So, to all the brain surgeons who thought we didn't need Idaho.......

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n49760 said:
J, all sorts of people were saying "so what, it's just a useless game". If you look at the 2 plays that made this game close it was 2 mistakes by our secondary(inexperienced safeties) I would almost guarantee you if we could go back in time and squeeze Idaho in as a 1st game we win this going away, no question in my mind.

So you think Idaho fixes Driskel's issues which have been with him since day one ?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We might need that Idaho win to make a bowl

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever said:
J, all sorts of people were saying "so what, it's just a useless game". If you look at the 2 plays that made this game close it was 2 mistakes by our secondary(inexperienced safeties) I would almost guarantee you if we could go back in time and squeeze Idaho in as a 1st game we win this going away, no question in my mind.

So you think Idaho fixes Driskel's issues which have been with him since day one ?
Not completely Fever, but don't throw all this on Driskel. He made 2 or 3 bad plays......he didn't drop 5 1st down catches either !!!!! He also didn't blow 2 coverages that made this a game in the 1st place....or drop 3 easy interceptions. Football......it's a TEAM sport.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We're going to need that Idaho game to become bowl eligible....

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We definitely needed that game. We have a lot of young players on Defense and there inexperience showed.

If we had played that game maybe Roper would have known Driskel can't throw the deep ball.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorSkin;n49855 said:
We definitely needed that game. We have a lot of young players on Defense and there inexperience showed.

If we had played that game maybe Roper would have known Driskel can't throw the deep ball.

He (Roper) might also know that Driskel needs to keep on the read at least 5 or 6 times a game.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
QB at this level is a complex position. Some get it, and the team plays with and for him because they know he gets it. Others don't get it, and the team plays like they have a QB who doesn't get it. We are the latter...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n49836 said:
We're going to need that Idaho game to become bowl eligible....

Well in that case I guess we definitely needed that game.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel just hasn't progressed. The OL, OCs and lack of playmakers have all contributed to it. He finally has an OC and some playmakers. The OL still looks like a weak link, but he needs to step up this year if we aren't going to have a repeat of last year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n49650 said:
What do you think now ? How much did the lack of game reps and game experience hurt us IYO ?

Playing Idaho wouldn't have made Jeff Driskel play like anyone but Jeff Driskel, nor would it make Mary Tyler Moore and Trip Thurman look any better.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
T REX said:
Idaho reps doesn't cure what's wrong with this team. It is much deeper. Four years in and...geez...what's the point...nevermind...
Yes, Idaho wouldn't have helped JD. Speaking of brain surgeons, that's what JD needs, figuratively speaking. He doesn't have the mental capability (and I'm not speaking of intelligence). He can't think on his feet. He certainly has no touch on the deep throws which eliminates the deep threat. On those so called "read options" I'm not so sure he's not supposed to hand off. If he actually had the option, he is woefully unprepared and indecisive. And what happened to the "hurry up"? I could go on but what's the use.

For those of you that really want to hope -- you better hope that Kentucky is a much better team.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
GatorSkin;n49855 said:

He (Roper) might also know that Driskel needs to keep on the read at least 5 or 6 times a game.
Concrete, JD's mistakes are much different than blown coverage by a young secondary. He's been here 4 years and he simply makes colossal blunders. He makes CRITCAL mistakes. You brought up the brain surgeon. What if you had a surgeon who made the kind of untimely mistakes that JD makes? Dead people. JD is basically inept. He has horrible football instincts. He's an athlete lacking good instincts in the most "instinct necessary" position on the team. All his good plays are constantly undermined by blunders and lack of play making ability. He looks like a Keystone Kop out there at times.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n50053 said:
Playing Idaho wouldn't have made Jeff Driskel play like anyone but Jeff Driskel, nor would it make Mary Tyler Moore and Trip Thurman look any better.

I'm a big JD fan and always have been. But even I could see in the spring game and EMU game that there are some things that he will always be limited at. He will probably always make 2 or 3 bad plays a game for the rest of his time here. I'm convinced of this. My point is that maybe a blowout win over Idaho gives the coaches even a better look at Harris, or helps the secondary with communication or player rotation. Maybe they find another guard to rotate with Moore and Thurman, maybe Pittman isn't starting at slot and so on......These are the things that only game time reps tell you. By the way, Driskel did throw the game winning TD, right ?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Truthers gonna truth...pumpers gonna pump.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n50227 said:
I'm a big JD fan and always have been. But even I could see in the spring game and EMU game that there are some things that he will always be limited at. He will probably always make 2 or 3 bad plays a game for the rest of his time here. I'm convinced of this. My point is that maybe a blowout win over Idaho gives the coaches even a better look at Harris, or helps the secondary with communication or player rotation. Maybe they find another guard to rotate with Moore and Thurman, maybe Pittman isn't starting at slot and so on......These are the things that only game time reps tell you. By the way, Driskel did throw the game winning TD, right ?

Yes he did. Driskel did some nice things in the second half and in OT, but the problem is we should have never needed them to squeak out a win. We should have blown the game wide open in the first half after holding them to only 3 points. We won't be able to get into a shooting match in order to win against the vast majority of our opponents moving forward.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator said:
Concrete Helmet;n50227 said:

Yes he did. Driskel did some nice things in the second half and in OT, but the problem is we should have never needed them to squeak out a win. We should have blown the game wide open in the first half after holding them to only 3 points. We won't be able to get into a shooting match in order to win against the vast majority of our opponents moving forward.
I agree. My biggest point with this thread is that we are still evaluating which players should be on the field more than others and who is a better fit in certain situations. We certainly should have had this game won no later than the beginning of the 4th quarter. If you go back and watch, the 3 drops, boneheaded interception by Driskel, bad calls by the officials and red zone play calling in the 1st half kept this from happening IMO.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:

Helmet speaks truth. Jeff was a little heavy handed tonight on the long balls, but he played well enough to win the game for us. It was Brian Poole and Keanu Neal getting abused by a Ky receiver all night that allowed the game to be so infuriatingly close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator