Selection Criteria for the New HC

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
We have all been throwing names out and attacking each other when we think a suggestion is stupid. Our differing opinions implicitly contain how we weigh the importance of different criteria in the HC hunt. Here is a synopsis of these criteria and the importance level I have attached (on a 5-point scale).

1. Previous HC experience (5)
UF is not an OJT experiment. CIW is still a HC wanna be.

2. Success in a Power 5 Conference (3)
While it's nice to have, few successful coaches will move (laterally) if they are building something meaningful where they are. We might get a diamond-in-the-rough from other "lower" conferences.

3. Experience with the SEC (2)
Overrated. The SEC may be a tougher gig but it also attracts the best players. A good coach is a good coach. Of course, a non-SEC coach must be willing to take the intense pressure (see Urban Meyer)

4. Experience in the NFL (-5)
History shows (barring a few exceptions) that there are college coaches and there are NFL coaches. The skill sets and attitudes vary greatly between the two roles. NFL coaches with no significant college HC experience may be worse than college coordinators (see Charlie Weis).

5. Offense v. Defense Background (4)
Really it shouldn't matter but at UF it does. Also, the game has changed in the college scene where offense rules. All one needs is a competent defense.

6. Ties to UF or the area (3)
Alabama found out the hard way that this is not so important. However, coaches (or spouses) may prefer their alma mater or particular geographical area. Previous UF coaches may not have parted on the best of terms or feel slighted at being overlooked earlier (Strong? Mullen? perhaps) and will not come.

7. Age (4)
Much as I hate to admit this, age is a factor. Even Spurrier seems to think so. But that assumes we want/expect longevity, not stamina. The days of lifetime coaches may be over.

8. Ability to Recruit (3)
Also overrated (see Steve Spurrier). If you listen to prospects, they are more connected to their position coaches. The exception may be the 5 stars. Conversely, good recruiters can be a bust as HC (see Ron Zook).

9. Drive to Succeed/Ego (5)
At a pressurized job like Florida, coaches who have reached the pinnacle may not have the drive they once had (Bob Stoops perhaps?). We demand SECCs and NCs. Some "has-been" and "don't need this no more" types will decline or fail.

10. Success at Developing Talent (5)
Most successful coaches excel at the Xs and Os but it takes a special "eye" to develop talent at all positions (see Art Briles).

Feel free to add others....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
With Foley's criteria I think we can safely say Petrino, Rich Rod or Mullen won't be coming here since Miss State has had recent scholarship sanctions over recruiting.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How about someone who doesn't have their head permanently entrenched up their ash?
I was so disappointed at the end of regulation that I couldn't watch the OT - and I'm glad I didn't.
And to think I actually liked 'that guy' for a while. :gah:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think any "criteria" will be the deciding factor. Foley has a track record of "going with his gut".

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n108550 said:
That criteria should also have didn't play/Graduate at UGA...

The "Manchurian Candidate" theory rears its ugly head again. Will it ever be put to rest?

Just at this FL-GA game, former Auburn HC Pat Dye was inducted into the FL-GA HoF, for playing for GA. Enough already. Muschamp has his faults, but having played for UGA isn't one of them.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n108879 said:
The "Manchurian Candidate" theory rears its ugly head again. Will it ever be put to rest?

Just at this FL-GA game, former Auburn HC Pat Dye was inducted into the FL-GA HoF, for playing for GA. Enough already. Muschamp has his faults, but having played for UGA isn't one of them.

Yes it is. I can't root for a coach if I can't stand the sight or smell of him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n108539 said:
How about someone who doesn't have their head permanently entrenched up their ash?
I was so disappointed at the end of regulation that I couldn't watch the OT - and I'm glad I didn't.
And to think I actually liked 'that guy' for a while. :gah:
I'm ready and open to accepting your apology.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n108882 said:
Yes it is. I can't root for a coach if I can't stand the sight or smell of him.

That's your issue.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Despite all of the cynicism, Foley will take most of the criteria into account THIS TIME. He knows what his gut instinct got us screwed twice. He has already mentioned "offense" in the press conference - like he now cares about what fans want. Strange, very strange.:eek:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n108894 said:
I'm ready and open to accepting your apology.

Not gonna happen. He's actually a likable guy, especially if you play for him. His players seem to love him.
But if you're a fan, you don't want him to be your head coach. I feel for the guy, but he just didn't get the job done at UF.
He'll move on and make millions elsewhere as a top notch DC, and then in a few years maybe somebody will give him another shot at head coach - those poor bastards.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n110401 said:
Not gonna happen. He's actually a likable guy, especially if you play for him. His players seem to love him.
You know, I keep hearing this and I can't see how it's even remotely relevant. It's like being hired to be a plumber, and you don't know how to do it....but you sure are one hell of a great accordion player!

Who cares if the head coach is a nice guy? We aren't playing poker with him. Win some damn games!

When players "love" a coach, he's almost always an awful coach. Ever notice that? Great coaches are rarely lovable.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n110412 said:
11. Must have the last name Kelly

Judging by your posts, I guess it's "a" Kelly or bust for you, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator