SOS on Nuss?

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
From Zach's latest article, here's SOS on helping the offense:

"An offense is more than just a quarterback,” he said. “How many times when I was coaching here did you say we didn’t have a quarterback? We never said that. I don’t believe in saying that. Sometimes you’ve got to get guys open, you’ve got to protect the quarterback, he’s got to throw it at the right time, he comes open at the right time and away you go. So, sometimes, it’s not always (about) the quarterback. Let’s get some guys open, let’s run the ball, let’s mix it up and things of that nature. We need to do all those things better, I think, this coming year, too.”

I love having SOS as a resource. I'll take him over Bama having Sark, that's for damn sure. Frankly, this is how any great organization should work: the best people working together as a team.

However, and I'm not arguing either side, the last 2 sentences are high octane fuel for anyone arguing that Nuss isn't getting it done. If you don't like Nuss you gotta be all over this, right?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Spurrier was not one to bite his tongue, but I can't see him bashing Ole Nussy to the press or the public. He did say we have to do everything better, which he is 100% right about.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I think it's a tough situation because on the one-side, muschamp really screwed us over with roster management i.e olinemen and depth at QB. But on the other hand, it seems like we could have been better in some instances. But Mac got the job done and won the east twice in his first two years. that's an accomplishment in itself with or without a productive offense.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The problem is I don't think Spurrier is very involved with anything to do with the football team. Wish he was. But as an Ambassador what does he really do?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Of course any Gator fan is going to take Spurrier over Nussmeir, and practically any other coach....but the fact is Spurrier evolved as a coach and so did the SEC. His offenses are just like most OC's; if he has talented players...his offense is good (especially if he has a good QB, like Conner Shaw)....if he has mediocre talent on offense, his O is mediocre (like his last team).

I do like that Spurrier is there as an ambassador. He's great for our program.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't take this as Spurrier bashing Nuss as much as it is that the whole team needs to perform better and not just the QB.

I was looking at the expected depth chart for offense the other day.. it is year 3 and McElwain won't have any Muschamp player on his offense from what I saw. That means he has basically rebuilt the offensive depth chart from nothing. That says a lot about why we have had the struggles we have had.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
If you're trying to read into this some criticism on Nuss by SOS, don't. The old ball coach is way too classy for that. I don't think Steve really figured out how important a balanced offensive attack was until Danny was gone and then, it took awhile. He realized just in the nic of time in 97 against FSU and PSU that with his current QB situation he needed to give Fred the ball and be very selective with how much he put on Doug's plate which is why I think he needed to use Noah more.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I didn't take this as Spurrier bashing Nuss as much as it is that the whole team needs to perform better and not just the QB.

I was looking at the expected depth chart for offense the other day.. it is year 3 and McElwain won't have any Muschamp player on his offense from what I saw. That means he has basically rebuilt the offensive depth chart from nothing. That says a lot about why we have had the struggles we have had.
For the most part, but guys like Andre Mike and Harkless were muschamp players. Also, goolsby and lewis are muschamp players. Also, brandon powell is muschamp's player.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
For the most part, but guys like Andre Mike and Harkless were muschamp players. Also, goolsby and lewis are muschamp players. Also, brandon powell is muschamp's player.

Powell is the one I forgot... I don't think Harkless or Mike are projected to start next year. I should have been more clear I was talking about starters.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
From Zach's latest article, here's SOS on helping the offense:

"An offense is more than just a quarterback,” he said. “How many times when I was coaching here did you say we didn’t have a quarterback? We never said that. I don’t believe in saying that. Sometimes you’ve got to get guys open, you’ve got to protect the quarterback, he’s got to throw it at the right time, he comes open at the right time and away you go. So, sometimes, it’s not always (about) the quarterback. Let’s get some guys open, let’s run the ball, let’s mix it up and things of that nature. We need to do all those things better, I think, this coming year, too.”

I love having SOS as a resource. I'll take him over Bama having Sark, that's for damn sure. Frankly, this is how any great organization should work: the best people working together as a team.

However, and I'm not arguing either side, the last 2 sentences are high octane fuel for anyone arguing that Nuss isn't getting it done. If you don't like Nuss you gotta be all over this, right?

Says the coach that had Shane, Danny and Rex. The corollary to "sometimes" it's not always about the quarterback is that "most of the time" it IS always about the quarterback.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Says the coach that had Shane, Danny and Rex. The corollary to "sometimes" it's not always about the quarterback is that "most of the time" it IS always about the quarterback.
I dont care if we dont throw at all, just have an offense that can put up points/touchdowns. not yardage thats a muschamp stat.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's chock full of silly. First and foremost, most of you would claim Wuerffel was terrible. He had a 40 time of probably 5.0, maybe worse after a few hundreds hits and w earing those gigantic knee braces and rib and back shell he wore as the damage mounted. He also had a weak arm and threw pretty much a rainbow on every pass. He didnt practice well by all accounts and struggled mightily as a rs freshman. Frankly, Morningwheg looked very similar to me. And yet, we won.

Shane was similiar. Hardly a rocket arm but admittedly faster. When we had a ball control coach, Shane was 5th string.

Rex was a no name who was brought in for depth for Brock Berlin, Mr Football. An afterthought.

And yet, SOS developed them. He didnt beyotch or send out his parrots to make excuses about not landing the Payton Mannings of the world.

SOS also won with FatDog Noah Brindise, a walkon, and Jesse Fabulous Hair Palmer, essentially a walkon, a guy who had only played club football in Canada bc his high school didnt have a team.

Ball control coaches always have the same problem. They are too damn timid to open upnthe offense.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The problem is I don't think Spurrier is very involved with anything to do with the football team. Wish he was. But as an Ambassador what does he really do?

I think he's mainly there in some kind of a fundraising capacity. Maybe he goes and speaks at clubs or plays golf with some big time Bull Gators. Whatever it is he does, the main objective I think is to get more money donated.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Powell is the one I forgot... I don't think Harkless or Mike are projected to start next year. I should have been more clear I was talking about starters.
If Harkness or Mike start ever on the OL, we are in TROUBLE...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Harkness or Mike start ever on the OL, we are in TROUBLE...

Exactly... so there are 3 contributors... the TEs who are average and an average slot WR. Other than that McElwain has had to literally rebuild his full offense from scratch, especially the most important and hardest to build piece which is the OL. So while everybody slams his offense constantly... they forget how little he had to work with the first two years.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
SOS also won with FatDog Noah Brindise, a walkon, and Jesse Fabulous Hair Palmer, essentially a walkon, a guy who had only played club football in Canada bc his high school didnt have a team.

So Swamp, is there even a possibility that Trask works out even though he didn't have enough HS experience to meet your standards?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
:exactly:
I think he's mainly there in some kind of a fundraising capacity. Maybe he goes and speaks at clubs or plays golf with some big time Bull Gators. Whatever it is he does, the main objective I think is to get more money donated.

Which does nothing to help our offense.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly... so there are 3 contributors... the TEs who are average and an average slot WR. Other than that McElwain has had to literally rebuild his full offense from scratch, especially the most important and hardest to build piece which is the OL. So while everybody slams his offense constantly... they forget how little he had to work with the first two years.

I agree that MooseDump left almost ZERO on offense for Mac and he has had to rebuild. But, he and SuckNut Summers gave scholarships to several OL who are not SEC caliber depth OL and should be playing in the MAC, not the SEC.

I have read many comments about how much OL depth he has built since taking over but, he has not built SEC caliber depth - if the majority of these kids play we are F'd, they are not SEC caliber OL.. He failed to dump Summers after his first year and that caused him major issues with one of the two most important recruiting spots on the team - OL. I don't know much about the new OL coach so, I can only hope he is able to recruit and teach scheme and technique.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That means he has basically rebuilt the offensive depth chart from nothing. That says a lot about why we have had the struggles we have had.

most important and hardest to build piece which is the OL. So while everybody slams his offense constantly... they forget how little he had to work with the first two years.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's not forget QB Bennett at non-charter school Duke. He finished as the top productive QB in the nation. After CFB he contributed zero to FB. The other lousy CFB school Spurrier "miraculized" was USC. Schools where nobody could recruit highly for. To extend from what ATX said, "build from nothing"--- when the top players wanted to go to other programs. That cannot be an excuse because for UF poor recruiting is inexcusable. Looks like better recruiting is inching up better. Got to let our personal Gatorness cheering them on do its part of propelling your team upward forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.