SOS calls them out....

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
On the Buddy Martin show, reported by onlygators, SOS basiclly tells them to go watch the film its all there. Dumbasses.

“The offense we ran in the 90s, that’s not what they do here now,” Spurrier said. “People always say, ‘Well, coach Spurrier, why don’t you give them some ball plays?’ I say, ‘Listen, every play that we ran in the ’90s is there on video at the University of Florida. If they want to go back and watch Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews throw all those touchdown passes — we led the nation in touchdown passes through the 90s, more than any other school — it’s all on tape there. Go back and watch it. They don’t do that.”

“Coaches coach what they know, and they coach how they’re comfortable coaching,” he said. “And the way we coach at Florida now is not the way we coached back then. I’m not saying ours was a whole lot better – maybe it was – but they’re trying the best they can to coach what they know. It was hard for me to try to give some positive ball plays here and there.”

He is perfect at making his point without being too much of an ass. Got ot respect him. He is legend!

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
I read in another article were SOS basically said he tried to suggest a few plays to help out but that some of the concepts were foreign to Mac and Nuss. I took that to mean they got confused seeing plays that actually worked.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is perfect at making his point without being too much of an ass. Got ot respect him. He is legend!
Butter's dedication to toolbag Nusschump cost himself twelve million at least. I hope he is happy with his choice.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Here we have the problem, coaches "coach what they know". Are they so stupid that they can't learn, that they can't adapt their system to the talents of their players or to exploit weakness in your opponents?

So for example Don Shula had a very conservative ground based offense when his players were good at that, won super bowls and had a perfect season.

Then later he had a very dynamic passing offense with Dan Marino and two small but great receivers. If he could do it dopes today could as well.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here we have the problem, coaches "coach what they know". Are they so stupid that they can't learn, that they can't adapt their system to the talents of their players or to exploit weakness in your opponents?

So for example Don Shula had a very conservative ground based offense when his players were good at that, won super bowls and had a perfect season.

Then later he had a very dynamic passing offense with Dan Marino and two small but great receivers. If he could do it dopes today could as well.

i don't know that they are stupid as much as unbridled arrogance convinces you that you don't need to change what you are doing. Mac believed that he had it all figured out and his only obstacle was the incompetence of others which is a classic attribute of delusional arrogance.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
On the Buddy Martin show, reported by onlygators, SOS basiclly tells them to go watch the film its all there. Dumbasses.

“The offense we ran in the 90s, that’s not what they do here now,” Spurrier said. “People always say, ‘Well, coach Spurrier, why don’t you give them some ball plays?’ I say, ‘Listen, every play that we ran in the ’90s is there on video at the University of Florida. If they want to go back and watch Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews throw all those touchdown passes — we led the nation in touchdown passes through the 90s, more than any other school — it’s all on tape there. Go back and watch it. They don’t do that.”

“Coaches coach what they know, and they coach how they’re comfortable coaching,” he said. “And the way we coach at Florida now is not the way we coached back then. I’m not saying ours was a whole lot better – maybe it was – but they’re trying the best they can to coach what they know. It was hard for me to try to give some positive ball plays here and there.”

While it is always fun seeing spurrier spout off I don’t think this legend sitting in the admin office is necessarily helpful to a prospectivennew head coach.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

They also know what they choose to learn. So as long as they think the system and style they are running can be successful, they will not choose to learn anything else.

Still the bottom line with this past staff is that they were hired by the guy who when he had a freer time in 2001-2 and 2010-11 went and hired defense coordinators to try to win with defense first. So it is hardly surprising when constrained to stay away for coordinators and defensive minded coaches, he went and hired a stealth defensive minded coach who had been an offensive coordinator in defense first program, had little experience as a head coach and would talk offense for him while really trying to build via defense.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
To be good at what you do, and arrogant, is one thing but to be terrible at what you do, and arrogant, is something else altogether. I think we know which category McButt is in.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
While it is always fun seeing spurrier spout off I don’t think this legend sitting in the admin office is necessarily helpful to a prospectivennew head coach.

I agree with the OP that Spurrier was being very diplomatic. Reading between the lines, Spurrier is a Florida Gator through and through and probably has been just as frustrated with our performance as us on this board, but instead of just trashing the staff, he was silent until Mac was fired. Even now, he's obviously pulling his punches and letting Mac off easy. If someone is turned off by this kind of treatment for sucking as bad as Mac, I don't want them considered for the job of head coach anyway.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Totally agree and frankly Foley needs to get the hell out of dodge as well. Love SOS but in the same hallway as the HBC with his office? Not a good idea IMO.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I agree with the OP that Spurrier was being very diplomatic. Reading between the lines, Spurrier is a Florida Gator through and through and probably has been just as frustrated with our performance as us on this board, but instead of just trashing the staff, he was silent until Mac was fired. Even now, he's obviously pulling his punches and letting Mac off easy. If someone is turned off by this kind of treatment for sucking as bad as Mac, I don't want them considered for the job of head coach anyway.

I’m just saying if you are a young guy like frost, and you see the chaos and drama surrounding our last 5 coaches either being fired or leaving with a bit of drama. Now couple that with the outspoken savior of Florida football sitting down the hall. You gotta be a pretty confident guy to walk into that mess. For a guy like Kelly I suspect he’s got enough cred he wouldn’t really care.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
i don't know that they are stupid as much as unbridled arrogance convinces you that you don't need to change what you are doing. Mac believed that he had it all figured out and his only obstacle was the incompetence of others which is a classic attribute of delusional arrogance.

I don't know GDad but that's pretty close to my definition of stupid. Real major league stupid.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I don't know GDad but that's pretty close to my definition of stupid. Real major league stupid.
Narcissism is what it is. And frankly to hire him after the performance he displayed here.........well the fans base should put a stop to that before it begins.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I’m just saying if you are a young guy like frost, and you see the chaos and drama surrounding our last 5 coaches either being fired or leaving with a bit of drama. Now couple that with the outspoken savior of Florida football sitting down the hall. You gotta be a pretty confident guy to walk into that mess. For a guy like Kelly I suspect he’s got enough cred he wouldn’t really care.

I doubt it would bother Frost either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator