Shotgun ammo question

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, and Computer Tech' started by Concrete Helmet, Jan 17, 2018.

1. SeabeeGator

SeabeeGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $135
    Ratings:
    +141 / -1
    I wanted to address this particular quote separately. There is no such thing as a foolproof plan, especially involving firearms and high stress situations. We have a saying in the military: no plan survives the first round fired. You have no idea how your kid or wife would react to the alarm going off, much less rounds being fired. In fact, I’m guessing you have no idea how you or your SIL would react, which is troubling because you’re both carrying weapons in your scenario.

If I was in your shoes and had the resources you claim to have, my plan would be as follows: son runs to mother’s room and lock/barricade the rooms with people in them. Call the cops. Be prepared to throw on lights so you can see them before they find you in the room - they have to ID themselves by breaking down the door giving you the advantage of concealment and time. When cops arrive, listen to their instructions if the person is still there as they are trained for the scenario you lay out. In all likelihood, bad guy left and your home security system probably recorded them (I’m assuming you have cameras since you seem so security conscious).

Going vigilante in your house is a bad plan unless you’ve got some sort of previous training that you haven’t revealed yet.

2. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey 98.2% sarcasm 1.8% full of shyt
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $6,011
    Ratings:
    +29,057 / -623
    A youtube from joeblowprepper. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2: The Mav88 man, for when you can't afford to spend the extra $50 on a real Mossberg. Nothing says professional like a Maverick 88. He should stick with plumbing, though he is correct, no one should buy that bs about racking the slide will make some one poop themselves and run. It probably won't.

I know that youtube jackass as never even met a real gunsmith or armorers and has no clue about what happens inside his little piece of $188 prepper heaven, but I will help you. That gun was designed close to 100 years ago. There is no inertial firing pin, no hammer block, no transfer bar, no nothing in it. It has a crossbolt safety. A couple of 100s of an inch of Mexican metal is all that stops the hammer from dropping. (It's no different with a Rem870 or Mossberg500/590 though.) If it gets hit hard enough or falls, it can go off. It's as simple as that.

No it isn't "meant to be stored with one in the chamber" as that azzhat says. In fact, the owners manual says exactly the opposite for a reason. Is having the safety on better than the alternative, sure.

Now, it's right that a pump shotgun isn't nearly as reliable reputed... more accurately your left arm isn't as reliable as it should be. That is a training thing though.

Is leaving it loaded with one in the chamber smart? only a dumbazz does it. Can you get away with it? probably... unless you can't.

#42 Swamp Donkey, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  3. Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $483
    Ratings:
    +4,768 / -95
    No disrespect but...Are you serious? The thing beeps for I think 1 minute before it's siren goes off....It's been tripped accidently and yes it was going full tilt bozo until it woke me up....We do have an intercom system to communicate in the house to let everyone know it's accidental or to call to other rooms within the house.

Like I said I almost laugh when I think of someone thinking me to be anything but overly cautious....Yes most of this might be over the top but there are times when people get really bold like after hurricanes and such....Check out all the home invasions in Texas and Florida after the storm, looters and other scumbags tend to leave their own neighborhoods if you know what I mean....

4. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $483
    Ratings:
    +4,768 / -95
    At some point there has to be a plan...if not it is going to be utter chaos if God forbid one of the doors gets kicked in....You would have 6 people coming from 3 directions to try and get everyone in one room in your solution.....recipe for disaster if you ask me...BTW I don't have cameras until later this week.

5. SeabeeGator

Oxbucks:
    $135
    Ratings:
    +141 / -1
    Link for you:

https://news.uncc.edu/news-events/n...ides-insights-habits-and-motivations-burglars

My “99%” guess was exaggerated but the numbers support my position. 60% of burglars won’t even consider your house if there is an alarm. If the robber is in the house and the alarm goes off, only 13% say they will continue. And this doesn’t even go into the probabilities of robbing a house that’s known to be inhabited vs uninhabited. So in the unlikely event that you’re home and the burglar decides to continue the attempt after the alarm sounds, I stand by my recommended plan for you. Stolen stuff is replaceable, the lives of your loved ones or yourself are not.

6. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $632
    Ratings:
    +7,181 / -10
    PS on the “drills” note, treat yourself to a three day vacation to a quality (e.g., something like Gunsite, not a local yocal cheapy to save some money) tactical shotgun course. You’ll get the drills, but, more importantly, it’ll make you think/assess your personal situation even better.

PPS if you do, call them and try to get in on a near empty class.

7. SeabeeGator

Oxbucks:
    $135
    Ratings:
    +141 / -1
    How many break ins have you had total and how many while you were home? Also, do you live in a place with a high robbery AND violent crime rate? Also, how many robberies were committed in your area with 3 or more people? I would hope you have researched all this - part of developing a smart plan is understanding the “enemy”.

8. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $6,011
    Ratings:
    +29,057 / -623

Just to lighten it up a little.

9. SeabeeGator

Oxbucks:
    $135
    Ratings:
    +141 / -1
    We doing funny range videos? I got you fam:

10. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $483
    Ratings:
    +4,768 / -95
    Kind of a diverse location here. You have lakeside 700K and up homes a stones throw from....well to put it bluntly some questionable areas.....What is most concerning to me is a public park which sits across from our property. It is not usually something that one might think about however it kinda gives a very nice view to case the houses across the street. I've seen some pretty shady stuff go on there when outside. Two cars pull up park next to each other and then almost leave at the same time. Other times I've seen two people pull up in one car....then look back and only see one head....lol(prostitutes work a local motel a few miles away)....My concerns are lessened by the fact that they now lock it up at sunset....We haven't had anything happen recently although there was a string of daytime break ins across the lake a while back. The house itself has never been broken into but our cottage was when we had a tenant there several years back.....All that being said people are f vcked up these days and overall there have been quite a few home invasions in Central Florida over the last couple of years. Not taking a chance on a violent one.

11. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $6,011
    Ratings:
    +29,057 / -623
  12. SeabeeGator

Oxbucks:
    $135
    Ratings:
    +141 / -1
    Since we are policing our homes like special forces, thought I’d provide a work out video to get us ready for the impending battle:

13. SeabeeGator

Oxbucks:
    $135
    Ratings:
    +141 / -1
    Sounds like you’re married to your plan so I won’t try to convince you further. I’d recommend you at least consider what I’m providing as there are better ways for folks to react to a home invasion than direct action confrontations. Best of luck - I hope you never have to execute your plan.

14. oxrageous

oxrageous American Hero
    Administrator

Oxbucks:
    $3,466
    Ratings:
    +18,057 / -154
    7,000 SF? Damn.

15. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $6,011
    Ratings:
    +29,057 / -623
    And he cant afford a safe... right.

16. SeabeeGator

Oxbucks:
    $135
    Ratings:
    +141 / -1
    He mentions $700k houses in another post. If he picked up a 7k SF waterfront for that amount, I’d like to know where. That’s legit.

17. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $483
    Ratings:
    +4,768 / -95
    Sorry.....6800 not including garage and cottage.....please delete, lock, or dungeon thread before Donkey has an aneurysm over not using a hand gun safe....so that I can buy time to open my shotgun safe....and then my door safe and then.....

18. Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $483
    Ratings:
    +4,768 / -95
    Actually ******* it was over a million so what else do you want to know.......

19. URGatorBait

URGatorBait Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $395
    Ratings:
    +10,457 / -165
    :popcorn:

20. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $632
    Ratings:
    +7,181 / -10
    Or you could by a single long gun box with finger print reader and mount it on, under or near your bed