Shaka to Texas

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I guess we can scratch him off as a possible replacement. If Billy leaves, it would have been a easy transition. But we'll see, none of billys other assistants have faired very well at major jobs.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Anthony Grant can get his job back at vcu

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Smart's total compensation station at VCU last year was 1.8 million. I wonder if they offered around 3 million. His buyout is 500k and he had a clause that if he leaves VCU and his new school must do a home and home or pay 250k.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We spend way too much time talking about this guy. His ties to Florida was 1 season with Billy. That's not a lot of time in the grand scheme.

Hope he enjoys his new career. He's still Gator Bait.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I figured Texas would go after Marshall. Still a great hire for them.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
It looks like Texas is trying to be the Florida of the West and I bet they were happy to get rid of their "Coach in Waiting" to us.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think they did try to go after marshall but he decided to stay at shocker U. Apparently he's rebuffed a lot of big name offers the last few seasons.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is a great hire for Texas. I think Shaka is a great coach and would have loved him to replace Billy when he goes to the NBA (possibly this year). We definitely need a big name to bring in the recruits. Even Billy has trouble landing top talent and he is a top coach in college basketball with two titles! I fear that when Billy leaves our basketball program will never be the same.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
ATXGator;n202847 said:
This is a great hire for Texas. I think Shaka is a great coach and would have loved him to replace Billy when he goes to the NBA (possibly this year). We definitely need a big name to bring in the recruits. Even Billy has trouble landing top talent and he is a top coach in college basketball with two titles! I fear that when Billy leaves our basketball program will never be the same.

Thought the same after Lon Kruger after he took us to the NIT in two of his first three years and then the NCAA tourney the next two.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n202847 said:
It won't be. Billy donnavans don't grow on trees.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Smart got a 7 year deal at almost 3 million a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator