Shannon new DC

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
I like this move if there were other moves coming, but this goes right along with 'don't make any major changes, promote from within.CONTINUITY!!' that produces 4 loss seasons.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think there are some back door things going on with the coaches. I read the Nord's contract is up, so it is very possible they won't renew. No idea how his contract is structure or what the ramifications could be. I can't see why we'd renew a contract for Nord. I also think they are waiting to see what happens with Summers and USCe. I think they are playing some games to maybe save money, and to not have the reputation for firing coaches. It's a lot easier to hire good coaches if the program appears stable and loyal. We as fans don't care, but it's probably a good thing.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
@DerekTysonESPN: Randy Shannon worked w/ @CoachPartridge at Arkansas, wonder if Florida will try to find a way to get Partridge on staff. Excellent recruiter

prtdg-300x251.jpg

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's because Mac was looking elsewhere and got turned down. There really isn't another locgical explanation.
I'm sure if you thought about it, you could come up with something else

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've got to agree with you. But damn, that could have gotten nasty, quick.
Yes it could have. While I never came out and said it for fear of jinxing us, I was afraid Shannon would take another job and leave Mac with his dick in his hand. You gotta admit, it would be just our luck for something like that to happen.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's because Mac was looking elsewhere and got turned down. There really isn't another locgical explanation.

I'm glass is half full. If Shannon still has aspirations to be a HC again, maybe he's had the job all along but Mac wanted to wait to see if he got one before making it public. It would be pretty embarrassing to name him DC, and then him leave 2 weeks later.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac keeps the special teams coach in spite of a track record that screams something is not right and then delays a month in promoting the obvious pick for DC. I can't get my head square with Mac's way of thinking.
Its the organizational infastructure

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are overthinking this.

Mac doesn't do anything quickly. He isn't built for speed.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are overthinking this.

Mac doesn't do anything quickly. He isn't built for speed.
If it was Meyer, he would have delayed as a tactic to keep the Gators in the news.....but this is Butters an we aren't in the news anymore.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like this move if there were other moves coming, but this goes right along with 'don't make any major changes, promote from within.CONTINUITY!!' that produces 4 loss seasons.
It's the right choice in this case. You know I'm generally a swing for the fences kind of guy.

We have a coach who is on a neither hot nor cold seat, but everyone realizes that 127th ranked offense, 4 losses and 3 blowouts equals lots of noise in the system at a place like Florida. Lets say that as coordinators go, Shannon is a B (maybe B+ maybe even A-). Yes, I'm sure there are better out there but are we really going to land one for what may well be a one year gig? In fact, we are much more likely to get a C- type guy like Sidehat again.

Throw in the fact that he knows the players, knows the playbook, even if he is going to massage it to more of a 4 man front like he prefers (and which better fits our personnel than a Saban style defense like Chimp and Sidehat play bc that requires 3 LARGE DL). We desperately need the defense to be as good as it can be NEXT year (to avoid another 4-8 disaster) and he is probably the clear choice for that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If it was Meyer, he would have delayed as a tactic to keep the Gators in the news.....but this is Butters an we aren't in the news anymore.
He is the master of that. Master of all things recruiting and master of special teams, no doubt.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
It'll be Interesting to see how (or even if) commits and targets react on twitter.

I like the hire from an X's and O's and coach'em up standpoint. Hopefully the DC title also adds some persuasiveness to his recruiting pitch.
Has he recruiting anybody yet?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac keeps the special teams coach in spite of a track record that screams something is not right and then delays a month in promoting the obvious pick for DC. I can't get my head square with Mac's way of thinking.

I don't think it matters if you understand.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.