Recruiting So Does Recruiting Class Rank REALLY Matter?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
JT Barrett is a high-level four-star. Their back up, Dwayne Haskins is also a high-level four star. He is a freshman. He's probably going to be better than Barrett. So Ohio state is sitting pretty.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Dabo also has been getting a very nice haul of 5 star or high 4 star players, largely at iur expense, since 2006. Id be curious to see how the 5 star numbers look bc I expect him to be about 4th or 5th behind Bammer, CUMeyes, Corndogs, and Clowns. Im on my phone and cant do it but I notice even this year they are third in 5 stars.

Those Tebow, Spikes, Dunlaps, RFN and Easleys really change the game.

Dabo has gotten a lot of miles out of his 5 stars, unlike Less Miles.

Pulling three 5*s a year. Getting a Heisman caliber QB has helped also.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It looks like Jake Browning was a four star on rivals. But he was the third best quarterback in that class and was originally a five star. He must've gotten bumped down at the end of the year. Only the top 20 to 25 players in the country are five stars with rivals. Regardless of position.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I said quite a while ago that you don't need to be top 5 every year (or any year for that matter) to be successful. If you can finish somewhere between 10 and 12, maybe 10-15, you can do very well on the field so long as 1) you fill your needs with players that fit your system and 2) you have balanced classes. You can't take 15 five star DBs with 0 offensive/defensive linemen and linebackers and expect to be successful.

With that being said, pulling in the 30th ranked class (or whatever we are currently ranked) isn't going to cut it in the SEC.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If you're filling your needs and keeping depth, you can hover around 10-15 and be good. Clemson is proof of that. The problem is we're doing neither.

TheSaintThing05

Founding Member
Frost or death
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Difference is Washington and Clemson don't have to play in the meat grinder SEC, we do...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Coaching?

2-8 vs ranked teams.

Signature win is beating a 4 loss unranked LSU team. Biblical beatdowns by FSU and Bammer. Saban has never lost by more than 14 points. I know, I know...but the pumpers are allowed to bring up his first season every time our coach loses. La-Monroe? Hello?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I agree with Law98Gator that those special players make a huge difference. The Percy Harvins and Tim Tebows of the world can change a good team into a great team.

I think the recruiting classes at the very top of the rankings, say the first four or five, are head and shoulders above the rest. After that it becomes less sure. Clemson's 15 ranked class may have been a 9th ranked class if they had 2 more scholarships. The size of the class has way too much impact on the rankings.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with Law98Gator that those special players make a huge difference. The Percy Harvins and Tim Tebows of the world can change a good team into a great team.

I think the recruiting classes at the very top of the rankings, say the first four or five, are head and shoulders above the rest. After that it becomes less sure. Clemson's 15 ranked class may have been a 9th ranked class if they had 2 more scholarships. The size of the class has way too much impact on the rankings.

Disagree. You can spot those number heavy classes out and they end up outliers. The pure bluechip classes that are filled with more 4/5 stars than 3 stars...those are the ones. I've done all the research. Did you read any of those articles? They tell the story from a non-opinionated stance. Pure facts. Over the long haul better classes win more games. Period. This 10-15 garbage is purely garbage. It's rationalization for our staffs failure on the trail. Stop it.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Coaching?

2-8 vs ranked teams.

Signature win is beating a 4 loss unranked LSU team. Biblical beatdowns by FSU and Bammer. Saban has never lost by more than 14 points. I know, I know...but the pumpers are allowed to bring up his first season every time our coach loses. La-Monroe? Hello?

Those people are talking about Saban at Alabama which was his 4th college head coaching position. If you are going to compare Saban and Mac then it would be more fair to compare Saban in his second college head coaching position.

Saban landed his second college head coach position, and his first at what is now a Power 5 school, at Michigan State. His very first game was against Nebraska and Saban's team lost 50-10. That same season he lost to Wisconsin 45-14. He lost the bowl game to LSU 45-26.

In his first 4 seasons at MSU Saban went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5 and 6-6. Finally in his 5th season he led the Spartans to a 9-2 record and finished 2nd in the conference. Overall he was 34-24-1 at MSU and 23-16-1 in the conference.

I bet there were a lot of Spartans fans who wanted that idiot coach fired in his second season.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Those people are talking about Saban at Alabama which was his 4th college head coaching position. If you are going to compare Saban and Mac then it would be more fair to compare Saban in his second college head coaching position.

Saban landed his second college head coach position, and his first at what is now a Power 5 school, at Michigan State. His very first game was against Nebraska and Saban's team lost 50-10. That same season he lost to Wisconsin 45-14. He lost the bowl game to LSU 45-26.

In his first 4 seasons at MSU Saban went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5 and 6-6. Finally in his 5th season he led the Spartans to a 9-2 record and finished 2nd in the conference. Overall he was 34-24-1 at MSU and 23-16-1 in the conference.

You're as tone deaf as he is. This isn't Michigan State. Mac will score Leatherwood, Stidham and many other 4/5 stars, beat Iowa and go 10-3 next year or he's fired. I doubt he saves his job.

I never compare Saban to Mac because it's hilarious. Mac runs the team like he's still at CSU. UF is too big for Montana Sky guy.

PS Nice gloss over on the recruiting facts.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I bet there were a lot of Spartans fans who wanted that idiot coach fired in his second season.

:what:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Difference is Washington and Clemson don't have to play in the meat grinder SEC, we do...
I agree with the Washington part but clemson could run through our schedule pretty easily. They gave bama all they wanted last year and should have won that one. I'd be happy if we were as good as clemson. Man, that feels weird typing that.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rankings are a good start, but there a few other variables. Coaching comes to mind. Talent evaluation is important and I think our staff does evaluate talent well. Class retention/roster management. You have to be able to hold on to your recruits and know when to get rid of them. Meyer had a couple classes here where we had several guys never make it to campus. You can definitely make a living of recruiting solid 3 and 4* kids, if you evaluate well, fill you needs, manage your roster, and get a couple game changers every couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.