Shortcoming in recruiting puts UF behind the eight ball in tough SEC

News

Administrator
Jul 6, 2014
Florida's offense has gotten worse with each week that passes this season and now ranks 99th nationally in total offense.

More...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mike Davis decommitted from Florida when he found out the coaches, after telling him they were done at the position, had continued recruiting Keith Marshall.
I didn't know that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How bad are the Gators hurting at tight end? Their top two players at the position are converted three-star defensive ends. Some fans might blow a gasket if they see Burton or Westbrook drop another pass, but the fact is they shouldn't be starting at a school like UF. Tight ends coach Derek Lewis — one of only two offensive coaches who's been with Muschamp throughout his tenure — has shown the ability to develop a player suited for the position, but he hasn't had any talent to work with since Jordan Reed. The Gators signed four of the nation's top tight ends from 2010-2012. All have transferred.
:facepalm:

This is an eye-opening article. It's astounding how many transfers there have been.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why aren't we using that young TE at all. He looked like he could catch the ball in the spring game. Muschamp must not like his blocking enough I guess.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This article says it all.It would be another situation if we missed on some guys, but coached up the one's we got. That's not the case.Honestly, it's hard to tell how much talent is on this team with the all the adversity at the helm.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line is this Defensive coordinator we have for a head coach clearly cannot evaluate offensive talent in recruiting or coaching..... NO more D-coordinators for head coaches!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n91699 said:

I didn't know that.

little-girl-mad-o.gif

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n91722 said:
:facepalm:

This is an eye-opening article. It's astounding how many transfers there have been.

Maybe high ranked TEs transferring is their way of booing the HC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n91768 said:
Bottom line is this Defensive coordinator we have for a head coach clearly cannot evaluate offensive talent in recruiting or coaching..... NO more D-coordinators for head coaches!

and a series of bad offensive coordinators who preferred guys that also were of limited talent.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Baffles me how a coach can take athletes who are not highly recruited and coach them into a solid team (see Dan Snyder), yet this coaching staff can't do squat with talent that should be better than what they have at a K State.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Yes as usual Zach has done a great job of exposing the defects in our program, almost all of them end up at the feet of the head coach. Now I heard Champ is having trouble explaining the chants to his child. It is simple he is not getting the job done and when you don't (no matter your position) getting fired is the result. Now for him it means moving from Gainsville but basically nothing bad in any other way. Simple!!! I should only have made so much money in so little time.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
If true I feel bad about his son, but it doesn't change a thing. He's caused us great damage so I'm sorry if it's put him in a tough spot at home.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MidwestChomp;n92073 said:
Baffles me how a coach can take athletes who are not highly recruited and coach them into a solid team (see Dan Snyder), yet this coaching staff can't do squat with talent that should be better than what they have at a K State.

Your post had me scratching my head for like 2 minutes, before realizing you meant Bill Snyder. I was trying to understand your basis for making that claim for Redskins owner Dan Snyder.:lol:

But your point is correct. It's one of the reasons I don't buy the "Meyer hole" excuse. Our recruiting averaged Top 10 in the years preceding his departure. Ok, sure we had some busts and transfers--everyone does. And if there were just 10-15 teams better than us, then fine. But a couple of mediocre classes(by our standard) does't equal losing 6 games in 2011, or the debacle we had last year. As you point out, Snyder doesn't even make a blip on the recruiting radar, has to constantly go after leftovers and JUCO transfers, and yet they're solid year in and year out.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
kepler;n92357 said:
If true I feel bad about his son, but it doesn't change a thing. He's caused us great damage so I'm sorry if it's put him in a tough spot at home.

His son needs to get a grip and find the midline.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
kepler;n92357 said:
Of course it's tough being a dad at times but this is big boy coaching. He could simply say, "Son, the fans are unhappy with me here and when that happens some kids are going to repeat to you what their parents are saying. But you see, they are paying me 3 million a year so they have a right to be critical. It won't last long, we'll be leaving here soon."

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
I can't get the article to load. Not even the GS sports home page. Message board traffic must have crashed the site. :nerd:

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
This is the reason Foley needed to either make the move last year or after bama/Mizzou this year. If we were certain that change would be made then there wouldn't be as much backlash at games but even at this point we're not sure that Foley will make the right move. Our options are to not attend the game or resort to chants and we want to root for our program no matter how bad so chants it is. The longer this drags out the worse it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.