Shortcoming in recruiting puts UF behind the eight ball in tough SEC

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
soflagator;n92377 said:
Your post had me scratching my head for like 2 minutes, before realizing you meant Bill Snyder. I was trying to understand your basis for making that claim for Redskins owner Dan Snyder.:lol:

But your point is correct. It's one of the reasons I don't buy the "Meyer hole" excuse. Our recruiting averaged Top 10 in the years preceding his departure. Ok, sure we had some busts and transfers--everyone does. And if there were just 10-15 teams better than us, then fine. But a couple of mediocre classes(by our standard) does't equal losing 6 games in 2011, or the debacle we had last year. As you point out, Snyder doesn't even make a blip on the recruiting radar, has to constantly go after leftovers and JUCO transfers, and yet they're solid year in and year out.

Holy Crap...thanks. Yes I meant Bill, not Dan.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What I don't understand is Muschamp's inability to recruit the state of Florida very well. I realize it's a very competitive market here but we should be bringing in at least 20-25% of the top players. Just yesterday Jacques Patrick announced for FSU and local QB Tucker Israel threw for over 600 yards in a game for the second time this year. He's going to end his career as the state's top passer with 14-15,000 yards and over 150 TDs. He's going to Clemson.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n92612 said:
What I don't understand is Muschamp's inability to recruit the state of Florida very well.
You don't understand it? The kids can watch the games like everyone else.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n92615 said:
You don't understand it? The kids can watch the games like everyone else.

I know but I don't think that started effecting recruiting until last year. He still did OK in other states. He's never done that well in Florida.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
divits;n92616 said:
I know but I don't think that started effecting recruiting until last year. He still did OK in other states. He's never done that well in Florida.

Florida talent quite often translates to offensive play. Obviously there are plenty of great defensive players here as well. But the speed and athleticism in Florida is what makes it great. Muschamp didn't want to style our team around that, at least not early on. He wanted big and physical offensive players that could grind out games, which are the rarity here.

In short, as shocking as it may seem, Muschamp completely botched this area of things as well.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n92612 said:
What I don't understand is Muschamp's inability to recruit the state of Florida very well. I realize it's a very competitive market here but we should be bringing in at least 20-25% of the top players. Just yesterday Jacques Patrick announced for FSU and local QB Tucker Israel threw for over 600 yards in a game for the second time this year. He's going to end his career as the state's top passer with 14-15,000 yards and over 150 TDs. He's going to Clemson.

To not have one recruit in the top 25 in FL committed going into Nov is a travesty. That means people are staying away from your program. You're the flagship university in the state. Countless resources. This was a bad year to tank in recruiting. Again, I don't know how an AD survives making such a huge mistake. Not just on the hire but keeping him around for another year of trash. I'm sorry but that's a disaster. No way to trust him making any football decisions going forward.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
its actually pathetically impressive how many of the top florida recruits we have missed on over the past few years. Can we name one that we have actaully landed?
I mean surely we would get a couple even by shear odds, but nope. No cook, lane, agholor, alex collins, travis rudolph, laremy tunsil, jernigan, treadwell?, tracy what his nuts that signed with miami, the list goes on. I cant think of one 5 star other than VH3 we have landed. how is that possible?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator98MD;n92715 said:
its actually pathetically impressive how many of the top florida recruits we have missed on over the past few years. Can we name one that we have actaully landed?
I mean surely we would get a couple even by shear odds, but nope. No cook, lane, agholor, alex collins, travis rudolph, laremy tunsil, jernigan, treadwell?, tracy what his nuts that signed with miami, the list goes on. I cant think of one 5 star other than VH3 we have landed. how is that possible?

We all know. All the "in all kinds of weather" is now coming home to roost. Don't boo. Just cheer no matter what goes on. Forward march(or backward march in this case) and do not question. He needs 7 years. It's Meyer's fault. SOS left the cupboard bare. Blah blah blah. Everyone on the board gets a participation trophy.

Thanks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n92612 said:

OFFENSE. We've recruited reasonably well on defense but we can't recruit offense because none of these kids were alive when we last had an offense that might attract top WRs and RBs.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n91699 said:

I didn't know that.

Oh yeah , I remember, pissed me off. It was well known he wanted UFs word that he was the guy and they promised they wouldn't go after anyone else. Pisses me off

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was watching the SEC network yesterday afternoon and they had Gary Danielson on talking about different teams and who has the inside track to the playoff, etc. The topic moved to the cocktail party and what to expect. Danielson sort of sighed and said the following (paraphrasing):

When I first transitioned over from the Big 12 in the 90s and started doing the SEC games I was always stunned by the speed and athleticism of the kids florida had stockpiled each year. Each year you compare them to the other top teams, like Tennessee back then who was a consistent top 5 team and even compared to them Florida was just visibly better. It waned a bit during Zook but they still had a wealth of talent, especially on the defensive side, and then when Meyer was there noone was even close. But now when I look a them I just wonder who is going to make a play? Who is it going to be that can get open in space and make a guy miss? Who is going to take charge of the offense and make the throws in crunch time. Compared to other top SEC teams, they just dont have anyone that measures up.

He also said it is going to take a monumental effort coupled with all the 50/50 fluke plays bouncing our way for us to get out of there with a W.
Don't shoot the messenger, but I think Danielson is a pretty fair and intelligent guy. It pains me to hear this but I cant refute it with what we see on the field.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n93621 said:
He also said it is going to take a monumental effort coupled with all the 50/50 fluke plays bouncing our way for us to get out of there with a W.
Don't shoot the messenger, but I think Danielson is a pretty fair and intelligent guy. It pains me to hear this but I cant refute it with what we see on the field.

Danielson IS a pretty smart guy. I can't argue with anything he said. He's got this Gator team pegged pretty accurately imo.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Danielson always calls the plays before they happen or as they unfold. It is crazy to hear him. The guy would make an insane coach. There will be a play where someone ie the TE or slot WR is open but it was missed and he'll say...watch for this...and boom. The team will do exactly what he said. Best out there...hands down.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n93718 said:
Danielson always calls the plays before they happen or as they unfold. It is crazy to hear him. The guy would make an insane coach. There will be a play where someone ie the TE or slot WR is open but it was missed and he'll say...watch for this...and boom. The team will do exactly what he said. Best out there...hands down.
He was a pretty good but not great NFL QB. He sees the field.

To be fair, since the Mullen days, we've been completely predictable on offense. Most coordinators who bothered watching a few hours of film. could guess a large number of our plays just because of the formations.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n93718 said:

The one who is the best at calling them before the ball is snapped is Andre Ware probably imo but Danielson nails it quite a bit also. Ware can be a jerk at times but he seems to predict the play right most of the time.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This staff flat out sucks in evaluating talent. I'm so tired of hearing people say that rivals and all the other evaluation websites don't know what they're doing. They nail it about 90% of the time. People say trust the coaches. They know what they see.

I think we've just proven that over and over with Muschamp that he can't evaluate for shît.

Hell, even one of our TE recruits this year, Camrin Knight, only has 9 catches for 107 yards and a touchdown this year. That's the talent we have coming in...

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n93977 said:
Hell, even one of our TE recruits this year, Camrin Knight, only has 9 catches for 107 yards and a touchdown this year. That's the talent we have coming in...

But I bet he is a great blocker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.