So Penn State......

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like it right where its at. Give conference winners (power 5) preference as long as losses are equal.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No matter what system will be in place there will always be controversy. I am not a fan of the current system as it was a BS excuse because all of the whiners about the SEC dominating the BCS. Hey news flash BSPN......Your ANALysts are still sitting there talking about who got left out blah, blah, blah. But unless something happens Bamuh is fixing to take the next one and that'll be 2 out of 3. It all boils down to $$, whining, and popularity for the most part. IMO it was there way to try and get another winner other than the SEC.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
...You, like most sports fans, are under the delusion that the point here is to figure out who is the "best" team. Its not.

Ummm..it is exactly what they are chartered to do. This is the first question on the playoff committee website Q&A:

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-faqs said:
What is the mission of the selection committee?
The committee’s task is to select the best teams, rank the teams for inclusion in the playoff and selected other bowl games and then assign the teams to bowl sites.

I saw an interview with the chairman of the committee, and he specifically said that when forming the selection methods, they debated a system similar to what you described, but ultimately chose to NOT make conference championship the definitive criteria...just one of the factors to consider when choosing the "best" teams.

I'm not arguing for or against, but the committee's job - as defined by their charter - was to try to pick the 4 "best" teams.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
The more teams you add to the playoffs, the more watered down the season gets. Hell, Wisconsin would have made the playoffs with 3 losses this year if it had been 8 teams. You really want a 3-loss team with a chance to win it all? Why do you think the regular season is almost an afterthought in CBB?

I'd rather have a team that lost 3 games to top 10 ranked teams than an undefeated team that didn't play anyone in the top 50.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ummm..it is exactly what they are chartered to do. This is the first question on the playoff committee website Q&A:

I saw an interview with the chairman of the committee, and he specifically said that when forming the selection methods, they debated a system similar to what you described, but ultimately chose to NOT make conference championship the definitive criteria...just one of the factors to consider when choosing the "best" teams.

I'm not arguing for or against, but the committee's job - as defined by their charter - was to try to pick the 4 "best" teams.
My argument isn't that they are going against their charter. I just disagree with the system because I think the basic philosophy of it (trying to subjectively determine the "best" team) is flawed. This deal with PSU and OSU is a perfect example. PSU beat OSU and won the conference. This happened on the field. Yet because some humans subjectively think that OSU is a "better" team, they get to go get destroyed on prime time national TV instead of the champs that beat them. BTW, I wonder if PSU had started the season ranked in the top 5 while OSU had started the season unranked (instead of the other way around) if the final rankings would still have OSU 3 and PSU 5. Hmmmm.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My argument isn't that they are going against their charter. I just disagree with the system because I think the basic philosophy of it (trying to subjectively determine the "best" team) is flawed. This deal with PSU and OSU is a perfect example. PSU beat OSU and won the conference. This happened on the field. Yet because some humans subjectively think that OSU is a "better" team, they get to go get destroyed on prime time national TV instead of the champs that beat them. BTW, I wonder if PSU had started the season ranked in the top 5 while OSU had started the season unranked (instead of the other way around) if the final rankings would still have OSU 3 and PSU 5. Hmmmm.
I bet if PSU finished with one loss instead of two, they would have been ranked #3.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
That scenario has never happened and won't ever happen.

No, it won't happen. I'm just giving my preference. The committee approach to selecting playoff teams gets politicized. I still say the best solution is to allow five Power 5 champs and three committee selected teams into an 8 team playoff will avoid a lot of the controversy. There will always be disagreements. There are bubble team arguments in basketball with 66 playoff spots. At least this way teams know what they are playing for. After the selection let them be seeded according to rank of which is "best."

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I've read on this board several times including ox saying Franklin took over a dumpter fire death penalty situation but the truth is Bill O'Brian had that program on more than solid ground.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
1. So what
2. So what
3. No one there had anything to do with JoPa or Sandusky. Maybe they should just shut down the whole school and bulldoze all the buildings to the ground and give it back to the indians.

Penn State won the conference. That is all that matters. Any and all blather about who is the "better team" is just that...blather. There is no such thing a proving who is the better team. Any team can beat any other team on any given day. You can't even prove that the Patriots are better than your local high school team even though we know that they most certainly are better. The only thing that matters is the results of the games played within a system. The only system that matters is that when the math is done at the end of the season, one team in the conference champion and everyone else is not. Its no different than NFL playoffs or any other playoff format. There are teams with blemishes that make it to the dance and there are "better" teams who don't make it to the dance. It isn't wrong that it happens, it is exactly the way it should be. This beauty contest crap where dudes sit around and say "well they lost on the road to them but these guys lost at home to them blah blah blah" is nothing short of gymnastic judge style point bull****. Win the conference championship and advance to the playoffs. Simple system, easy to understand, makes the whole season meaningful and exciting.

The same people that can't understand this can't understand the electoral college either.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather have a team that lost 3 games to top 10 ranked teams than an undefeated team that didn't play anyone in the top 50.
Unfortunately, lower conference teams can't always pick and choose their schedule. They play who is in their conference with similar to equal talent. Why not let them in instead of an ACC team, like FSU for example, that loses to 3 ranked top 10 teams? It's easy to imagine FSU losing to Florida, Clemson and Miami in the same year, all of which could be top 10 teams, and win out to the rest of their sorry conference. You pick them over Western Michigan?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So Penn State just lost a shoot-out, 52-49...... Interesting game but doesn't give PS the validation they wanted!

Big1 is terribly over-rated!

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
That was a heck of a game. Refs made several terrible calls that went against USC and the Trojans still pulled it out.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
That scenario has never happened and won't ever happen.
Actually, in 1984 ( i think) East Carolina was 9-3 losing only to UF, fsu and um by like a total of 12 or less points. They didnt go to a bowl but they were a bad azzz team that only lost to three top ten teams.......

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I like it right where its at. Give conference winners (power 5) preference as long as losses are equal.

This is in place currently. Conference champs get the benefit of the doubt when all else is equal

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, in 1984 ( i think) East Carolina was 9-3 losing only to UF, fsu and um by like a total of 12 or less points. They didnt go to a bowl but they were a bad azzz team that only lost to three top ten teams.......
I'm talking about an undefeated team who played nothing but cupcakes all year making the NC game. The Western Michigans and Boises of the world will never get a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.