Should Foley be given carte blanche on the next hire?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Foley should consult the Gatorchatter message board for the next coach.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n79298 said:

He needs to consult somebody

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n79298 said:

Even if you give him Urban, which is like drafting Shaq number one or Lebron. It is a no-brainer. Zook and Muschamp are his two other football hires. You can't tell me that you trust him implicitly to make a home run hire, can you? I can't.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorious;n79156 said:
There are protesting WM opportunities below. Make a scene.
Maybe a persistent student or intrepid reporter can get the candidate/new pres to go on record/comment on their inclination.

The ITINERARY:

Monday, October 13, 2014, and expect it to end on Wednesday, October 15th:
  • Day 1: The search committee reviews every application and decides whom to interview in Gainesville, based on their qualifications under the search criteria.
  • Day 2: The search committee interviews those applicants invited to Gainesville; determines those who are most highly qualified under the search criteria; and refers them to the Board of Trustees for interviews.
  • Part Day 2/Day 3: Each finalist appears at a campus/community assembly to meet students, staff and other interested parties, as well as a separate faculty assembly. These assemblies will be open on campus and covered by closed-circuit TV at various locales around campus and around the state of Florida. (These assemblies will be accessible to the campus community and Florida stakeholders but will not be accessible to the home campuses of the finalists outside of Florida.)
  • Day 3: The Board of Trustees interviews each finalist and elects the next UF president. The president-elect is then ratified by the Board of Governors at its next meeting.
The questions to be asked at the campus/community and faculty assemblies will be derived from the questions developed during the 2012 searches as well as recent public input. Also, the faculty senate chair is working with the faculty councils and deans to arrive at the questions for the faculty assemblies. Of the more than 100 stakeholder comments , the emerging themes of highest interest concerned the breadth of UF and a balance in various aspects of its mission; the contributions of UF’s land grant mission; UF’s research, scholarship and impact locally, in the state, nationally and internationally; and a commitment to broadly defined diversity, free expression and multi-cultural experience. Information on the assemblies will be posted on the search website.
I will provide frequent updates, and you can also follow along at www.presidentsearch.ufl.edu. Public notices of the search committee meetings, interviews and assemblies will be posted on the website.
Thank you for your dedication to University of Florida

THE FINALISTS:
After reviewing a pool of 15 applicants, the search committee has identified the following candidates to meet with the committee Tuesday in Gainesville:
  • Dr. W. Kent Fuchs, Provost, Cornell University
  • Dr. David W. McLaughlin, Provost, New York University
  • Dr. Sibrandes Poppema, President, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Before meeting with the Board of Trustees on Wednesday, the finalists will attend faculty and campus/community assemblies beginning Tuesday at 5 p.m. The locations, times and closed-circuit viewing areas for the assemblies are posted at presidentsearch.ufl.edu/president-selection/assemblies.
Following Wednesday’s finalist interviews, the Board of Trustees will name the president-elect, to be announced at a press conference later that day. For the latest developments, please visit presidentsearch.ufl.edu.
---

At least the candidate list doesn't include the President or past President(s) of UGA. [Sorry guys, couldn't resist....]

:cool:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n79298 said:

:lmao:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n79149 said:
Thanks for posting your point of view. I know I have been one of the negative people on here. Between GC and GS, I have been lurking for probably 15 years. I just started posting for the last few months because I could not take it anymore. Two things:

1) I know you don't want to attribute bad or dropped passes to Muschamp (see I am being nice and calling him by his real name). Or blown coverages. But our players come and go. Our OCs have come and gone. The one constant is that Muschamp has been the head coach. We seem to get top recruits, but he doesn't seem able to get anything out of them. JD has gotten worse each year he has been at Florida.

2) I am in corporate America. I have worked for several F500's and there is no way they would tolerate this subpar performance for 4 years. Regression= getting fired.

3) We need to hear alternate opinions even if we strongly disagree. My opinion is that we lose this week and he is fired without the announcement while the search is being done. Or that he barely squeaks by, losing to GA and the Criminoles, and is retained. Next year the SEC East is back up and we are at the bottom of it.

Wow! Thanks for being so civil! It's great to see this side of you. From many of your earlier posts I wouldn't have expected this kind of post from you and I strongly believe that you and some others in this thread have engaged the discussion with more respect, content and coherency in your posts. ...and I, personally, think that more of this would make a better board. Really. So thank you for the way you've been exemplary! (I hope you see this as sincere and not patronizing or condescending.

I hear what you're saying.

1. WR - I don't think we've gotten many top recruits here. We discussed it in another thread, but Diggs and Agholor (sp?) were big misses. We're starting to see D-Rob play well in spurts. We need to see more of Fulwood and Debose. I also think it's reasonable to say that loosing 2 WR coaches in the fashion that we lost Hill and Joker is abnormal and I don't put either of their departures on WM. Some of the blame for these recruiting failures on him, but some of it relates to these unexpected coaching losses. This is what I mean by context.

