Should I Update to Windows 10? The Free Update Ends July 29th

Should I Update To Windows 10

• Yes, It's Free Now.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No, I'm Happy with My Old Version For Now.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I Would Like A Technical Forum Where Gators Could Talk About Problems With Other Gators.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Well, I agree. However, I did update my Win7 and Win8.1 machines. I prefer 7 but I'm a cheap bastard. My thought was a few years down the road, when MS is selling Win15 and Win7 isn't being supported anymore but Win10 is, I will wish I had upgraded for free. I hate paying for Windows because I could live without it but my kids love their video games.

FWIW, the upgrade was totally painless. Surprisingly painless, even with my Win7 machine that had a linux dual boot setup, though the GRUB still sees the Windows partition as Win7. It was actually easier than just initiating a new system out of the box has been in the past. I know, I know, some claim is should be called Windows 8.2 or whatever but they definitely did a better job of getting the bugs out.

I can't say that I notice any performance differences one way or the other though. I hear that it is more secure. I hope they are right.

Well, I think that is a bit confused. It isn't a Linux-style command line, it IS Linux, or more accurately apparently some compatibility layer for Linux. It is incredibly interesting in theory, yet most of what I do in Linux, like everyone else in any other OS, is browsing and the occasional word processing. It seems like it would still have all the Windows safety concerns though. I prefer Linux because it's safer (little to no virus concerns), more stable (doesn't crash ever), and because it's free. Running Linux through Windows destroys my first and second reasons for running it. The other thing I use Linux for is fixing Windows problems (especially disk problems) or bypassing Windows security (easily I might add, and I'm a completely untrained novice).

I wonder if it will allow access to Linux program libraries? I imagine a few small utilities would be all that interest me. Can't imagine wanting to do that within windows.

I did update my laptop that had 8.1. Not difficult, just took a while to download and update. My wife was kind of pissed while on vacation she wanted to do some work on it but had to wait until the next day for the update to process. As far as I know once it finished it was fine. I don't use this laptop a lot.

I have screwed around with my daughter's laptop that has 10, and not really a big fan of it. I'm sure once I learned it it would be fine. I just find Win 7 pretty familiar. I'll be lucky if I get another year or two out of these PC's, so I'm not worried about losing support down the road.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The key is not to compare 7 to 10. You really have no option to remain with 7. They are going to stop supporting it to force everyone to pay for 10.

Win 10 is a clear improvement over 8.1, that is no doubt. At least the damn windows button is back and we aren't forced to pretend we all have touchscreens.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
The key is not to compare 7 to 10. You really have no option to remain with 7. They are going to stop supporting it to force everyone to pay for 10.

Win 10 is a clear improvement over 8.1, that is no doubt. At least the damn windows button is back and we aren't forced to pretend we all have touchscreens.

Windows 7 will be supported until about 2020 or so. The PC's I have are 4 and 5 years old. No way will I be using them another 4 years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I don't know. They have a lot of leeway in what ends when they ended "mainstream support" of Win 7. At the minimum it means some updated accessories won't work with new file types, new video and game formats and the like. That's unacceptable for many if not most.

Sure, they claim to fix "security threats" for another few years, but their efforts with their outdated products like Vista and XP in recent years have been terrible. Vista was like bareback riding a junky whore in south Detroit for several years before Microsoft finally admitted they were no longer doing even security fixes.

Again, my needs may be different than yours. I just cruise and word process on my home computer. If it weren't for the kids needing a machine for gaming--which a horribly outdated windows machine won't do anyway-- I might not own an Microsoft product at all.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Well, I don't know. They have a lot of leeway in what ends when they ended "mainstream support" of Win 7. At the minimum it means some updated accessories won't work with new file types, new video and game formats and the like. That's unacceptable for many if not most.

Sure, they claim to fix "security threats" for another few years, but their efforts with their outdated products like Vista and XP in recent years have been terrible. Vista was like bareback riding a junky whore in south Detroit for several years before Microsoft finally admitted they were no longer doing even security fixes.

Again, my needs may be different than yours. I just cruise and word process on my home computer. If it weren't for the kids needing a machine for gaming--which a horribly outdated windows machine won't do anyway-- I might not own an Microsoft product at all.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2475079,00.asp

Security updates go until 2020. For these home PC's I really use it just for browsing, Quicken, and basic Microsoft office applications. Win 7 will be fine for now. Like I said, I did update my Win 8.1 laptop which is somewhat newer.

I suspect they will support at some level Win 7 for a while. It is the standard for most corporate applications. They had a hell of a time getting companies off of XP a few years ago.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I know they claim security updates continued, just like they did with Vista and XP. However, you'd be a fool to run either within the last few years of their life.

BTW, I'm a big Win 7 fan and we use it at work. However, this one feels different. MS is desperate to get people into 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb