Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, it had 4 wheels.
A motor.
Some gear that connected those things.
Oh and some seats...and a bunch of glass

And NV found some poor sap in Reno who was willing to pony up 4K more than market value for a 16-year-old Toyota SUV. He apparently is DB Cooper after all.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And NV found some poor sap in Reno who was willing to pony up 4K more than market value for a 16-year-old Toyota SUV. He apparently is DB Cooper after all.
What more do you want to know. I priced it below what NADA gave it’s valuation. I found 3 similar 4Runners in Sacramento being sold off dealer lots for between 9-10 grand and they were only 2WD.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What more do you want to know. I priced it below what NADA gave it’s valuation. I found 3 similar 4Runners in Sacramento being sold off dealer lots for between 9-10 grand and they were only 2WD.

Type of 4-Runner, options, mileage, condition.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Type of 4-Runner, options, mileage, condition.
2004 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 Sport Edition 4WD. 201,957 miles, excellent condition and I’m the original owner. I’d be happy to post all my pictures I took if you’d like.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2004 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 Sport Edition 4WD. 201,957 miles, excellent condition and I’m the original owner. I’d be happy to post all my pictures I took if you’d like.

:lol: Pics don’t mean shyt. You know that. Furthermore, there is no such thing as a car with 201,000 miles in excellent condition. There is such a thing as dumb uniformed buyers.

There’s an old saying in the automotive world. There’s an ass for every saddle.

You found the right ass.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some of you guys don't know sh!!t and I thought you did. (looking at you @Concrete Helmet and @78)

Remember, every dealer I spoke with about a trade would give me $2,000 ($2,500 max). I said F-You. Put it on the market for $7,399 and sold it today for $6,900 cash. Yeah, bad move.
Yeah, selling a well-cared for Toyota 4runner, one owner, right? That had never been offroad, now doubt.

Yeah, I could sell that in an hour sight unseen for three times the price they were giving you.... I even thought about offering it to you.

You only "pay $5k too much" on the car they were selling if you are a moron and dont research before you go and pay sticker.

Cars aren't like boats. There's lots of resources out there and you know what wholesale is for the car. no dealer has more than wholesale in it. offer that plus 500- 750 and you'll walk away with the car.

78 doesnt understnad anything but losing lots of money on supercars. He is just pissed because he takes $7-15 in depreciation every year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, selling a well-cared for Toyota 4runner, one owner, right? That had never been offroad, now doubt.

Yeah, I could sell that in an hour sight unseen for three times the price they were giving you.... I even thought about offering it to you.

You only "pay $5k too much" on the car they were selling if you are a moron and dont research before you go and pay sticker.

Cars aren't like boats. There's lots of resources out there and you know what wholesale is for the car. no dealer has more than wholesale in it. offer that plus 500- 750 and you'll walk away with the car.

78 doesnt understnad anything but losing lots of money on supercars. He is just pissed because he takes $7-15 in depreciation every year.

That’s only half accurate. I usually write a separate check to the dealer to cover the sales concession.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

If a used car is on a lot for 20K the dealer MIGHT have 13K in it depending if they took it on trade or bought from an auction.....don't confuse "wholesale" with trade value(ACV). Wholesale is typically 20% below low book retail.....dealers don't pay 20% below low book...they "buy"/trade for 30- 40% below low book. In other words if he bought the used Jeep for $20K they made about a $6K deal on him(after detail/oil change and internal work orders) and were trying to give him about half of what their wholesaler was going to give them for his car....in other words they were going to try and make about a 8 or 9#er on his ass :lol2:.

Always remember numbers are only window dressing when a trade is part of a car transaction....ACV is the only thing Dealers care about on a used to another used car sale. New is a little different because of factory money and floor plan consideration have to be factored in by the selling dealer.
And no there is no difference between the way Boats and Cars are sold except in boats we at least spit on it a little before the reaming... :lol2:

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree completely.

What I meant re: boats vs cars isnthat one can easily look up black book (not blue book) wholesale on a car and at least have some idea the ceiling of how much a car dealership has in it--they actually have less maybe far less as you said--and there is no way to do that with a boat, at least as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.