Recruiting Should UF pursue Ohio State QB Joe Burrow if he transfers?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sad that we are so traumatized that we practically wet ourselves over every transfer that becomes available.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely we should. Imagine this best case scenario: Burrow transfers here, Jefferson and Grimes are cleared for immediate availability.

We would have the best UF offense in a decade.

With the way things have gone for us, I just don’t see the best case scenario happening. It’s more likely he doesn’t come here, and Grimes and Jefferson aren’t eligible til ‘19.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
With the way things have gone for us, I just don’t see the best case scenario happening. It’s more likely he doesn’t come here, and Grimes and Jefferson aren’t eligible til ‘19.
Honestly, Jay, that doesn't sound like you.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Looks like Urbs is at it.

This is going to be interesting to watch. No way Urban doesn't start Haskins (barring injury). He selfishly wants Burrow to stay, but has admitted they'll help him find somewhere to transfer.

Doing a google search, there were several articles from late December (during OSU's bowl preps) about Burrow making a lot of progress and feeling like he wanted to stay...that has since soured. He wants to play.

UF, Nebraska, and Cincinnati are the schools he's apparently considering. I'm not sure Urban would want him at Nebraska since they're in the same conference. Cincy would keep him close to home...and he'd be playing for a familiar coach. But his best chance to succeed on the big stage is at UF.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
The Nebraska sites are all speculating Burrow may transfer there...which would be another great fit.

Nebraska is apparently seeking a grad transfer QB badly and they had been looking to get Arizona's QB,
Brandon Dawkins. But Dawkins recently decided on Indiana.

https://huskercorner.com/2018/04/15/nebraska-football-joe-burrow-grad/

isn't Nebraska in OSU's conference? not sure Creyer would be down for that. plus, he's peeps with Mullen so maybe their relationship will trump the Huskers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
isn't Nebraska in OSU's conference? not sure Creyer would be down for that. plus, he's peeps with Mullen so maybe their relationship will trump the Huskers.

Completely agree. I would guess if he leaves he's going to look at 4 schools:

UF (Mullen connection)
Texas (Herman connection)
Cincinnati (Fleck connection)
Nebraska (similar offense) - which will likely get eliminated by Urban (due to conference connection)

Meyer is meeting w/ the OC and QB coaches today to discuss. Honestly, I don't think he tries to get cute (i.e. he'll tell the kid he's the #2). Martell is a good back up for them and the future of the program. The only issue is they don't have a #3 (we got EJ from them), so that's the only issue for OSU w/ a QB leaving.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Completely agree. I would guess if he leaves he's going to look at 4 schools:

UF (Mullen connection)
Texas (Herman connection)
Cincinnati (Fleck connection)
Nebraska (similar offense) - which will likely get eliminated by Urban (due to conference connection)

Meyer is meeting w/ the OC and QB coaches today to discuss. Honestly, I don't think he tries to get cute (i.e. he'll tell the kid he's the #2). Martell is a good back up for them and the future of the program. The only issue is they don't have a #3 (we got EJ from them), so that's the only issue for OSU w/ a QB leaving.

We’re certainly not a lock, but I would be surprised if we got beat out by nu. Last I knew, under typical transfer rules, coaches don’t typically “allow” a transfer within the conference, which means a player would sit out 2 years instead of 1. Not sure how it affects grad transfers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He will be graduated. Urbs has no say in where he goes. It's most likely Nebraska.
We’re certainly not a lock, but I would be surprised if we got beat out by nu. Last I knew, under typical transfer rules, coaches don’t typically “allow” a transfer within the conference, which means a player would sit out 2 years instead of 1. Not sure how it affects grad transfers.

This is somewhat true, but there is a provision to block a transfer (see the bolded part):

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Graduate Exception
The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

• The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
  • The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
  • The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
  • The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If QB race is 'equal' will Joe Burrow stay at OSU? He answers
Burrow answers the question on the minds of many Buckeye fans, plus much more

https://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/Will-Joe-Burrow-stay-at-Ohio-State-He-answers-117382782

Leaving spring, Urban Meyer says the quarterback competition between Joe Burrow and Dwayne Haskins is too close to call.

Is that enough for Burrow to stick around at Ohio State for his fourth-year junior season in 2018? Or does he need to be told he is the starter in order for him to stay?

That is the question Burrow was asked time and time again following his strong performance in the Buckeyes' spring game on Saturday.

"I just have to meet with my coaches to see what they're thinking and kind of meet in the middle," Burrow said.

Burrow was asked if he needs to hear something specific during said meetings to make up his mind.

"No, I don't think so," he said. "We just kind of have to have a conversation together, and that will be with coach Meyer, coach (Kevin) Wilson, coach (Ryan) Day, and kind of see how it goes."

What if the coaches tell him it's equal and that they want to push the competition into preseason camp and perhaps beyond?

"I would have to have conversations with my family and still my coaches here and my friends that I'm close to," Burrow said. "I'll have to make a decision."

Burrow made it clear he's not ruling anything out at this point in terms of whether to remain at Ohio State or perhaps transfer.

"I would say just about everything is on the table right now," he said.

However, he also made it clear that transferring is not what he wants to have transpire.

"It would be very hard for me to leave," he said. "I've put so much into this -- I've put my heart and soul in it -- and if I were to leave it would be pretty devastating for me. But at the same time, I would understand how they (OSU's coaches) went."

Later, Burrow was once again asked by a reporter whether he needed to be assured he is the Buckeyes' starter in order to stay.

"Well, I came here to play," Burrow said. "I didn't come here to sit on the bench for four years. And I know I'm pretty darn good quarterback and I want to play somewhere."

Bucknuts asked Burrow what the coaches told the QBs entering the spring game, or even prior to that. Did they say it was equal between Burrow and Haskins?

"We really haven't had conversations about it yet," Burrow said. "Those conversations happen after spring when everybody can kind of take a step back and evaluate it. But when you're in spring, it's kind of hard to do that because you're so focused on execution and writing the scripts and going hard every day in practice."

Meyer often says leadership and toughness are at the forefront of traits he looks for in a quarterback. Burrow believes that bodes well for him.

"If they were to go with me, I think those would be the areas that put me over the top," he said. "Obviously, Dwayne has an arm that you don't see a lot. I have a pretty darn good arm, too. But I think my leadership and my intangibles really came alive this spring."

Burrow definitely has a chip on his shoulder regarding all the chatter outside the program that he will eventually transfer.

"Yeah, I've heard for three years that I'm never going to play here, that I'm going to end up transferring, that I'm not good enough to play here," he said. "I just sit back, put my nose to the grindstone and work. And that's what I've done for three years and I think I've come a long way."

As for Burrow's spring game performance, he finished 14-of-22 for 238 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions, and outplayed Haskins.

"I think this was the best offseason I've had since I've been here," Burrow said. "I took a big step this spring. I think this spring I played about as well as I could have. I put everything I had into it and that decision is for the coaches."

"No, I would say it's a lot less stressful than actually being in the competition. Now, you can kind of just sit back and relax. You know the body of work that you had, and I know I played very well, and I also took a big step as a leader this spring as well. So, I'll kind of sit back and see how it plays out."

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Burrow has played in 10 games during his Ohio State career (5 as a redshirt freshman in 2016; 5 in 2017). He is 29-of-39 for 287 yards with two TDs and zero picks during those contests.

For much more from Burrow, watch our video interview with him above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.