So where are the deficiencies in the 2018 football team?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
5. You raise an interesting point about strength and conditioning, but that in fact can be changed a great deal in one off season, if it was even a problem.

There are a lot of arguments you've made that are silly, but this statement makes me think you either have no idea what you're talking about or you're just trolling. It is a well known fact that strength and conditioning was disastrous under Butters. There's no if.

And while there will be improvement from last year to this year simply because they are competently using a weight room for the first time, I don't know how big a difference one year will be. Hopefully it will be noticeable. I'm sick of our O-line playing with the size and strength of a D3 line.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
There are a lot of arguments you've made that are silly, but this statement makes me think you either have no idea what you're talking about or you're just trolling. It is a well known fact that strength and conditioning was disastrous under Butters. There's no if.

And while there will be improvement from last year to this year simply because they are competently using a weight room for the first time, I don't know how big a difference one year will be. Hopefully it will be noticeable. I'm sick of our O-line playing with the size and strength of a D3 line.

Of course there is an IF. UF has had 20 players picked in the NFL draft the last 3 drafts. From this group 6 we DL and OL. Others were also strength positions like LBs and DBs. You can certainly get out of shape in one year. The NFL did not draft 19 (take away the punter) out of shape weak players from UF the last 3 seasons when the McElwain strength and conditioning program was in effect.

The above is secondary information to me. The first reason to scoff at what everyone knows is that everyone knew when how much stronger UF would get when Meyer took over, when Muschamp took over, when McElwain took over, when Mullen took over ... You hear this all the time when there is a coaching change. It is often pure BS and no ex-players piling on their coach does not impress me either.

But you can take the well traveled road of conventional wisdom and believe that the new coach is going to get the boys in much better shape. I guess they will be drafted in the next NFL draft.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Of course there is an IF. UF has had 20 players picked in the NFL draft the last 3 drafts. From this group 6 we DL and OL. Others were also strength positions like LBs and DBs. You can certainly get out of shape in one year. The NFL did not draft 19 (take away the punter) out of shape weak players from UF the last 3 seasons when the McElwain strength and conditioning program was in effect.

The above is secondary information to me. The first reason to scoff at what everyone knows is that everyone knew when how much stronger UF would get when Meyer took over, when Muschamp took over, when McElwain took over, when Mullen took over ... You hear this all the time when there is a coaching change. It is often pure BS and no ex-players piling on their coach does not impress me either.

But you can take the well traveled road of conventional wisdom and believe that the new coach is going to get the boys in much better shape. I guess they will be drafted in the next NFL draft.
The nfl drafts on measureables, potential, and then production. Their S&C programs can more than make up for a college program that’s lacking.

I don’t remember the S&C discussion like you do. After Meyer, people were excited to see what an Olympic style program could produce - not that Urbs program was lacking. When Muschamp was fired, most were hoping the new program would limit the injuries that seemed to pile up under Muschamp - not that our players were weak. Only after Mac was fired have I heard the “weak” players complaint - which is corroborated by several players in interviews.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This whole disaster of a thread should be flushed. It isnt even dungeon worthy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Then why did you bring it up?

What I brought up was that you like to imply that you're an "old" Gator fan so therefore you know better than us "younger" Gators. I pointed that out to the most recent victim of your backhanded insult. It's your schtick. That's all, pops!

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Several players and even the AD have admitted that the S&C program was a problem. You're obviously just trolling. Your trying to live up to your name by Instigating controversy.

:boo:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I remember Wahoo McDaniel! Shula came in 1970 and went 10-4 and it was on to bigger things from there.

Fun fact: I filmed a United Way commercial for the NFL with Larry Csonka on Florida Field with a group of Alachua County Pop Warner football players. The kids (this was the 80’s) didn’t even know who he was.

Did you see Wahoo on Championship Wrestling from Florida? That was his second job. I also remember their previous coach saying anybody could have improved the team, I forget the name he used. Great memories. Sort of like some Gator memories from the Tebow era.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Did you see Wahoo on Championship Wrestling from Florida? That was his second job. I also remember their previous coach saying anybody could have improved the team, I forget the name he used. Great memories. Sort of like some Gator memories from the Tebow era.

Yeah I saw Wahoo wrestle. Wore the Indian headgear. George Wilson was the Dolphins first head coach.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think O line and LB are huge issues as far as facing the top SEC teams go. Yes we may have 3 O linemen that will be decent in the run game but the others will get blown up quite a bit breaking up developing plays. And of those 3 at least one doesn't have the reaction time to hold up against good DEs when we pass the ball.

As far as LBs I don't think we even have one Rivals blue chip recruit on the roster except for the true freshman who needs to bulk up for a year probably. I don't think Mack got one blue chip LB recruit the whole time he was here. They are nowhere near top SEC talent level I think.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As they typically do after a coaching change.
Link? Show me a link of an AD questioning S&C.

Your manlove Butterteeth will neber get another hc job. Im sorry to break the news to you.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yes we may have 3 O linemen that will be decent in the run game but the others will get blown up quite a bit breaking up developing plays.

I have been thinking about this criticism recently and wondered who was blocking when Malik Davis was running with the ball at a 6.7 yards per carry clip last year? Now maybe Davis was coming in most games with fresh legs? I guess that might be the case against UTn, but I think for many other games he was in pretty early. So did UF have a different set of guys blocking for Davis or where there perhaps holes there that other backs missed?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is no doubt in my mind instigator has never slid a helmet on his head even once.

To watch our football games, watching DL pancake or blowby our OL, on nearly every play, and come up with the hypothesis that the OL is good and getting a bad rap is utterly incomprehensible.

And yet he posts and posts and babbles and babbles.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
There is no doubt in my mind instigator has never slid a helmet on his head even once.

To watch our football games, watching DL pancake or blowby our OL, on nearly every play, and come up with the hypothesis that the OL is good and getting a bad rap is utterly incomprehensible.

And yet he posts and posts and babbles and babbles.

So who do you think was blocking for Malik Davis last year? Do you think my conjecture about fresh legs is the story? Or do you not have anything to contribute as usual?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So who do you think was blocking for Malik Davis last year? Do you think my conjecture about fresh legs is the story? Or do you not have anything to contribute as usual?
I think youre a toolbag. Youre to the point of earning a block.

Your ignorant persistence is unbearable, and neither your ignorance nor your persistence outshines the other.

The hilarious part is you appear to have deluded yourself into believing you know something about football.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have been thinking about this criticism recently and wondered who was blocking when Malik Davis was running with the ball at a 6.7 yards per carry clip last year? Now maybe Davis was coming in most games with fresh legs? I guess that might be the case against UTn, but I think for many other games he was in pretty early. So did UF have a different set of guys blocking for Davis or where there perhaps holes there that other backs missed?

Davis had a much better feel and ability for finding the quick openings than our other backs did.

It won't matter much when we play the top defenses in the league probably due to our O line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.