Soooo...what about the receivers?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n73723 said:
Agreed, but this also comes down to leadership from the QB position. I think we all agree that this is one of the biggest areas Jeff is lacking. He doesn't seem to have the confidence of his team. The reality is we all thought that even though Harris would make mistakes (like the bad pass against UT that was almost picked) he seemed to increase the energy of the team. Unfortunately, Harris is not available to play, so we need the WRs to step up and catch the f'n ball. It doesn't matter who throws it... you are a D1 WR at the University of Florida. If it hits you in the hands you should catch it. Robinson completely mis-judged the ball on the first INT from Driskel. I think Robinson is trying to turn everything into a big play vs. just catching the ball and then worrying about making somebody miss. I think everybody is trying too hard to be the "hero" because they feel the pressure from how stagnant the offense is.

That's could be true, but personally I'd prefer mistakes from trying too hard, than mistakes from not trying hard enough.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n73694 said:
Btw, with all the talk of how good the FSU receivers are, they were getting blasted for being crappy until Winston made them look all world last year. Good QBs make your receivers look good. Great QB's make your receivers look great. Pitiful QBs... well, you get the picture...

There is also a reason why EJ Manuel was being undersold by his coach. No one denied they had Talent at WR. Now without those Wide Recievers making plays for them Winston is looking for ordinary as well. It's two peices that have to work together.

In the Winston example
(14 games) (4 games)
Completition percentage 2013: 66.9% 2014: 66.7
Yards; 2013: 4057 2014: 1288
yard per pass: 2013: 10.6 2014: 8.9
TDs 2013: 40 2014: 8
int 2013: 10 2014: 5
rating 2013: 184.8 2014: 153.2

He is on pace for a worse season without the recievers he had last year. So one can't operate without the other, and in our case both have issues. But dropped passes are also a constant with the Muschamp era. In 2012, if the recievers dropped half of the passes they did that year, and 30% of the incomplete passes were drops (Highest percentage in the nation) Driskel would have lead the nation in Passing Effiecency rating (Geno Smith won).

Driskel is bad and would have been benched if Harris hadn't had this situation. But that still doesn't excuse the obvious drops by the recieving corp. If it is a catchable ball it should be caught. Right now 23.8% of Driskel's incompletitions have been drops. I didn't check how that compares to the rest of the Nation.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n73726 said:
It certainly seems like that. It might also be a locker room problem. It will be interesting to see how they perform in the LSU game.

Absolutely, and if this is the case, the coaches need to get deep in their :moon: and get it straightened out. Even if it means benching your stars for some walk-ons to make a point.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Good article from dooley. The drops aside, I wonder how much of it is attributed to the recievers sre not getting open vs driskels lack of vision/locking on to one receiver pre-snap ?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n73728 said:
There is also a reason why EJ Manuel was being undersold by his coach. No one denied they had Talent at WR. Now without those Wide Recievers making plays for them Winston is looking for ordinary as well. It's two peices that have to work together.

In the Winston example
(14 games) (4 games)
Completition percentage 2013: 66.9% 2014: 66.7
Yards; 2013: 4057 2014: 1288
yard per pass: 2013: 10.6 2014: 8.9
TDs 2013: 40 2014: 8
int 2013: 10 2014: 5
rating 2013: 184.8 2014: 153.2

He is on pace for a worse season without the recievers he had last year. So one can't operate without the other, and in our case both have issues. But dropped passes are also a constant with the Muschamp era. In 2012, if the recievers dropped half of the passes they did that year, and 30% of the incomplete passes were drops (Highest percentage in the nation) Driskel would have lead the nation in Passing Effiecency rating (Geno Smith won).

Driskel is bad and would have been benched if Harris hadn't had this situation. But that still doesn't excuse the obvious drops by the recieving corp. If it is a catchable ball it should be caught. Right now 23.8% of Driskel's incompletitions have been drops. I didn't check how that compares to the rest of the Nation.

The thing that looks different to me about Winston is he doesn't have Benjamin to bail him out like he did so many times last season. He could just throw it high to him on those long downs and Benjamin would usually come down with it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n73715 said:
So, the receivers should be benched for dropping passes? Because they're a main reason we're losing games? Your top receivers in the NFL routinely drop passes. And nobody's calling for them to be benched. I guess these guys are one of the main problems with their teams... Drops Leaders

Our receivers could do better but it is primarily a QB problem. When Tyler took over last season before the shoulder injury the receivers weren't dropping the ball as much as they are now because he didn't gun it when he shouldn't have. The receivers need to improve but they aren't the huge issue we have.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel sucks and 4 drops a game wouldn't be as bad if your qb wasn't making a trial run for the special Olympics. And pat Dooley gets paid to spin things however the athletic department wants him too.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n73694 said:
Btw, with all the talk of how good the FSU receivers are, they were getting blasted for being crappy until Winston made them look all world last year. Good QBs make your receivers look good. Great QB's make your receivers look great. Pitiful QBs... well, you get the picture...

Called it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n73742 said:
Driskel sucks and 4 drops a game wouldn't be as bad if your qb wasn't making a trial run for the special Olympics. And pat Dooley gets paid to spin things however the athletic department wants him too.

They probably gave him a call after those bad stories about Muschamp and he got nervous when we beat Tennessee.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n73740 said:
Our receivers could do better but it is primarily a QB problem. When Taylor took over last season before the shoulder injury the receivers weren't dropping the ball as much as they are now because he didn't gun it when he shouldn't have. The receivers need to improve but they aren't the huge issue we have.

I don't think anyone is saying that QB isn't a problem, or even the primary problem. Simply that there are other factors involved, including the receivers.

Honestly, I think most people are on the same page with this, we are all just approaching it from different points of view, as we all have our own bias'

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ReelGatorDoc;n73610 said:
I thought it was Tebow would had a wobbly ball...plenty of those were caught

That Pig Howard kid caught everything it seemed

He dropped one that probably saved our butts.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
URGatorBait;n73746 said:
I don't think anyone is saying that QB isn't a problem, or even the primary problem. Simply that there are other factors involved, including the receivers.

Honestly, I think most people are on the same page with this, we are all just approaching it from different points of view, as we all have our own bias'
I think so too

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
There's a solution to all these dropped passes. More Muschamp ball. :headbang:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n73740 said:
Our receivers could do better but it is primarily a QB problem. When Taylor took over last season before the shoulder injury the receivers weren't dropping the ball as much as they are now because he didn't gun it when he shouldn't have. The receivers need to improve but they aren't the huge issue we have.

Taylor's shoulder injury, could you mean Murphy? You have Taylor to QB on your mind.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n73740 said:

You still hoping Taylor plays QB, don't you? :lol:

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n73604 said:
Perhaps recruiting and coaching come into play here.

The heck you say. The correct answer is nobody is to blame, nothing is wrong, this is all for fun and what's wrong with you. Now sit down, shut up and renew for next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator