Seider Replaced by Larry Scott

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So we replaced a position coach and strong recruiter with a guy who has proven success at the specific position needed and is also a great recruiter...

Well done Dan!
I know it is your MO to take it to the hilt for the current coach, but this is a little early even for you.

Ive never heard Scott called a great recruiter or coach. I guess he does have S Fl connections. Yay I guess.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If anyone cares, Larry Scott just so happened to be the guest in "the big 3 roll up" podcast that posted today.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Assistant coaches are seldom going to look better than the man who runs the show, i.e., the head coach. Looking back, everyone, including me, lamented some of Mac's coaches,namely Nord and Nuss. Now though, in review, one has to wonder if at least some of their glaring incompetence was due at least in part to the sorry overall state of the program under McElwain's non leadership and his lack of attending to details (laziness). Assistant coaches are always going to caught up in the churn, here one day, gone the next. That is the nature of things these days. I have made up my mind to try once again to enjoy the product on the field and leave the details in the capable hands of our new head coach. That is why he is paid the really BIG bucks.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I know it is your MO to take it to the hilt for the current coach, but this is a little early even for you.

Ive never heard Scott called a great recruiter or coach. I guess he does have S Fl connections. Yay I guess.

I don't know a ton about him, but everything I have seen seems to say he knows S. Florida and is a good recruiter and coach. I don't know if he is Seider, but it seems like all of this was expected and Mullen had a plan in place. The past administration would take weeks to fill a slot.

amber1

Sep 1, 2017
Larry Scott was in over his head big time as OC at Tennessee. Couldn't react to a defensive stunt or blitz.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Looking at their recruiting history, it seems to be about the same. As far as coaching goes, Scott was a GA in 06 while Seider a GA in 08. Since then, Scott has coached OL, TE, and RB as well as being OC for one year and was 4-2 as an interim HC while at Miami. Seider, well, he's a RB coach. Huge edge to Scott in the coaching department.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This got a like? Are you trying to tell us that Mac was doing his job? He didn’t oversee his assistants AT ALL.
He saw enough to give Nuss a huge raise......Look all I'm saying is I hope Mullet doesn't de-emphasize the RB position by putting a "bud" in charge of coaching and recruiting them....I'm concerned because I like great RB's and TE's.....so far he has shown them less love IMO. I know he likes to plow the QB up the gut about 45-50 times a game ala Dak, Timmy and Fitzgerald but 2 of the 3 never brought him hardware....BTW I'm not saying he is going to fail here but to get over 8 and 9 win seasons he will have to incorporate a little something different.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
First of all, even with Seider's departure, we are still leaps and bounds ahead of where we were under the old regime. Also, we can't keep someone who doesn't want to stay. Seider was uncomfortable with the situation, for whatever reason, and made a change. Looking at Scott's resume, it doesn't look like that much of a problem. Admittedly, Seider was the lone, shining example of a really good hire by BBQ Boy. He did a really good job, especially when compared to the rest of the "staff" assembled by McNumbnutt. I've lost valuable staff myself (in a previous life), while being stuck with a loser for whom I couldn't find a suitable replacement - at least for a while. DM found what appears to be a promising replacement without skipping a beat. IMO, DM is still the man until he proves otherwise - ON THE FIELD.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It really was his dream. I had hoped Seider would be here long after Mullinz is gone.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
You mean other than Seider actually gets great performance out of his players and Scott made players into life champions?

No, I mean one guy has moved up the ranks in his profession while the other is still at the bottom.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, I mean one guy has moved up the ranks in his profession while the other is still at the bottom.
Lol. One is an elite recruiter and a very good coach.....

and yet the other one was a champion of life who got his last two HCs fired and whom no one has ever listed as a good or great coach.

I guess you also consider Brent Pease and Drunk Doug Nusselchamp good coaches bc "they moved up" to OC? People largely become coordinators bc they are buddies with the HC and/or share their vision. Sharing Bytch Jones or Al Golden's vision isnt a positive thing in my estimation. He is such an accomplished OC that no one wants him. Says it all.

There are guys like Torrian Gray and JaJuan Seider who are in demand and acknowledged by everyone to be at the top of the profession. Any decent coach jumps at the chance to land them. Sunseri and Hevesy are either in this group of nearby.

We should keep those guys when we get a chance.

Mullinz better be right bc people are going to notice immediately if the RBs look like shyt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb