So where are the deficiencies in the 2018 football team?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I keep saying 10 wins should be the minimum acceptable performance for the 2018 season given the schedule etc. Lots of other people around here scoff at that saying not with this roster. So my question is QB ASIDE where are the weaknesses on this roster. (QB has been discussed ad infinitum so I want to hear about the rest of the roster.)

My general impression is:

1. UF has really good RBs with and if Davis gets healthy would be among the best around.

2. UF has good WRs with Cleveland and Toney if he can stay healthy proven at UF, Jefferson proven in the SEC and Hammonds and Massey with some experience at UF. Grimes is an unknown who came out with a bunch of stars but did little in his year at Ohio St.

3. UF has an experienced talented OL with McCoy, Ivey, Taylor, Heggie, F.Johnson and Jordan and the potential for more depth from transfers, RFROSH etc.

4. UF has some experienced TEs in Lewis and Stephens.

5. UF has good experienced young CBs in Wilson and Henderson. UF has Gardner-Johnson and J. Taylor for the S spots. Some other young guys played so UF has some depth.

6. UF has good LB where UF returns Reese, Joseph and Moon plus some backup guys with experience. LB depth hurt last year, but should be better this year.

7. At is solid at DL where UF returns Jefferson at one DE and has Clark, Slaton, Dunlap and Zuniga for the other two positions.

Sure these defensive players are playing a "different" defense, but that is alignment and defense is as much read and react. Sure like everyone else in the country UF could use more depth particularly quality depth. And of course UF must establish a new punter and place kicker this fall.

Still what is wrong with this roster. I know many times during the Spurrier years, UF had a roster that looked much like this or had clear holes and I fully expected UF to wiin 10+ games and UF always did.

So again I DO NOT want to hear about the position that is NOT to be mentioned on this thread. Other than that position what do you feel are the weaknesses of this roster that makes my analysis, that if UF hired the right coach he should win 10 games this year, wrong?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
O line

Experience is irrelevant. They simply aren't very good as a unit.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Based on what we saw last year, I would say we have to get 8 or 9 wins and the offense has to be much better. Can't be ranked in the 100s again. With a new coaching staff, we have no idea what this team is going to actually look like so most are cautiously optimistic. Only time will tell and this case the first game is not until September. For now, In Mullen we Trust. Go Gators!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our "Not Deficiencies" are RB, DL, and CB.

Our deficiencies are everything else.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Your whole post lacks credibility when you call our OL talented. And again, who cares how much talent you have at RB and WR when you can’t block and have no one to pass the ball?
For about the 3rd time, your 10 win minimum is unrealistic.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Still what is wrong with this roster. I know many times during the Spurrier years, UF had a roster that looked much like this or had clear holes
This is nuts, but you seem to so invested in your "Butters was a great recruiter", ""Butters finding diamonds in the rough" and "there is no difference between a #19 class and a top one" that you just feel compelled to keep trying to convince someone.

Is anyone buying?

Never in recent history did we have a roster full of trash we stole from FAU, FIU and Houston Baptist, never. Not even in 1979. Not during probation, never.

There are two maybe three OL on this team that would make the roster (not depth chart) on other SEC teams.

WR? We have some bluechippers. Theyve done nothing. Most look worse than when they got here skillwise.

LBs? Seriously? We should cut them all and start over. All are either way too damn slow or safety sized.

Safeties.....I dont even want to think about it.

TEs, whatever. Just like Butters they do nothing well.

OurProgramIsBroken

Oct 29, 2017
I keep saying 10 wins should be the minimum acceptable performance for the 2018 season given the schedule etc. Lots of other people around here scoff at that saying not with this roster. So my question is QB ASIDE where are the weaknesses on this roster. (QB has been discussed ad infinitum so I want to hear about the rest of the roster.)

My general impression is:

1. UF has really good RBs with and if Davis gets healthy would be among the best around.

2. UF has good WRs with Cleveland and Toney if he can stay healthy proven at UF, Jefferson proven in the SEC and Hammonds and Massey with some experience at UF. Grimes is an unknown who came out with a bunch of stars but did little in his year at Ohio St.

3. UF has an experienced talented OL with McCoy, Ivey, Taylor, Heggie, F.Johnson and Jordan and the potential for more depth from transfers, RFROSH etc.

4. UF has some experienced TEs in Lewis and Stephens.

5. UF has good experienced young CBs in Wilson and Henderson. UF has Gardner-Johnson and J. Taylor for the S spots. Some other young guys played so UF has some depth.

6. UF has good LB where UF returns Reese, Joseph and Moon plus some backup guys with experience. LB depth hurt last year, but should be better this year.

7. At is solid at DL where UF returns Jefferson at one DE and has Clark, Slaton, Dunlap and Zuniga for the other two positions.

Sure these defensive players are playing a "different" defense, but that is alignment and defense is as much read and react. Sure like everyone else in the country UF could use more depth particularly quality depth. And of course UF must establish a new punter and place kicker this fall.

Still what is wrong with this roster. I know many times during the Spurrier years, UF had a roster that looked much like this or had clear holes and I fully expected UF to wiin 10+ games and UF always did.

