Founding Member
popcorn600.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Now come on, man. That other thread got hijacked. This is your chance to make it clear once and for all where you stand on this issue. Because we're all still confused about that.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n139382 said:
Now come on, man. That other thread got hijacked. This is your chance to make it clear once and for all where you stand on this issue. Because we're all still confused about that.

Thanks to the Dynamic Dou, who despite being proven wrong on numerous occasions continue to bring it up and hi hack otherwise good threads. However here you go. http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I heard once you put a redshirt on a kid, he cant play that year.

And that Jeff Duhriskel only looks good when wearing a redshirt.

Im wearing a redshirt right now and faking an injury to fool my boss. Its under my pimpin azz fur coat.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorSkin;n139359 said:
Wrong
Old man Debose had two medical red shirts.
You have to have two years with debilitating injuries to qualify for a 6th year.
I can't believe your on the wrong side of a red shirt argument with CH
I guarantee you they used a regular redshirt on him his freshman year. The only reason you even need a medical redshirt is because you've already used your normal one. Say you play your true freshman season. You then proceed to play the next two years. Your senior season comes along and you tear your ACL during preseason camp. That's ok, you still have a 5th year to get your eligibility used up, so you don't even need a medical hardship waiver since you haven't played a single play during the season. You wouldn't need to petition the NCAA for another year of eligibility because they automatically give you 5 seasons for you to use up your 4 seasons of eligibility. Had you torn it during a game, that's when you would need the hardship waiver, because by playing during a game, your eligibility for that season would have been used up. Debose didn't play a down during 2009, so he didn't need the hardship waiver.

In Debose's case, he was still guaranteed 4 more years after his freshman season no matter what, so he didn't need to file for a medical hardship. He wasn't going to get a 6th year until he tore his ACL in his 5th season. Now it's possible when he petitioned the NCAA for a 6th season, he told them he was injured his freshman season, but there was no need for the actual medical hardship waiver for that year. McGee won't have any issues getting his 6th year, either, regardless if he was "injured" his freshman season or not. Hell, it's pretty obvious the team expects McGee back next year, because they didn't even include him in the senior day ceremony.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n139418 said:
I guarantee you they used a regular redshirt on him his freshman year. The only reason you even need a medical redshirt is because you've already used your normal one. Say you play your true freshman season. You then proceed to play the next two years. Your senior season comes along and you tear your ACL during preseason camp. That's ok, you still have a 5th year to get your eligibility used up, so you don't even need a medical hardship waiver since you haven't played a single play during the season. You wouldn't need to petition the NCAA for another year of eligibility because they automatically give you 5 seasons for you to use up your 4 seasons of eligibility. Had you torn it during a game, that's when you would need the hardship waiver, because by playing during a game, your eligibility for that season would have been used up. Debose didn't play a down during 2009, so he didn't need the hardship waiver.

In Debose's case, he was still guaranteed 4 more years after his freshman season no matter what, so he didn't need to file for a medical hardship. He wasn't going to get a 6th year until he tore his ACL in his 5th season. Now it's possible when he petitioned the NCAA for a 6th season, he told them he was injured his freshman season, but there was no need for the actual medical hardship waiver for that year. McGee won't have any issues getting his 6th year, either, regardless if he was "injured" his freshman season or not. Hell, it's pretty obvious the team expects McGee back next year, because they didn't even include him in the senior day ceremony.

Debose would not have gotten a 6th year if he had not been injured for two seasons.
And McGee probably won't get a 6th year.
You can't sit 1 year for no reason and get a 6th year. Look up the rules and stop making me agree with CH damn it.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorSkin;n139464 said:
Debose would not have gotten a 6th year if he had not been injured for two seasons.
And McGee probably won't get a 6th year.
You can't sit 1 year for no reason and get a 6th year. Look up the rules and stop making me agree with CH damn it.