2. I have said that I think this year will show us if there truly is regression or if the ship is headed in the right direction. This relates to your third point.

3. If you insert an "if" in these sentences, then I'd agree it's likely.
Gatoravatara;n79149 said:
My opinion is that if we lose this week then he would be fired without the announcement while the search is being done.
I wouldn't have faulted Foley for moving on last year, but I think it would have been premature. If we see the program continuing to struggle, then I'd agree that we can draw that trend line and I'd agree that something needs to be done.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n79214 said:
Again, thank you for the well thought out post. Here's the issue...your perception is NOT reality. You are probably curious what that "reality" means, right? No problem. In the real observable universe, Muschamp is a sub-par SEC coach without the necessary skills needed to be highly successful SEC coach. You used a great word...CONTEXT. This means using not just won-loss record but all the available data. 7-6, 11-2(outlier), 4-8(outlier), 3-2(7-4 most likley)...classic regression to the mean. Losses to UGA and FSU translates to a 1-7 record vs our biggest rivals(UT is not considered a rival like UGA or FSU). Recruiting is now in the toilet. He was falling behind last year.

Should I get started on the offense and defense? Both have REGRESSED. He's average at best. The results bear that out. Your bell curve should be telling you all of this. You are hoping for another 11-2 season when some of us saw it wasn't REAL. Yeah, it is in the books but the chances of repeating that were slim to none based on the make-up of the season. Blocked punts, awful offense, etc...no way any team could depend on the same occurrences to help get to that 11-2 record. Guess what? Without those same lucky breaks? And a few bad ones? 4-8...wow. The time to cut the cord was last year. We missed that boat. Damn.

So, we wait...and wait...all the while our brand is suffering, recruits wavering and potential coaches given extensions. I say to you...let it go..it is okay to admit it. Time to start the healing process.
Like I said to Gatoravatara, I think respectful, content-filed posts like this make "our board" better and I'm glad that some here have engaged that way. Thanks.

The only thing I'd add to my above post and in reply to you (I've gotta stop posting and get some work done!) is this whole perception vs. reality thing. We're both looking at various bits of reality (records, historical events [such as recruiting history, coaching changes, etc], Muschamp's decision, etc.) and trying to interpret what these facts and our inferences about them "really" mean. You've drawn some conclusions (opinions) and so have I. ...so has Foley and so have recruits. However, our conclusions might not be certain (my case) or static (hopefully everyone's case). I'm not certain enough yet to say for sure whether Muschamp will make it here or not.

Thanks again for the discussion.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Euro: There's more than enough data and trends to make a conclusion. With all current data available, you can easily see that Muchamp is not a UF level head coach. He's a second tier guy. He'll be very successful in an easier conference. Take the "hope" out of it. Take the emotion out of it. He's just not a good coach or evaluator of talent. It was a mistake. The sooner we realize this the sooner we can't start fixing it. Thanks for the discussion.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n77947 said:
Usually they don't weigh in much at all but Machen was an exception with that disrespectful mess he pulled with Spurrier. Foley will probably be making the decision by himself this time.

man thats bad news!

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Law98gator;n78299 said:
I feel Fooley should be fired before the next coach is hired. Not because he hired Chimp but because he didn't fire him when it was obvious he wasn't capable of doing the job.

you are testifying and im swearing to it, amen

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
We need to make THREE good hires. A new president, AD
HC.

We are not in a good position to do that. We need to replace Foley
too. Just replacing Muscramp is like giving an aspirin to a cancer
patient.

I am also beginning to question Bernie's real interest in UF's future.

A great leader will admit when he is wrong. We have two in leadership
that would never do that.

This won't be over anytime soon. Foley needs to call Dan Mullen and
find out how much it will take. He is definitely the man we need.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n79499 said:
I think as soon as Muschamp is fired there will be unity in the Gator Nation.

That would depend on the hire and how they produce. No coach including Spurrier had unitty upon the hire in the last 3 decades.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n79485 said:
"He's set to finish behind Kintucky in recruiting for the second straight year."

This is factual. We finished ahead of Tucky last year on all the major recruiting sites though we are currently trailing them this year. How come all these kids don't think last year was just because of injuries? What are they waiting for?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
T REX;n79533 said:
This is factual. We finished ahead of Tucky last year on all the major recruiting sites though we are currently trailing them this year. How come all these kids don't think last year was just because of injuries? What are they waiting for?
So then how in God's name is that factual? We finished ahead oft them last year and are trailing them for the second straight year? ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.