Shannon as D coordinator

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Shannon is taking over at DC and they haven't announced it yet because they are looking for some other guys... either moving Skipper over to coach LBs and hire a new RB coach or a new LB coach, etc... I'm still hoping for Locksley

I am hoping this is the case and that they just want one big announcement and then be done.
I'm also hoping Shannon knows this. If not...................

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely no reason to wait on an announcement if he's your guy. It's obvious to me that Mac is trying to hire someone else and Shannon is a back-up plan.
Of course, Shannon will be the new DC. :lol:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely no reason to wait on an announcement if he's your guy. It's obvious to me that Mac is trying to hire someone else and Shannon is a back-up plan.
Of course, Shannon will be the new DC. :lol:
That would be a slap in the face to Shannon, IMO. Shannon either knows he's going to be the DC, and Mac is waiting to make the announcement (for some reason), or he's gone - again IMO.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That would be a slap in the face to Shannon, IMO. Shannon either knows he's going to be the DC, and Mac is waiting to make the announcement (for some reason), or he's gone - again IMO.
Honestly, what could possibly be the reason to wait if he's already on your staff? Uncertainty does nothing but create confusion and hinder recruiting. Oh wait....I just answered my own question, didn't I?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It will probably be Shannon imo. I just don't see a big name DC from another school coming here right now with how we are trending. Hopefully we do pick up a good position coach that is known for recruiting if it is Shannon.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Only Gators says Mac's giving Shannon a one-game trial at the Outback Bowl. I think it's only fair that Mac extend that same privilege to himself. We lose, he fires himself.

There is no way you can give a DC a one game trial with the injuries and the guys who have already mailed it in. As far as Shannon goes, his resume as a DC speaks for itself, so you either like it or you dont. Coaching a meaningless bowl game with 1 good D-linemen who is going pro, all below average LB's and 2 CB's who mailed it in a month ago is just not fair. Anyone see how reluctant Quincy Wilson was the last 3 games of the season at tackling. I would just as soon all of these guys bow out of the bowl and let those kids who want to play, play!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't disagree, FF. I'm befuddled why Mac would lay Shannon out there like this. As bad as he looks now, he'll look even worse if he hires another DC after the bowl game.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, what could possibly be the reason to wait if he's already on your staff? Uncertainty does nothing but create confusion and hinder recruiting. Oh wait....I just answered my own question, didn't I?
The only thing I can think of is to motivate the defense to play for him. I doubt that's what Mac was thinking.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you need a one game trial for a guy that's been on your staff for two years, he ain't your guy.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
So if you're a great DC at another school would you drop everything to come to this staff? Our current brain trust will be lucky to make it to December.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The last time Butters the Swamp Donkey hired a DC, he hired a guy who I'd never heard of two weeks-- I couldn't remember his name, just that than Dan Mullett roasted his azz on national tv for giving up 600 yards to Ole Miss. Oh, and in addition to giving up 400-500 yards at least to any ranked team, he had the added benefit of sucking as a recruiter.

Seriously, do we think that even if Butters wasn't on a hot seat next year and had his pick of any coach he wanted that he'd come home with anyone better?

Last edited:

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
It's possible there is some interest in Shannon getting offered a HC job. Perhaps Mac wants to wait until he is sure Shannon will be available before announcing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's possible there is some interest in Shannon getting offered a HC job. Perhaps Mac wants to wait until he is sure Shannon will be available before announcing.

There's no head coaching openings right now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
FAU or FIU is the only thing that makes sense and they are filled.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Wasn't Shannon supposed to be bringing in all that So. Fla talent he had so many in roads with?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know enough about his past defenses or how he calls games to know if I like him or not as DC. By default it sounds like a good choice though.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I think it is kind of hard to judge him as a DC. On paper his teams were great, but also were loaded with NFL talent. He really hasn't done much outside of position coaching since the HC experiment failed.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

I think this has merit. If Shannon is entertaining other gigs (perhaps even a DC at a school with a better staff?), then I could see Mac waiting to see if Shannon leaves. The smart HBC would know if Shannon was his guy and keep him, or someone else was and get things rolling. If Shannon was NOT the guy, and he's being strung along as Plan B, he will probably be looking if he hasn't already. This staff has not shown good management of Plan B relations with recruiting, why would it be different on coaching positions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator