Should I Update to Windows 10? The Free Update Ends July 29th

Should I Update To Windows 10

• Yes, It's Free Now.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No, I'm Happy with My Old Version For Now.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I Would Like A Technical Forum Where Gators Could Talk About Problems With Other Gators.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The deadline is approaching for free upgrades to end. I believe that “the free upgrade offer will end on July 29,” . After that you have to buy it and I also read that they are dropping support for Windows 7.

There äre threads about Win10 but this one is about the free deadline so post your questions änd you might get them answered.

P.S. We don't need any Apple or Linux pukes ;)

Last edited:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you are planning to migrate your eligible computers to Windows 10 for free, you can perform the upgrade by using the Get Windows 10 app or by creating your own installation media (e.g., ISO files) with the media creation tool. Installing Windows 10 through the app is much easier than creating your own installation media, so that is the method recommended by Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I may try. 10 seems better than 8. But I'm going to make a rescue disk that will hopefully allow me to revert to 7 if I want.

I have one machine that came as 8. What trash.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I upgraded about 3 months ago and it's been rock solid. Much better than 8.
It's usually the privacy concerns around Win 10 that pucker one's sphincter.
Gren - if you have that link that shows how to shut off the ways that MS grabs your data - please throw it in.
If not - I can post it once I'm back on my laptop.
Overall - 10 is good stuff.
Now...my Linux 7 is even better :grin:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I may try. 10 seems better than 8. But I'm going to make a rescue disk that will hopefully allow me to revert to 7 if I want.

I have one machine that came as 8. What trash.
You can revert back to 7 at anytime until you decide to delete the old system. I burned a complete backup on an external hard drive. You know most people never burn their system dvds when they get their new computers, you know the ones that the manufacturers use to supply but don't anymore.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now...my Linux 7 is even better :grin:
What the hell is Linux 7? I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 on the machine in my hands right now. I've played with pretty much every version of Linux though.

Edit: Redhat I guess. I should have said I've run almost every FREE Linux distro.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
What the hell is Linux 7? I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 on the machine in my hands right now. I've played with pretty much every version of Linux though.

Red Hat Linux 7 - Enterprise Workstation.
However - Ubuntu from what I hear is the more user friendly way to go.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I just started with Ubuntu and seem to end up back there. A forensics computer guy, high end guy at a company we'd all recognize, introduced me to it years ago. He convinced me it was far safer than Windows or Mac. I've never had a security issue since on the Linux machines.

And it's free. And I'm cheap.

I've also played with a few Puppy Linux versions. Kinda fun and can run damn near anything, even very OLD machines. If you are just cruising the net and occasionally making a doc here and there, it is he bomb.

I end up tinkering on machines some time when family members can't get them fixed or whatever. Sometimes I can unfvkk Windows, sometimes I can't, especially without a rescue disk that no one seems to burn these days. Ubuntu is a cheap and easy fix for those.

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I just started with Ubuntu and seem to end up back there. A forensics computer guy, high end guy, introduced me to it years ago.

And it's free. And I'm cheap.

I've also played with a few Puppy Linux versions. Kinda fun and can run damn near anything, even very OLD machines. If you are just cruising the net and occasionally making a doc here and there, it is he bomb.

That's the cool thing about Linux - there are a massive number of distros out there.
Many of the Fed agencies I talk to now are all about containers (Docker) and moving away from VMware virtual machines (not completely though).

Alpine Linux (used now by Docker as their base image for their containers) is supposed to be a small footprint version - something like 5MB?
"Alpine Linux is a security-oriented, lightweight Linux distribution based on musl libc and busy box." The latest version of Alpine Linux v3.3 weighs in at a whopping 5MB. Not bad for a full blown Linux OS considering 5MB is same size as the Windows Start button."

Versus around 188MB uncompressed tarball - 59MB compressed of Ubuntu - which Docker used to use.

https://www.brianchristner.io/docker-is-moving-to-alpine-linux/

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What pisses me off about the whole upgrade scam is that it's unnecessary. At this point computers are nothing more than appliances. I don't need them to change the interface on my toaster or light switch every few years, why my computer. It happens with every piece of software and website. They change it just for the sake of changing it. It's like going to use a hammer for the first time in 6 months and they've moved the claw to one end and the face to the other and stuck a pean in the middle. So instead of just hammering the damn nail I have to learn how to use a new hammer. Make it lighter, stronger but don't change how I use the thing.

And it's a nightmare of you own a business. Not to mention the cost of upgrading everyone's OS and sometimes PC's. But the cost of the applications that we use. Plus employee's tend to know enough about how to use a computer to do their job. Keeping everybody on the same versions of applications is important. Every time there's a new release of something there's a learning curve to do the same damn job. How many times have you run up against "well I know how to do it in Windows X but I can't find it in Windows Y". Microsoft Office is the same is issue. Is it really necessary to change the form, fit and function of my email client?

There has nothing that's been improved with the Windows GUI since Windows 95.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here are 3 really good questions
How do you prevent Microsoft from getting information for which there is not a setting?

How do you detect when Microsoft resets privacy options with an update?

Do users really have to re-check the options every time Microsoft forces maintenance onto their systems?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great comments Threat. I think like you and everybody else prolly thinjs its about selling you that new hammer cause they arent gonna make the nails you need for the old one.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Windows 10 updates can't be turned off

“The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/17/windows-10-forced-automatic-updates/#3d2a16e0696c
You believe Forbes?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What pisses me off about the whole upgrade scam is that it's unnecessary. At this point computers are nothing more than appliances. I don't need them to change the interface on my toaster or light switch every few years, why my computer. It happens with every piece of software and website. They change it just for the sake of changing it. It's like going to use a hammer for the first time in 6 months and they've moved the claw to one end and the face to the other and stuck a pean in the middle. So instead of just hammering the damn nail I have to learn how to use a new hammer. Make it lighter, stronger but don't change how I use the thing.

And it's a nightmare of you own a business. Not to mention the cost of upgrading everyone's OS and sometimes PC's. But the cost of the applications that we use. Plus employee's tend to know enough about how to use a computer to do their job. Keeping everybody on the same versions of applications is important. Every time there's a new release of something there's a learning curve to do the same damn job. How many times have you run up against "well I know how to do it in Windows X but I can't find it in Windows Y". Microsoft Office is the same is issue. Is it really necessary to change the form, fit and function of my email client?

There has nothing that's been improved with the Windows GUI since Windows 95.
I have a working copy of Windows 3.11 for Workgroups if you want to revert back to the good old days. :lmao2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.