The whole point of the 6th year is to give you one more year that you lost because of being injured. You get 5 years to complete 4. If that gets messed up because of an injury, more often than not, the NCAA will give you one more year. I'd be utterly shocked if McGee wasn't granted a 6th year.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n139472 said:
The whole point of the 6th year is to give you one more year that you lost because of being injured. You get 5 years to complete 4. If that gets messed up because of an injury, more often than not, the NCAA will give you one more year. I'd be utterly shocked if McGee wasn't granted a 6th year.

Why he's already had 5 years to complete 4 and was not injured when he took a redshirt at Virginia what qualifies him for a 6th year?
I hope he does get a 6th year but I don't see any way he can. Unless the NCAA just decides to bend the rules for us.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorSkin;139487 said:
Why he's already had 5 years to complete 4 and was not injured when he took a redshirt at Virginia what qualifies him for a 6th year?
I hope he does get a 6th year but I don't see any way he can. Unless the NCAA just decides to bend the rules for us.
The fact that he suffered a season-ending injury in the first game of 2014 (his 5th season) qualifies him for a medical hardship waiver, which means he should get a 6th year. Which is the point I've apparently failed to make. :facepalm:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n139472 said:

The whole point is if he had a prior medical redshirt, otherwise known as a medical hardship waiver he would be (99%) assured of another year. If he had not played at all this past season then he probably would have gotten it anyway. I hope he gets it since he only played about 1 quarter.
For the very last time, this is the reason that I said it would be beneficial for Will Grier to take a medical hardship waiver since UF list him as injured half way through the year.
Thanks for making a thread out of this Ox.....I hope this finally clears my name from any misunderstanding of a thread from 2 months ago.:woohoo::headshake:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So you and Sasquatch 100% agree on this? I just want it to be clear that's the case.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n139489 said:
The fact that he suffered a season-ending injury in the first game of 2014 (his 5th season) qualifies him for a medical hardship waiver, which means he should get a 6th year. Which is the point I've apparently failed to make. :facepalm:

He was physically able to play for 4 years and used a redshirt to get a 5th year the fact that he was hurt in the first game of his 5th year doesn't change the fact that he was able to play 4 years.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n139490 said:
The whole point is if he had a prior medical redshirt, otherwise known as a medical hardship waiver he would be (99%) assured of another year. If he had not played at all this past season then he probably would have gotten it anyway. I hope he gets it since he only played about 1 quarter.
For the very last time, this is the reason that I said it would be beneficial for Will Grier to take a medical hardship waiver since UF list him as injured half way through the year.
Thanks for making a thread out of this Ox.....I hope this finally clears my name from any misunderstanding of a thread from 2 months ago.:woohoo::headshake:

Grier would not be eligible for a medical hardship without a season ending injury.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorSkin;n139492 said:
He was physically able to play for 4 years and used a redshirt to get a 5th year the fact that he was hurt in the first game of his 5th year doesn't change the fact that he was able to play 4 years.

Whether he was physically able to play his redshirt season or not is immaterial. That year doesn't exist as far as the NCAA is concerned.

Deathroll

Dec 28, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n139418 said:

I'm certainly no expert on the matter and basically agree with the above. However, my understanding is that once you reach the 5 years to play 4 the NCAA will not allow the sixth year just because you were injured for one year. If you have used a regular redshirt then you have to prove that you couldn't compete that year (regular redshirt year) due to circumstances out of your control, such as an injury. If you redshirt just to get stronger, wait, etc. then when you petition for the 6th year you likely won't be approved.

In Debose's case he did use a regular redshirt as at the time no one could foresee the second injury. However, in his petition for the 6th year he was able to show that he was unable to compete due to injury for the redhirt year, and was thus granted an extra year. In McGee's case I don't think there was any injury that I am aware of that prevented him from competing his freshmen season. However, there may have been some factors that we are unaware of. I for one certainly hope he gets it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n139491 said:
So you and Sasquatch 100% agree on this? I just want it to be clear that's the case.

No.....And if I agreed with him he would probably change his mind to try and make me look like an ass anyway. Why would I need any help from him with that.....That's your job and you do a mighty fine job at it;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.