So again I DO NOT want to hear about the position that is NOT to be mentioned on this thread. Other than that position what do you feel are the weaknesses of this roster that makes my analysis, that if UF hired the right coach he should win 10 games this year, wrong?
:drunk:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Our "Not Deficiencies" are RB, DL, and CB.

Our deficiencies are everything else.

Interesting, I do not mean this sarcastically at all. You were quite worried about DL a year ago, so I guess you feel that the transfer, recruits and player development solved that?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting, I do not mean this sarcastically at all. You were quite worried about DL a year ago, so I guess you feel that the transfer, recruits and player development solved that?
Yeah, the three freshmen DTs are going to fix the problems weve had inside since 2012. Nice beef there and a couple of transfers too. We DO need to keep adding 2-3 each year or we will be right back in the soft up front situation in a year once 2 or the 3 leave early.

Unless, of course, we "develop them" and make them look worse than they did as true freshmen. I dont think so. This one gap defense will be much easier on them.... and much harder on the LBs.

I just read your comments, Jefferson is gone but he wasnt playing DE regardless (and never was DE sized).

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Injuries will happen .....book it. We are thin everywhere except RB and are devoid of SEC talent at many positions even before injuries, LB and TE being prime examples just offhand.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Your whole post lacks credibility when you call our OL talented. And again, who cares how much talent you have at RB and WR when you can’t block and have no one to pass the ball?
For about the 3rd time, your 10 win minimum is unrealistic.

So you do not have an answer as to where you think the roster is deficient? I did not ask who thinks my opinion is realistic. (BTW, I am not saying that UF will win 10 games this year, I keep saying that if UF doesn't UF hired the wrong guy.) I am asking for where the roster is deficient, other than in one position that has been discussed ad infinitum.

You possibly are indicating OL. Well talent around here seems to equal recruiting ranking and really with OL all you can really look at is recruiting ranking and size. All of UF's guys seems to have reasonable size to be OL in the SEC. Three of the 6 guys I mentioned were rated in the top 10 nationally at their position as recruits. Four of the six guys were ranked 21 or better at their position.

One thing you may not have noticed is that in recruiting guard prospect and particularly center prospects do not get as many stars at tackles, but you must play guards and centers. UF's OL rotation has several guys listed a center prospects and you can argue one way or another about their rankings, but they were ranked pretty highly at that position.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Injuries will happen .....book it. We are thin everywhere except RB and are devoid of SEC talent at many positions even before injuries, LB and TE being prime examples just offhand.

So Reese is not an SEC talent? The same with Joseph and Moon?

I do agree with you about the depth issue, but that is often true in college football.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Insti, there was many good to great coaches who wont win 10 w this roster.

Hell, Creyer didn't win 10 games in his first year with a roster that had 3 times the number of blue chippers.

I will add that WR talent doesnt bother me, I just dont think it will matter.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Moon isnt good isnt good and wont be on the field I hope now that we are moving the little defensive ends to their natural position. He is horrible at setting the edge and that is critical in this new scheme. The DEs did it (tried anyway... you saw how bad we were against basic sweeps) last year.

Reese (older) is depth at best on a good team. He is useless in pass coverage. We're going to see that much more in this new defense. We hid him a bunch last year in zone.

Last edited:

OurProgramIsBroken

Oct 29, 2017

I do agree with you about the depth issue, but that is often true in college football.
The answer to your question is simple, NO. All three are back ups at best, but with the outstanding recruiting we've had at that position we have no choice but to play them

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The answer to your question is simple, NO. All three are back ups at best, but with the outstanding recruiting we've had at that position we have no choice but to play them

ding ding ding. winner winner, chicken dinner. Of the LB's we have seen on the field during an SEC game, only Kylan Johnson is close to being a marginal SEC LB and he can;t stay healthy. Reese is serviceable in a 2X2 space. Joseph is slow and slow to react although he knows where he is suppossed to be it just takes him too long to get there, Moon impressed me zero and I think would have a better chance as a DE. Jackson if he is still on the roster is NAIA talent. Similar to the OL, we have some experience, but our returning LB's that have played are awful, even worse than the OL, and that is saying a lot!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So you do not have an answer as to where you think the roster is deficient? I did not ask who thinks my opinion is realistic. (BTW, I am not saying that UF will win 10 games this year, I keep saying that if UF doesn't UF hired the wrong guy.) I am asking for where the roster is deficient, other than in one position that has been discussed ad infinitum.

You possibly are indicating OL. Well talent around here seems to equal recruiting ranking and really with OL all you can really look at is recruiting ranking and size. All of UF's guys seems to have reasonable size to be OL in the SEC. Three of the 6 guys I mentioned were rated in the top 10 nationally at their position as recruits. Four of the six guys were ranked 21 or better at their position.

One thing you may not have noticed is that in recruiting guard prospect and particularly center prospects do not get as many stars at tackles, but you must play guards and centers. UF's OL rotation has several guys listed a center prospects and you can argue one way or another about their rankings, but they were ranked pretty highly at that position.
Our roster sucks. It’s gotten progressively worse the last 8 years. How fckin hard is that to understand? Your idiotic statement of “if we don’t win 10 games then we hired the wrong guy” is just that...idiotic. :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.