Recruiting So Does Recruiting Class Rank REALLY Matter?

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
My response? If Washington continues recruiting like that, they won't be back to the playoffs. It isn't sustainable. Also, you are going to find out those rankings matter as Bama is significantly better at the line of scrimmage. Stars matter on D.
Peterson did it at Boise

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
14th. And the defense we run requires actual DTs, not hybrids or DEs playing inside. DTs running fast has zero to do with the interior of our defense. Being big heavy, strong hole pluggers has everything to do with the defense we run.

12th is the composite number listed at 247. I will always take the composite ranking over one service.

If you want a pass rush that pushes up the middle some, then yes the ability to run matters a lot at D-tackle.

High school put their best athletes at the position best TO HELP THEIR HIGH SCHOOL TEAM. Usually high schools put their best athlete at QB. So I would be fine signing 22 QBs each class if we could be sure they would stay and we could build some into athletic DL, OL, LBs etc. Of course that does not happen in this day and time, but I sure think getting the best athletes we can and putting them in their best college position is desirable.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
You're as tone deaf as he is. This isn't Michigan State. Mac will score Leatherwood, Stidham and many other 4/5 stars, beat Iowa and go 10-3 next year or he's fired. I doubt he saves his job.

I never compare Saban to Mac because it's hilarious. Mac runs the team like he's still at CSU. UF is too big for Montana Sky guy.

PS Nice gloss over on the recruiting facts.

I was simply replying to you stating that Saban had never lost by more than 14 points. He has lost by more than 14 points many times.

PS Nice gloss over on the actual facts regarding Saban

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Peterson did it at Boise
Please tell me about all the Life Championships Boise has won.

We're not a midmajor who only needs enough depth to play one or zero ranked teams in the season and pull off one surprise victory over a P5 team that is mad about missing a playoff game.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
12th is the composite number listed at 247. I will always take the composite ranking over one service.

If you want a pass rush that pushes up the middle some, then yes the ability to run matters a lot at D-tackle.

High school put their best athletes at the position best TO HELP THEIR HIGH SCHOOL TEAM. Usually high schools put their best athlete at QB. So I would be fine signing 22 QBs each class if we could be sure they would stay and we could build some into athletic DL, OL, LBs etc. Of course that does not happen in this day and time, but I sure think getting the best athletes we can and putting them in their best college position is desirable.
Rivals - 14th. The only one that's actually respected. And yes, let's just sign QBs and have them play with one or two hands down, sounds like a sure fire recipe for a championship.

:facepalm:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rivals - 14th. The only one that's actually respected. And yes, let's just sign QBs and have them play with one or two hands down, sounds like a sure fire recipe for a championship.

:facepalm:
We can just let them GROW into DTs, Durty. What is wrong with you? We don't need to sign DTs, we will just grow them.

Instigator has overdosed on Pumper Koolaid.

Last edited:

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
How is this always a topic? The answer is yes.
Of course. According to latest Saban biography, he told the Bama AD that he wasn't the best coach around but he was the best recruiter. Obviously, it's even more important to be a great coach but it's like comparing a great heavy weight against a great light heavyweight. The heavy weight is going to win. It's going to take both to compete with Bama and the other heavy weights.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Please tell me about all the Life Championships Boise has won.

We're not a midmajor who only needs enough depth to play one or zero ranked teams in the season and pull off one surprise victory over a P5 team that is mad about missing a playoff game.
Point is, he is doing it again at Washington... Duh

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Gonna throw this out here. I used to read the columns about recruiting and remember great classes and great recruits for US and fswho and saw almost entire classes of "top recruits" bomb, drop out, transfer and/or underachieve............after awhile I said i will judge a recruiting class around year 3.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
The Gators had two players selected to the SEC All Freshman team.

3 Star Jawaan Taylor and 3 star Jabari Zuniga

Again, I'm not saying that stars or rankings don't matter. Just pointing out that last years class may turn out to be better than it's ranking.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
well, they were forced to play a whole lot more than most freshman... sooo.....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Gators had two players selected to the SEC All Freshman team.

3 Star Jawaan Taylor and 3 star Jabari Zuniga

Again, I'm not saying that stars or rankings don't matter. Just pointing out that last years class may turn out to be better than it's ranking.

Yep Taylor did pretty good for a true freshman and didn't really start getting picked on much until the FSU and Bama games but they had top talent going against him.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, with how many 3* players we have playing significant minutes on this team, how can you not have a couple that end up pretty good? I really don't understand why two 3*s making the freshman team and 2 or 3 more making 2nd or 3rd team SEC is that big of a deal. Wake me up when we start having 3-5 first teamers on both sides of the SEC roster like we did basically every year for like.... forever.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Lets ask this question, does the NFL draft matter to the NFL teams? Ask Cleveland and the 89 Cowboys.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is really not a hard concept. There will be occasional teams that make it to the top 5 without top talent. However we have yet to see a national champion in the last 2 decades who did not have great recruiting classes. To consistently vie for championships you must have talent.

On the flip side, having great recruiting classes does not guarantee success. If the players don't match your scheme or fill your needs then they won't be that productive.

I have no idea why this is even a question in this day and age of college football.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We need some top 10 classes, plain and simple. But its also how you develop the players too. We have had plenty of 5 star guys that never panned out. James Wilson, Deonte Thompson, John Brantly, Gary Brown, Andre Debose, Josh Shaw, and Jeff Driskel were all 5 star recruits and they didn't exactly pan out. Recruiting can be a crap shoot. We have had plenty of 3 star guys that develop nicely and become stars like Sturgis and Ahmad Black. BUT we need those top recruits to compete and be in the top 10 consistently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.