Should UF/FSU be moved to start of season? (link to poll)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good question here. I'm torn on this, but I know Spurrier hated playing the game at the end of the season w/ the potential chance of playing in the SECCG:

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/POLL-Should-the-FSU-game-be-played-at-start-of-season-52624692

POLL: Should the FSU game be played at start of season?
Would you be in favor of moving the Florida State game up to the beginning of the schedule?

In two of the next three seasons, Florida will open its season with a marquee opponent at a neutral site. This year, the Gators will kick off against Michigan in Texas, before taking on Miami in Orlando to open the 2019 season.

That got us to thinking. Would you like to see Florida play more of these marquee games to open the season?

Jim McElwain certainly seemed to be in favor of it when he spoke about the Michigan opener this spring.

"It’s something that, obviously the schedules are made well in advance, but that’s something that when I first got to Alabama and just philosophical things talking with coach (Nick Saban)," McElwain said, "He believed in trying to get one of those games early in the year if we could.

"I think that helps in all six phases as far as your ability to get ready to go. In this case I could see, well we’re young too, but just see that energy in those first two phases and spring ball, now we've got to get ready."

The major issue with Florida scheduling marquee games is it makes the schedule brutal. Because of Florida's annual rivalry with Florida State, when UF opts for a major game to open the season, it has two very tough non-conference opponents, as well as its full SEC slate.

One way to combat that?

Moving the Florida State game to the beginning of the schedule. That would allow the rivalry to continue, give the fans something to look forward to each year during the offseason and allow both teams more time to bounce back from a loss in the rivalry.

Under the current setup, a loss in that rivalry game at the end of the year is often fatal if either team is in the playoff hunt.

Would you support moving the Florida State game to the beginning of the season? Vote in the poll below and drop us a line with your thoughts in the comments section.

upload_2017-5-5_10-1-11.png Poll
When should UF-FSU be played?
6_4999914.jpg

Would you be in favor of moving the Florida-Florida State game to the beginning of the season?
Ends on 1/01/01
    Yes
    percentage39.35 %
    No
    percentage

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well ... playing right there - first game, gives Jimbo less time to have individual star players' court cases thrown out?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Would you be in favor of moving the Florida-Florida State game to the beginning of the season?
Ends on 1/01/01 ?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
End of season, nothing better than crushing their fantasy/hopes/dream of being relevant in the playoff.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well ... playing right there - first game, gives Jimbo less time to have individual star players' court cases thrown out?
This is actually a very valid point. I think playing them at the start of the season gives us an advantage. We are usually beat up at the end of the season whereas they are more fresh since there isn't much wear and tear from an ACC schedule. I also think playing a rival in the first game is a fun and exciting way to start the season.

If we win, then that will help our ranking with the strength of schedule. In years when we'll actually be in a playoff hunt, early season losses aren't as harmful as late season losses. We'll have plenty of time to bounce back if we lose.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Don't move it. Not very often have they met with it all on the line and undefeated at that point in the season. The only time I can remember it was a fatal blow was in '97. And as always.....NUCK the FOLES

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
There's something about the "all or nothing, go big or go home" atmosphere that really amped up the rivalry when they moved it to the final game of the year. Gators just gotta get back to greatness to meet the standard.

Go Gators!!!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I vaguely remember growing up when UF would close the season with their last two games being the Semenholes and scUM.

Don't move it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Top 5 worst ideas ever proposed. The rivalry week to close the season is one of the greatest things about college football. Playing your hated in-state rival in the beginning or middle of the season is reserved for the also-ran programs of the world like Uk vs Louisville or Colorado vs (ahem) Colorado State.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's something about the "all or nothing, go big or go home" atmosphere that really amped up the rivalry when they moved it to the final game of the year. Gators just gotta get back to greatness to meet the standard.

Go Gators!!!

I'll agree....getting back to greatness should be the goal...but I'll take "not getting blown out". Baby steps...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Where is the cancel the yearly series and replace it with a rotating series will all the D1A Florida schools option?

They need us a lot. We don't need them at all. Our SOS is fine without them.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
NO!!! And I really don't like starting the year with anything other than wimps. That is a formula for success.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Where is the cancel the yearly series and replace it with a rotating series will all the D1A Florida schools option?

This is the same guy who thinks we should cancel the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is the same guy who thinks we should cancel the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.
Yeah. I obviously still want to play Ugly every year, I just don't want to give half the money to Jacksonville.

I'd just as soon drop a tactical nuclear bomb on Trashahassee. The world would be a better place.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member

Winner!

I don't like the game at the end. Too much impact on rankings and right before SECCG,. Injuiries accumulate by then, so we're down usually when we play them. They, OTOH, have their relative cakewalk opponent defense schedule and are normally relatively uninjured. And the week before at SECCG is not the time for more injuries, and given the biased officiating at their location, the probability of injury to our players increases way above normal odds, as does the opportunity to take out a key player for "targeting" for the following game.

Personally I'd rather not play them as they are a despicable program, and we benefit them more than they do us. Why help them? I'd rather not have anything to do with that program.

I wouldn't want them first game, but I prefer the idea of playing them earlier as opposed to last on the schedule.

I really like the idea of rotating the D1A Florida opponents, and I could stand it I guess if FSU was included that way..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.