Should Foley be given carte blanche on the next hire?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Depending on how you score this, he's either 0-2 or 1-2 on football hires. The next one is coming, and soon. Do we trust in Jeremy one more time?

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
President Search Update - October 6, 2014

To: University of Florida Family and Friends

Re: President Search Update
I write to you today with great optimism for the successful outcome of our search for University of Florida’s next president.
After five months of search committee and subcommittee meetings and outreach to the greater UF community and to leaders across the nation, I am pleased to update you on where we stand in the process of recruiting highly qualified individuals for this important role.
Our search firm consultant Jan Greenwood and I recently shared with the search committee the insights gained through our outreach to leaders in academic research institutions and organizations across the nation as we have encouraged interest in the UF presidency. Foremost in our minds were the search criteria developed to ensure UF’s presidential candidates are highly credentialed and accomplished leaders with distinguished academic careers, as well as leadership, fundraising, financial and management abilities. We seek a president with a passion and vision for the full breadth of UF -- our land grant mission and the arts, liberal arts, humanities, sciences, technology, and professions broadly defined.
The high level of interest in the position of UF president among leaders with distinguished academic careers nationally leads us to believe we will have assembled a qualified pool of applicants in the very near future.
Let me share with you what you can expect when the selection process starts, because it will proceed quickly. As in the past, we have respected the individual right of highly qualified individuals to make the personal decision of whether and when to apply. Once an individual makes an application, we include the applicant’s name on a list posted on the presidential search website and we provide ample access for our key constituencies during the Gainesville and on-campus interviews of our finalists. We are planning to begin the selection process on Monday, October 13, 2014, and expect it to end on Wednesday, October 15th:
  • Day 1: The search committee reviews every application and decides whom to interview in Gainesville, based on their qualifications under the search criteria.
  • Day 2: The search committee interviews those applicants invited to Gainesville; determines those who are most highly qualified under the search criteria; and refers them to the Board of Trustees for interviews.
  • Part Day 2/Day 3: Each finalist appears at a campus/community assembly to meet students, staff and other interested parties, as well as a separate faculty assembly. These assemblies will be open on campus and covered by closed-circuit TV at various locales around campus and around the state of Florida. (These assemblies will be accessible to the campus community and Florida stakeholders but will not be accessible to the home campuses of the finalists outside of Florida.)
  • Day 3: The Board of Trustees interviews each finalist and elects the next UF president. The president-elect is then ratified by the Board of Governors at its next meeting.
The questions to be asked at the campus/community and faculty assemblies will be derived from the questions developed during the 2012 searches as well as recent public input. Also, the faculty senate chair is working with the faculty councils and deans to arrive at the questions for the faculty assemblies. Of the more than 100 stakeholder comments , the emerging themes of highest interest concerned the breadth of UF and a balance in various aspects of its mission; the contributions of UF’s land grant mission; UF’s research, scholarship and impact locally, in the state, nationally and internationally; and a commitment to broadly defined diversity, free expression and multi-cultural experience. Information on the assemblies will be posted on the search website.
I will provide frequent updates, and you can also follow along at www.presidentsearch.ufl.edu. Public notices of the search committee meetings, interviews and assemblies will be posted on the website.
Thank you for your dedication to University of Florida. The next president will lead our great university to a promising future indeed. We have worked hard to encourage a pool that includes highly qualified leaders, with distinguished academic credentials, as well as the leadership, management and fundraising abilities to achieve our university’s goals. I am optimistic and excited as we anticipate the next phases of the process.
Sincerely,
Steven M. Scott
Chairman
UF President Search Committee
UF Board of Trustees

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That could be interpreted variously.

Munk

Quitter
Aug 3, 2014
In Foley's defense, Muschamp was highly regarded and pegged as coach in waiting at Texas. Seemed like a good hire and a bit of a coup at the time. I am hoping for a hire with a proven track record of success this time around.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n77875]Depending on how you score this, he's either 0-2 or 1-2 on football hires. The next one is coming, and soon. Do we trust in Jeremy one more time? [/QUOTE]

SOS - not him
Zook - 100% him
Meyer - Bernie, not him
Duncechamp - 100% him

0-2

Answer......HELL NO!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious, please weigh in on how the search for Machen's replacement impacts going about a potential replacement for Muschamp. The letter you posted indicates the new president will be ratified Oct. 15. Obviously, there's a timing element here.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n77910]Gatorious, please weigh in on how the search for Machen's replacement impacts a potential replacement for Muschamp. The letter you posted indicates the new president will be ratified Oct. 15. Obviously, there's a timing element here. [/QUOTE]

I am sorry to say I have no more info other than this letter I received a few days ago.I thought it relevant to your OP.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Foley should not have carte blanche at all...no!!!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n77916 said:
I am sorry to say I have no more info other than this letter I received a few days ago.I thought it relevant to your OP.

I think it's profoundly relevant, which is why I asked. It makes you wonder if anything short of a catastrophe can prompt a decision on Muschamp's future prior to the new president coming on.

Edit: And that, further, calls into question how involved the new president, depending on who he is, will want to be in the decisionmaking process.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Munk;n77899 said:
In Foley's defense, Muschamp was highly regarded and pegged as coach in waiting at Texas. Seemed like a good hire and a bit of a coup at the time. I am hoping for a hire with a proven track record of success this time around.
Who cares if he was coach in waiting at Texas? They sucked worse than we did when we hired him. Is coach in waiting supposed to be some kind of Merritt badge? Is Texas the mecca of college football? Hell no. Tired of hearing about it the truth is half the fan base was extremely disappointed when he was hired and I was one of em.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n77920]

I think it's profoundly relevant, which is why I asked. It makes you wonder if anything short of a catastrophe can prompt a decision on Muschamp's future prior to the new president coming on.

Edit: And that, further, calls into question how involved the new president, depending on who he is, will want to be in the decisionmaking process. [/QUOTE]

Yes, it would seem a new president WILL be in place, and assuming we play how WM plays ball, by seasons' end, the stink of Champ will be ripe.
Will the new president weigh in?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n77930 said:
Yes, it would seem a new president WILL be in place, and assuming we play how WM plays ball, by seasons' end, the stink of Champ will be ripe.

or maybe the new president will take immediate action you know make statement. Hopefully he'll step in and make sure we swing for the fences on the next coaching hire.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n77930 said:

Usually they don't weigh in much at all but Machen was an exception with that disrespectful mess he pulled with Spurrier. Foley will probably be making the decision by himself this time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n77930 said:

Appreciate your input. Thought maybe you were pointing to something more specific.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I bet the new president will have more important things to address than a new coach. Foley is in charge here and of course Bull Gators will have a large say. Just my opinion I could be incorrect and I have no special knowledge.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Whoever decides needs to get it right. If not, we're in danger of becoming like the Vols...a decade(+) of a broken football program in the most powerful conference in history.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n77875]Do we trust in Jeremy one more time?[/QUOTE]
Do we have a choice?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
While I have it on good authority that both Muschamp and Foley listen to my podcasts, I don't think they really take my advice.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n77921 said:
Who cares if he was coach in waiting at Texas? They sucked worse than we did when we hired him. Is coach in waiting supposed to be some kind of Merritt badge? Is Texas the mecca of college football? Hell no. Tired of hearing about it the truth is half the fan base was extremely disappointed when he was hired and I was one of em.

Muschamp: program destroyer extraordinaire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.