"Slimmed down" (250lbs) CeCe Jefferson back to full-time DE?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good move for him but it reminds me about our situation at DT when it comes to quality depth which is going to be an issue especially when a few injuries happen during the season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good move for him but it reminds me about our situation at DT when it comes to quality depth which is going to be an issue especially when a few injuries happen during the season.
Dont worry, the plan is to play two guys all season. If one of them gets hurt the alternative plan is to use the 2013 excuse that no coach could win with all those injuries.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Dont worry, the plan is to play two guys all season. If one of them gets hurt the alternative plan is to use the 2013 excuse that no coach could win with all those injuries.
I imagine mac has a desk full of excuses already written out for the upcoming season. There's no way in hell we have a successful yr with only 2 true DT's (with experience) on the roster!

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Oh please tell me this is a bad rumor....on the DL struggles

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
We're more than likely gonna struggle up the middle this year. Don't think CeCe playing as an undersized DT will change that any. Better to put him at end where he can cause the most havoc.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Oh please tell me this is a bad rumor....on the DL struggles

Nope. There was an article on another site but it is only spring practice. Slaton needs to get eligible.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. There was an article on another site but it is only spring practice. Slaton needs to get eligible.
People seem not to be optimistic.

Honestly, do we REALLY think a freshman DT is going to contribute anyway? Even against dirextional schools? A kid who can do that is one in a thousand.

Remind me the last true freshman DT we had that contributed.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Honestly, do we REALLY think a freshman DT is going to contribute anyway? Even against dirextional schools? A kid who can do that is one in a thousand.

Not sure off hand. Some of that is the function of already having experienced depth in front of incoming guys. It's not ideal but he's a huge body. All the people that say stars don't matter are finally going to go...oh wait, they do(even though they ignore Bama & FSU the last two years).

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Im all for moving him back to DE, but 250 is too light even for that. 265-270 with his size and athleticism is what we need on the edge.
I get a kick out of the notion of being undersized, not that I disagree. Is anybody else blown away by the size of these guys. When I was in HS and long after a 300 pounder was rare. Football is one sport where the old timer, smaller greats would be ran over by these guys. Too much size and speed. In fact, it's amazing any player survives unscathed. Of course, very few do.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah and the arent just 300 pounders they are generally 300 poundees in incredible shape.

It too remember when a 250pound end WASNT undersided but those 250 pound ends played against 260 pound offensive linemen..... in the 70s.

No amount of recalling the olden days is going to keep Bammer, uga, and every other SEC team not named Kintucky or Vandy from fielding OL full of 310 pound maulers.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Sharif Floyd maybe? I remember Mike Pouncey played a little DT, but that was more out of necessity if I remember correctly.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I expect us to have a functional OL for the first time since 2009 or so, probably not full of AllSEC types, but maybe top 1/3 in the SEC. I also expect us to have a below average to terrible run defense.

The lack of depth will also make it terribly difficult to practice because we can't afford to lose our two DTs.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The DT position is the most dire on the team. If either of the 2 returning players gets injured it's going to get ugly. We need Desir-Jones to be able to play 10+ snaps a game and possibly Riles. Both of those give us non-true freshman 300lb DT's.....and again, just 10 or so snaps a game. Then there's Polite. If he's 285 or bigger I think he will play quite a bit. That would give us 5 solid DT's....not All-SEC types, but solid.

We need Slaton to qualify (badly). He'll be another 10-20 snap type player. I'm not expecting the other true freshman to play much, w/ one likely redshirting.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
BMF, are you really calling two converted offensive lineman playing out of position at DT...SOLID?

In what universe?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Riles will work out. He has an edge to him. I dont expect anything out of Desir.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BMF, are you really calling two converted offensive lineman playing out of position at DT...SOLID?

In what universe?

They are football players. They have been in the program 3 & 4 years (DJ's 3, Riles 4) - i.e. they are not true freshman. They both played HS DT and Riles has played 6 games at DT already (he needs to get healthy, however). So yes, I'm saying they are solid. I didn't say "starters", just solid. If those guys can come in fresh and play 10+ snaps that will be huge. And honestly, I think Riles could be a solid #3 (if healthy). He's 6'4 315+ and as Law said, has an edge. Along w/ Polite, that gives us 5 non-true freshman DT's (if indeed Riles moves to DT....which I cannot imagine doesn't happen). I think the move of RDJ to DT shows that - at least - the coaching staff is addressing the need at DT. Add in Slaton - at 350lbs - and we could (I said "could") be okay. We just need them ALL to stay healthy, especially the two starters.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Aren't we in need for Linebackers? Why not just move him there and be done with it?

Or what we used to call a 53 player, half LB half DE. All trouble for your opponent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.