Something I've Been Thinking About Regarding Coaching...

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Nobody likes Spurrier more than me but there is zero chance that he would have any interest in the AD job. He would not enjoy the detail required of that job. What he should be doing is consulting with Mac and Nuss and providing his insight. Sort of a "Professor Emeritus" role.

It is insane if he is hanging around and his experience and knowledge is not being utilized. I don't know if it's not but .....if it's not it's insecurity on the part of Mac. I built an organization where I honestly felt very member of my executive staff was more talented than I. I provided the leadership, strategic vision and priorities while they provided specific expertise. I trusted my instincts and their experience. If I was a head coach and Spurrier was in the building I would spend countless hours picking his brain. He would also have an open invitation to every practice and would encourage him to spend personal time with every QB at his discretion. You just don't let that kind of expertise go untapped.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
They hired a bald, bucktoothed popcorn salesman before.

What is the difference really?

However, I agree. SOS is a joke. I want him on the committee making the decision about the next coach. He was never an admin type of guy. He didn't really even like most aspects of coaching that didn't involve playcalling and reliving his days as the O&B QB. I always felt like he really, REALLY wanted to steal a uniform and run it himself.

Foley is a politically correct bureaucrat who learned the business from the ground up. SOS would never have sold tickets to football games and learned how to make phone calls, fill out forms, and kiss everybody's ass which is what bureaucrats do. Spurrier chews up bureaucrats and spits them out until they just wear him down and he can't take it any more. It's sort of one of those John Galt things.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hey Cover. Hope everything is well with you. Sure, I think Spurrier would definitely have some insight into who would be a good fit for UF. But, as you know, finding the right guy is a lot easier said than done. Just because Spurrier can come up with a name doesn't mean that his pick is going to turn out to be a great coach. A lot of people know a lot about football and know just as much as Spurrier does. There is a luck factor into getting the right guy at the right place at the right time. Didn't Spurrier want Muschamp to be the coach at South Carolina?

It takes two very different kinds of mindsets to be a head football coach and an AD. In medicine it would be like being a surgeon or a psychiatrist. Both are medical doctors but they couldn't be more worlds apart. The days of football coaches being the athletic director is a thing of the past. Back in the days of Ray Graves, Graves could be the AD and the football coach. But the overall athletic programs were a lot smaller and simpler to run. That was the time when assistant football coaches also helped out with basketball. You have to have a business background to be an AD at a major athletic program today.

So ask Spurrier his opinion and take it into account but take everything else that factors into the equation also.
Joe, I'm coming around. Thanks for asking! No big disagreements with your reply, though I think a key point is that the AD is, in fact, the CEO, but not a guy that makes every decision on his own. He certainly has the final say within specific bounds. The whole college sports program today, as you point out, is too big for that IMO; thus, the need for a staff with expertise in different areas (i.e. fund raising, facilities, academics, male vs. female specific athletic issues, different sports and related dynamics, etc.). Seems better suited for a trusted staff organized and governed by the CEO.

However it's done, a guy with football knowledge of all aspects of a collegiate program, to include determining the best candidates as well as those who should never be considered for running a three-time national champ lest it find its way in the ditch, would be beneficial. Your also right that there are no guarantees, but I think a better job can be done in terms of selecting, recruiting, and hiring a better fit than some we've had lately. This is where I circle back to a guy knowledgable and committed not just to football, but Florida football. Surely such a person exists?

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We all like spurrier but he did advise south Carolina to hire will muschamp

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody likes Spurrier more than me but there is zero chance that he would have any interest in the AD job. He would not enjoy the detail required of that job. What he should be doing is consulting with Mac and Nuss and providing his insight. Sort of a "Professor Emeritus" role.

It is insane if he is hanging around and his experience and knowledge is not being utilized. I don't know if it's not but .....if it's not it's insecurity on the part of Mac. I built an organization where I honestly felt very member of my executive staff was more talented than I. I provided the leadership, strategic vision and priorities while they provided specific expertise. I trusted my instincts and their experience. If I was a head coach and Spurrier was in the building I would spend countless hours picking his brain. He would also have an open invitation to every practice and would encourage him to spend personal time with every QB at his discretion. You just don't let that kind of expertise go untapped.
1st post from you I've ever liked and I agree wholeheartedly.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

SOS has a superior football mind and I assume Mac is tapping him for advice. We tend to hold that amazing run from 1993-96 as the gold standard for Gator offense. But other than Rex Grossman and 2001, not even Spurrier has approached those heights in 20+ years. He couldn't find a QB for several years at UF. He won just one more SEC after 1996. He did more at SC than I thought possible but there was no Fun 'n Gun, no memorable QB, no championships. For all his mastery of discipline, recruiting and offense, without Tebow would Meyer have won anything? And he's the only guy in the conversation with Saban.

USC, Alabama, Oklahoma and Notre Dame have all suffered this sort of swale. It sucks. We are all pretty adept at looking back and evaluating success and failure. And failure is the safe bet for prognostication since winning a championship is rare (13 SEC teams don't every year.) Many want change but no one knows if/when the right fit at the right time will happen.

All coaches get fired or move eventually, and without Zook there would be no Meyer. But I've never been part of a team or organization where bitching helped anything.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All coaches get fired or move eventually, and without Zook there would be no Meyer. But I've never been part of a team or organization where *****ing helped anything.
You are correct, but unfortunately the *****ing is a human component that is part of the healing process, and we've been wounded quite a while now. Same old stuff keeps happening, the *****ing continues.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
You are correct, but unfortunately the *****ing is a human component that is part of the healing process, and we've been wounded quite a while now. Same old stuff keeps happening, the *****ing continues.

True. And when enough - especially the big $$& - are mad enough it will force change. But I'd like this team to win Saturday. I'd like more 4* recruits. I'd like Mac to succeed if at all possible. I do see the problems will give the Donkey his due.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SOS has a superior football mind and I assume Mac is tapping him for advice.
Uh.....no. Clearly no.

He did more at SC than I thought possible but there was no Fun 'n Gun, no memorable QB, no championships.
Beating Bammer was a pretty big deal, but you are right, he wasn't our Ole Steve Superior. He never even called his own plays. He was tired even then and ready to retire.

I don't blame him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's easy to dream of what-ifs with a still-energetic UF coaching legend around, but my senses is he's content to bounce around the athletic department, make a few calls, shake some hands and play nine before the day's out.

Could Spurrier be helpful? Of course. Would he want to put his stamp on this football team? I doubt it. He'd want full reign over the offense, and that's not gonna happen.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier is exactly where he needs to be when it comes to helping this university. Make some speeches, gather some some donations and then hit the golf course. Definitely run some names by him during a selection process but that's where it should begin and end. His finger isn't on the pulse of college football anymore and I don't blame him for it. He's retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator