SEC Revenues to level off?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting part of the Callaway article:

"SEC revenues to level off
ESPN’s decreasing subscriber base, recent layoffs and enormous rights fees to televise sporting events have not impacted the SEC’s bottom line.

The 14-member schools and the league office are expected to take home around $40 million each this year. A big reason is ESPN’s SEC Network, now in its third year.

But the gravy train soon might be slowing down.

“I was looking at where we were from a revenue distribution standpoint when I became AD at Mississippi State,” said Stricklin, who rose to the position at Mississippi State in 2010. “I think it was 12 or 15 million per school and we’re close to 40 now in just a five-, six-, seven-year period. I don’t think we’re going to continue to see that kind of growth.”

Stricklin has no doubt ESPN will continue to deliver a significant, consistent revenue stream to the conference, but he expects it to level off."

That decreasing subscriber base is a growing problem and will affect multiple sports. You'll see a correction at some point.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep something is going to have to give with all the cord cutting and ESPN being avoided by many now when an actual game isn't on..

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yep, it's gotta slow down. It's still a nice boost to the bottom line, but the athletic department needs to budget accordingly.

Honestly, I only turn on espn if there's a game on. I watch Paul every once in a while, and occasionally catch College Football Live.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This is going to happen across the board to all the major sports. They have pretty much priced the fanbase on which these leagues were built on right out of the stadiums/arenas.

Baseball has a much worse problem...their fan base is dying off as the average age of their fans steadily climbs without new ones to follow. That's why you are reading about all of the proposed changes to the game. It needs modernization.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep something is going to have to give with all the cord cutting and ESPN being avoided by many now when an actual game isn't on..
They've brought too much politics into sports. The retards must not realize we watch espn because we don't wanna watch cnn.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Baseball has a much worse problem...their fan base is dying off as the average age of their fans steadily climbs without new ones to follow. That's why you are reading about all of the proposed changes to the game. It needs modernization.

Funny you should mention that. I wrote an email to the MLB Commissioner last week suggesting they spice the game up by soaking the balls in lighter fluid then lighting them before each pitch. I'll post his reply here for everyone to read when he gets back to me.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Funny you should mention that. I wrote an email to the MLB Commissioner last week suggesting they spice the game up by soaking the balls in lighter fluid then lighting them before each pitch. I'll post his reply here for everyone to read when he gets back to me.

Rays games are going 4 hours or more for 9 innings. Who has time for that 162 times a year? Nobody.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rays games are going 4 hours or more for 9 innings. Who has time for that 162 times a year? Nobody.

It's the reason I go to minor league games. Cheaper, more fun, and game are roughly 2.5 hours. Saturday night was military appreciation night, honored our troops, met sargent slaughter (yes, he is still alive), 2.5 hours of baseball, post game fireworks, and out of pocket expense under $25 for a family of three.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's the reason I go to minor league games. Cheaper, more fun, and game are roughly 2.5 hours. Saturday night was military appreciation night, honored our troops, met sargent slaughter (yes, he is still alive), 2.5 hours of baseball, post game fireworks, and out of pocket expense under $25 for a family of three.

What minor league city/team? I've been to a couple of Norfolk Tides games (Orioles AAA team). Lot's of fun, good ballpark, lots of former MLB players on both rosters, somewhat cheap (usually $13/ticket right behind the visitors dugout - so we can heckle, of course!), $2 beers on Thursday nights, $5 parking, decent concessions. I prefer the Class A parks though, for a similar experience you mentioned.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What minor league city/team? I've been to a couple of Norfolk Tides games (Orioles AAA team). Lot's of fun, good ballpark, lots of former MLB players on both rosters, somewhat cheap (usually $13/ticket right behind the visitors dugout - so we can heckle, of course!), $2 beers on Thursday nights, $5 parking, decent concessions. I prefer the Class A parks though, for a similar experience you mentioned.

I have season tickets to the Clearwater Threshers (Phillies A+ affiliate) less than a mile from the stadium to our house. Example, today is all you can eat, $14 dollar ticket (1st row, home side right behind on deck circle), all you can eat (concessions and vendors give away food until top of the 9th), $2 parking, $6 24 oz beers. Tomorrow night is Dollar day, $1: hotdogs, popcorn, beer, soda, peanuts, ice cream sandwiches, chips, and tickets in the outfield (might be more but don't remember) - $2 dipping dots (have a 3 year old).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have season tickets to the Clearwater Threshers (Phillies A+ affiliate) less than a mile from the stadium to our house. Example, today is all you can eat, $14 dollar ticket (1st row, home side right behind on deck circle), all you can eat (concessions and vendors give away food until top of the 9th), $2 parking, $6 24 oz beers. Tomorrow night is Dollar day, $1: hotdogs, popcorn, beer, soda, peanuts, ice cream sandwiches, chips, and tickets in the outfield (might be more but don't remember) - $2 dipping dots (have a 3 year old).

Looks like I'm heading to Clearwater!!! :D

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You can count me in this crowd.
The current "programming" is directed at young, black, liberals and I am none of those three things so they don't want me to watch.
I am all too happy to oblige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.