Someone other than Harris needs to start next week - PERIOD

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think you guys have tumbled to what is going. Mac has not been playing for this season for months, maybe all season. He will not adjust his system for Treon because this season is actually an embarrassment to him. He keeps or loses his job based on what happens in season three. Winning now makes showing improvement harder. Not saying he is playing to lose, but... Check the last half dozen games. Substitutions, times out, plays, have consistently broken the rhythm, and been geared to recruiting, etc. Open your eyes. It is right in front of you

It's in front of me alright. I've read this post four times and I'm still just as confused. :lol:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It's in front of me alright. I've read this post four times and I'm still just as confused. :lol:
I think I understand. At least part of it. And I think Ancient hit the nail on the head. As a HC you can build for the future or attempt to win today. Mac is building for the future by playing the type of offense that will be the future. He's not going to try to redesign the offense around a player who obviously isn't going to be playing many more games for us.
Reasons:
1) Teach the Oline the basics of the system of the future. Don't confuse guys who are just learning with a play book you are going to throw out next year.
2) Evaluate who on the Oline is actually capable of playing in that system
3) Show the style of offense that players that fit that offense will want to play for. You're not going to attract Franks or Eason by running every down, etc. Instead you end up with more Treon's.
4) re:substitutions - I'm guessing Ancient is saying that Mac is showing recruits that they will get a chance to play - but I'm not sure where he was going with that.

Once Grier went out this became a practice season. I asked weeks ago would Mac would try to fit Treon into the system or change the system for Treon. That question has been answered.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Mac has said that the doesn't go into any game expecting to lose. He said it multiple times and seemed genuine. I have a hard time believing that Mac would not do everything he could do to win games. Doesn't mean he (and Nuss) called a good game, or players executed, etc. but I can't image a coach practicing for next season
Maybe it's just me, but that's defeatist and sets a bad example for the troops.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I understand the reasoning behind people thinking that he's tanking to secure the future of our program, but I don't think that's the case at all. If Grier was in the starting lineup we would probably be undefeated.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
There is a big difference between tanking and building for the future. To my mind, and I picked up on it before midseason, Mac has consistently built for the future. In some close wins others of you have remarked that we lost "rhythm". At least some of those instances trace to the insertion of an inexperienced player. I certainly don't fault Mac. I personally know that other coaches have done this. I personally have ridden the pine while a less skilled player with more potential was developed. Am I really the only one who has seen this?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think I understand. At least part of it. And I think Ancient hit the nail on the head. As a HC you can build for the future or attempt to win today. Mac is building for the future by playing the type of offense that will be the future. He's not going to try to redesign the offense around a player who obviously isn't going to be playing many more games for us.
Reasons:
1) Teach the Oline the basics of the system of the future. Don't confuse guys who are just learning with a play book you are going to throw out next year.
2) Evaluate who on the Oline is actually capable of playing in that system
3) Show the style of offense that players that fit that offense will want to play for. You're not going to attract Franks or Eason by running every down, etc. Instead you end up with more Treon's.
4) re:substitutions - I'm guessing Ancient is saying that Mac is showing recruits that they will get a chance to play - but I'm not sure where he was going with that.

Once Grier went out this became a practice season. I asked weeks ago would Mac would try to fit Treon into the system or change the system for Treon. That question has been answered.

basically he is building an organization, everyone is new to the offense. Everyone needs reps. We do not change for one player, and if that player doesn't fit we need to know it. This is basically Treon's audition as well as everyone else on the team. He wants to win, but we need to win and build for the future. Playcalling may change, but not the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb