SEC Royalty

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So a headline on the Worldwide Leader's homepage got me to thinking. The headline is, "Bulldogs Face SEC Royalty" - the "Royalty" moniker referring to Bammer. Clearly and objectively, we would have to rank them Number 1 on the "Royalty Meter" in the SEC when it comes to college football history, tradition and accomplishments, regardless of how many of their so-called "NCs" are BS. And clearly, Vandy or maybe UK would rank 14. The question is, where would you rank us?

This "Royalty" criteria is football tradition, history, championships/accomplishments, etc., and to include some of the newer conference additions, these football criteria are not exclusive to the SEC (A&M's SWC and Big 12 records would apply). Other qualities, such as academic rankings do not apply.

So what say you? Where would we rank on a football SEC "Royalty" Ranking?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely UF is SEC Royalty. We may be in a bit of a slump now, but nobody can take away what UF has accomplished in the past 30 years.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Probably Fourth or Fifth. I'd comfortable put Alabama, LSU and Tennessee ahead of us overall through all the years. Since 1990..we're right behind Alabama and probably tied with LSU on some people's lists.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
All barn has a pretty good history too....

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Based on conference titles, we'd be 5th.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n104210 said:
UF would be second. Bama would be the only one above us.

Tough question. I could argue us second. I think one could argue LSU second. As much as I loathe the Chuggers, theirs is a pretty impressive history, too. The Barners are there in the top 4/5, too.

No matter how you slice it, the conference is stacked.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n104210 said:
UF would be second. Bama would be the only one above us.

Agreed 100%.

UGA - hell no, their two NC's, the first with a bunch of draft-dodging cowards, the second preserved on that damned Scott play.

UT - screw General Neyland with Johnny Majors dick....no. Their supposed GOAT couldn't beat little old UF in four chances. No.

Corndogs - until Saban came along, all they had to hold onto was a kick return by a counterfeiter, and they still do to a certain degree, no.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n104219 said:
Agreed 100%.

UGA - hell no, their two NC's, the first with a bunch of draft-dodging cowards, the second preserved on that damned Scott play.

UT - screw General Neyland with Johnny Majors dick....no. Their supposed GOAT couldn't beat little old UF in four chances. No.

Corndogs - until Saban came along, all they had to hold onto was a kick return by a counterfeiter, and they still do to a certain degree, no.

Once again, you take things to a completely unnecessary level.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n104228 said:
Once again, you take things to a completely unnecessary level.

(1) Read the story of the 1942 UGA team and tell me they didn't draft dodge while the rest of the nation went and fought?

(2) Johnny Majors personally screwed UF, and Peyton couldn't beat us.

(3) Their big legend Cannon did fed time for counterfeiting.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n104232 said:
(1) Read the story of the 1942 UGA team and tell me they didn't draft dodge while the rest of the nation went and fought?

(2) Johnny Majors personally screwed UF, and Peyton couldn't beat us.

(3) Their big legend Cannon did fed time for counterfeiting.

Ok, and one of our players who was a huge part of the 2008 championship team is on the hook for 3 murders right now. It's also entirely possible (and likely) that Reggie Nelson got away with shooting someone in G'Ville in 2007. We also cheated so much in the early 80's that we almost got the death penalty. We also had an absolutely crappy program for the better part of the first 90 years of its existence.

Also, isn't being a college student one of the ways you can stay out of the military draft? Was Georgia the only good team in college football that year? They lost to Auburn, so obviously they weren't.

If we're ranking where UF stands all time with the rest of the SEC, it's probably around 5th or 6th. If we're talking since SOS took over, it's either 1st or 2nd.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n104237 said:
Ok, and one of our players who was a huge part of the 2008 championship team is on the hook for 3 murders right now. We also cheated so much in the early 80's that we almost got the death penalty. We also had an absolutely crappy program for the better part of the first 90 years of its existence.

Also, isn't being a college student one of the ways you can stay out of the military draft? Was Georgia the only good team in college football that year? They lost to Auburn, so obviously they weren't.

If we're ranking where UF stands all time with the rest of the SEC, it's probably around 5th or 6th. If we're talking since SOS took over, it's either 1st or 2nd.

OK, and can go with the logic sir. I would say that draft dodging during the fight against Hitler was likely frowned upon a bit more back then than say during the Vietnam debacle for example.

The cheating in the 1980's was deplorable, but what made it worse was hypocrite trash like Majors, Dye, and Dooley screaming "cheater" at UF while doing worse deeds themselves at the same time.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n104237 said:

Objectively, it is hard to argue with this, though I might make that 4th or 5th (Bammer, then Chuggers, Barners, LSU and us) all-time.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n104243 said:
Objectively, it is hard to argue with this, though I might make that 4th or 5th (Bammer, then Chuggers, Barners, LSU and us) all-time.

Texas A&M has more wins and the same number of national championships as us, although their NC's came a longgggggggggg time ago. Still though, if we're talking all time, TAMU probably has us beat.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
We are #1 because we're so far south we are no longer deep south.
:whip:

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Once the players start drawing Social Security I'm not sure it counts anymore. The Royal family has moved on to another generation at that point. The OP wasn't asking who has the all time best record. He asked who is Royalty today. To determine the teams that exude a sense of "Royalty" my take is to look at the previous 50 years for your measure. Anything older than that, so few people actually remember the games anymore that it doesn't define that sense in your mind of "Royalty". At the same time, you have to use a large enough sample size so that the CowBell States of the World don't skew the results.

Given the past 50 years ('64 - '14), here's my take:
1. Bablama
2. The Boys of Ol Florida
3. All Barn
4. Chuggers
5. Fightin' Corndogs
6. the 12th Ladies
7. Butt Sniffers
8-14. Who cares

Hotrod

Founding Member
R.I.P.
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is about as close to royalty Bama fans will get to sitting on the throne.

Attachments

• conv_1296.jpg
    conv_1296.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 38

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Overall we're no worse than 5th, and probably deserving a 3-4 spot. The trouble teams are Lsu and the vols. Despite owning the head to head by a long shot, and having more NCs and Heismans, ut has a solid track record historically. Lsu is similar. Even uga, to a degree has the historical edge.

But over an admittedly arbitrary time frame of 30 years or so, UF is probably #1. And if you fast forward 20 years, I'd venture to say it's clear cut in our favor.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
All-time or since 1990?

1990 - 1 or 2

All-time - no better than 3 or 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads