee. Everything was lining up for the Volunteers to have a breakout season.

Instead, coach Butch Jones and Co. disappointed to the tune of a 9-4 mark that ended with a rather forgettable W over equally overrated Nebraska in the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl. Not much of a breakout.

If UT couldn’t win the watered-down East in 2016, then a convincing case can be made that it never will again — at least not with Jones at the controls. Quarterback Joshua Dobbs is gone. So is the tailback tandem of Jalen Hurd and Alvin Kamara. Difference makers at every level defensively are on their way to the NFL, too.

So if the Vols can’t unseat back-to-back division champion Florida, then it’s time to find another program that possibly can.

Look no further than Georgia. Despite the fact that the Bulldogs were a similarly ho-hum 8-5 a season ago, wrapping up with a victory over a mediocre TCU team in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl, second-year coach Kirby Smart is ready to make The Leap.

The conference’s hype machine can understandably run off the rails at times. Two seasons ago, then-Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson was anointed as a Heisman Trophy candidate before making a single start — he got benched after three games. This past year, the Vols dominated the offseason water-cooler discussion.

With all that hype having withered up and died in Knoxville, it’s looking for a new home in 2017. Athens is the most logical destination.

Tennessee boasted the most experienced QB in the league with Dobbs last season. But this year, UGA features perhaps the most talented field general. Jacob Eason (below) rode the highs and lows typical of a true freshman in 2016.

Taking over for incumbent Greyson Lambert in Week 2, Eason was a 55.1-percent passer and assembled a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 16-to-8. Statistically, he was superior to Matthew Stafford (52.7, 7-to-13) right out of high school.

There were plenty of highlights, particularly his 47-yard scoring strike to Riley Ridley with 10 seconds left in the Tennessee game to take a 31-28 lead — Dobbs’s subsequent Hail Mary to Jauan Jennings at the buzzer made Eason’s cross-field missile no less incredible. There are NFL signal callers who couldn’t have made that throw.

But there were a fair share of lowlights, as well. Eason’s 5-of-17 performance a week later in an escape of South Carolina was puzzling.

Still, it’s reasonable to expect the former 5-star phenom to improve drastically in Year 2. The aforementioned Stafford almost tripled his touchdown passes as a sophomore and fired three fewer interceptions on 92 more attempts.

Eason is going to need much more help from his supporting cast, though. His own one-two punch in the backfield, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel, battled ineffectiveness here and there. His receiving corps dropped way too many passes. His offensive line ebbed more often than it flowed and may have been the root cause of everyone’s struggles.

A pleasant surprise, Chubb and Michel return for their senior campaigns. Additionally, both should be healthier than they were as juniors.

Conversely, Eason’s weapons through the air remain somewhat of a question mark. His most reliable target, Isaiah McKenzie, bolted early for the draft. Terry Godwin is the top returning wideout, but he didn’t reel in a single TD last season.

Eason would be wise to lock on to his rising-sophomore tight end, Isaac Nauta, early and often. He flashed at times as a frosh and presents legitimate matchup problems for safeties and linebackers alike. Smart’s much-ballyhooed recruiting class — No. 3 nationally — also features a trio of 4-star pass catchers.

That being said, it’s a moot point if the Dawgs don’t get better play up front. Isaiah Wilson, a 5-star tackle, was a must-sign.

On the other side of the ball, there was a lot to like between the hedges. Georgia was a Top 5 unit in the league in rushing defense, passing defense, total defense and scoring defense. Only Alabama, Florida and LSU can say that.

Just like it’s reasonable to anticipate growth from Eason under center as a sophomore, the same can be said of Smart’s D after another year in the system. For nine seasons, he coordinated the premier defense in the land — yes, Nick Saban is ultimately in charge, but still — in Tuscaloosa. That’s his bread and butter.

The Bulldogs had 27 defenders record 5 or more tackles last season. Remarkably, only four of them were seniors.

Trenton Thompson (above) is borderline unblockable at the tackle position. The pass-rushing combination of Davin Bellamy and Lorenzo Carter is back. Like Bellamy and Carter, safety Dominick Sanders said no to the pros. They want another run as collegians.

UGA’s border-state rival, Florida, has captured the East and secured a trip to Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game in each of the last two seasons. Nevertheless, the Gators are unlikely to be the odds-on favorites to do it again — they weren’t last year, either. It was supposed to be Tennessee’s time in the division.

The prognosticators look like fools now for putting so many eggs in Rocky Top’s basket, although no lesson appears to have been learned.

By the time we get to Media Days come July, the Dawgs are a safe bet to be the talk of the town in Hoover. Eason’s upside. Chubb and Michel’s production. Smart settling in as head coach. Momentum on the recruiting trail.

Florida’s quarterback issues are yet to be resolved, plus so many of those defensive stalwarts left behind by Will Muschamp are now gone. Tennessee had a chance — even ending an 11-year losing streak to the Gators — but couldn’t take the next step. Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina and Vanderbilt aren’t viewed as serious contenders.

The league’s hype machine is sure to be painted red and black, even if UT orange and white didn’t turn out to be such a good look.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
UGA has plenty of talent. We'll see if Smart can coach. I doubt it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We will see what happens but that QB on Georgia did alright considering he got crappy run game support most of the season and was a true freshman. On paper they look to be big favorites in the East.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Poor UT fans. They lived for being off-season champs. Now that is taken away from them?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's still an O & D product manufactured for Ksmart. Hoping it's a blues light special.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm not saying UF is all-world, but I just don't get media missing the obvious - Florida has been the better team the past few seasons and ought to be the favorite.

UF
2016 6-2 in conference regular season with losses @TN and @ARK
2015 7-1 in conference regular season with loss to LSU

TN
2016 - 4-4 in conference regular season with losses @AtM, AL, @USCe, @VAN
2015 - 5-3 in conference regular season with losses @UF, ARK, @AL

UGA
2016 - 4-4 in conference regular season with losses @OLM, TN, VAN, FL
2015 - 5-3 in conference regular season with losses AL, @TN, UF

The knock on UF is unknown QB, a shaky OL, and for this year concerns over a drop off on the D. Guess what, we've won the SECE the last 2 years with the same unknown QB and shaky OL. People want to knock us for getting our teeth kicked in by AL (who one must admit is a top team), and F$U, and by MICH in Mac's first bowl. Guess what, we're not talking about beating those teams or bowl games, the hype is about who will win the East. Until the other teams can prove they are better than everyone else in the East....you know, like we have...we ought to be the ones getting the love about winning the East, IMO.

Part of the argument is we have an easier path to Atlanta. Let's look ahead to 2017

UF plays TN, @KY, VAN, LSU, AtM, UGA, @MIZZ, @USCe
TN plays @UF, UGA, USCe, @AL, @KY, @MIZZ, LSU, VAN
UGA plays OLM, @TN, @VAN, MIZZ, UF, USCe, @AU, KY

How has our path gotten any harder, or theirs any easier?

I know the dumpers will continue to say we suck - I haven't argued different. My point is the East has sucked and continues to do so. Until someone else in the East improves, I can't see why we aren't favored considering we still carry the same blemishes that cast shade on us the past 2 years while we marched to Atlanta.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying UF is all-world, but I just don't get media missing the obvious - Florida has been the better team the past few seasons and ought to be the favorite.

UF

TN

UGA

The knock on UF is unknown QB, a shaky OL, and for this year concerns over a drop off on the D. Guess what, we've won the SECE the last 2 years with the same unknown QB and shaky OL. People want to knock us for getting our teeth kicked in by AL (who one must admit is a top team), and F$U, and by MICH in Mac's first bowl. Guess what, we're not talking about beating those teams or bowl games, the hype is about who will win the East. Until the other teams can prove they are better than everyone else in the East....you know, like we have...we ought to be the ones getting the love about winning the East, IMO.

Part of the argument is we have an easier path to Atlanta. Let's look ahead to 2017

UGA plays @TN, @VAN, MIZZ, UF, USCe, @AU, KY

I know the dumpers will continue to say we suck - I haven't argued different. My point is the East has sucked and continues to do so. Until someone else in the East improves, I can't see why we aren't favored considering we still carry the same blemishes that cast shade on us the past 2 years while we marched to Atlanta.
Our defense has carried us and anyone with common sense expects it to take a step back this year (how big remains to be seen). Still the same OC and low expectations at QB. What's so hard about understanding the outside perspective?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Our defense has carried us and anyone with common sense expects it to take a step back this year (how big remains to be seen). Still the same OC and low expectations at QB. What's so hard about understanding the outside perspective?

Aside from the unknown drop off on D, how have things changed for the East, for UF/UGA/TN over the past 2 years and upcoming year? I'm not saying a poor view of UF is wrong, I'm saying how have things changed from those 2 yrs we won the East such that we shouldn't be given the credit earned? Has UGA/TN taken a significant step forward? Has their schedule gotten easier such that they should be favored in the East? Aside from the potential drop on D, how has our schedule gotten harder or our question marks (QB, OL, OC) gotten worse?

Record shows, despite our question marks, we win the (underwhelming) East. Record shows, TN/UGA can't - despite TN being in it's what, 8th year of rebuilding? Or that Smart has shown he's a great HBC without actually coaching a game yet?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Aside from the unknown drop off on D, how have things changed for the East, for UF/UGA/TN over the past 2 years and upcoming year? I'm not saying a poor view of UF is wrong, I'm saying how have things changed from those 2 yrs we won the East such that we shouldn't be given the credit earned? Has UGA/TN taken a significant step forward? Has their schedule gotten easier such that they should be favored in the East? Aside from the potential drop on D, how has our schedule gotten harder or our question marks (QB, OL, OC) gotten worse?

Record shows, despite our question marks, we win the (underwhelming) East. Record shows, TN/UGA can't - despite TN being in it's what, 8th year of rebuilding? Or that Smart has shown he's a great HBC without actually coaching a game yet?
UGA is expected to be much improved with the second year of their 5* QB, both RBs returning and two great classes in a row from Kirby. All of it remains to be seen, but that's what folks are looking at. The UT worship is over and I don't expect Butch to make it there much longer.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I for one like the fact nobody thinks we are good every year, seems to have worked in our favor!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

UF

TN

UGA

UGA plays @TN, @VAN, MIZZ, UF, USCe, @AU, KY

Agreed. F<ck all the leghumper :nutswinger: 's
I noticed UGA was missing it's second West opponent on your list - it's Miss. St. - maybe you left them off on purpose? :lol:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I for one like the fact nobody thinks we are good every year, seems to have worked in our favor!
How so?

Could this team possibly win the east? It's certainly possible, seeing how bad the east is. We'll get our brains beat in in the SECCG, but at least we win the east.

If that is the new benchmark for the Gators, then we are in decent shape, at least until UGA becomes a real team again. If our benchmark is to win titles, we have a long way to go.....

......unless Frask comes in and lights it up. A great QB changes everything.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I love it, our program was built on being disrespected, the rest of the east is playing right into our hands.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Could this team possibly win the east? It's certainly possible, seeing how bad the east is. We'll get our brains beat in in the SECCG, but at least we win the east.

If that is the new benchmark for the Gators, then we are in decent shape, at least until UGA becomes a real team again. If our benchmark is to win titles, we have a long way to go.....

You're right. We should skip winning the SEC-E and go straight to the NC. Let's skip the SECCG too, since neither are necessary steps towards winning the NC anyway, are they? Actually, our goal should be winning the superbowl! Enough giving a hoot about winning the SEC, much less the East - skip 'em, not required, right?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Agreed. F<ck all the leghumper :nutswinger: 's
I noticed UGA was missing it's second West opponent on your list - it's Miss. St. - maybe you left them off on purpose? :lol:

Nah, oversight on my part. Fixed, thank you.

I'm actually fine being the overlooked underdog and winning despite pundit blessing. I'm just not getting why the pundits continue to overlook us given our competition and how we've fared under Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.