SOS on Nuss?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Heard that last year too. Year two is where his offense really kicks in. Show me.

Of course... he needs to show it. But lets not pretend you don't voice your opinions on here of what you think will happen.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Of course any Gator fan is going to take Spurrier over Nussmeir, and practically any other coach....but the fact is Spurrier evolved as a coach and so did the SEC. His offenses are just like most OC's; if he has talented players...his offense is good (especially if he has a good QB, like Conner Shaw)....if he has mediocre talent on offense, his O is mediocre (like his last team).

I do like that Spurrier is there as an ambassador. He's great for our program.

Did Spurrier have many top offenses at SC? Some were alright but I remember thinking it stood out that he was winning with good defensive play there many times. I think SC only had 400 yard plus a game average offenses there near the end of his tenure around the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Shaw was the 2013 QB however.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier was no longer the OC at USC. They were running spread stuff mostly, and doing it quite poorly.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I didn't take this as Spurrier bashing Nuss as much as it is that the whole team needs to perform better and not just the QB.

I was looking at the expected depth chart for offense the other day.. it is year 3 and McElwain won't have any Muschamp player on his offense from what I saw. That means he has basically rebuilt the offensive depth chart from nothing. That says a lot about why we have had the struggles we have had.

B Powell and Goolsby off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that MooseDump left almost ZERO on offense for Mac and he has had to rebuild.
In 2015, Mac had an All SEC QB (Treon) and an even better QB (Grier) behind him, a 1000 yard rusher (Taylor) and a couple of nice freshmen, an NFL draft pick WR (DRob) and a nice freshman (AC). Now, I know that Mushchimp didn't land AC or the Jordans, but they were our top targets and he likely would have landed them if he stayed. You can say what you want about him, but he is 10 times the recruiter that Butters is.

Honestly, I can't look at 2017 and say that the offense is somehow stacked as some pumpers claim. Yes, we have some generally untalented depth on the OL now, and a bunch of mediocre pieces in the starting lineup on the OL. However, they have been bad and bad players tend to continue to be bad players. I'm not really sure what some of you mean when you keep raving about what Ole Butters has built on offense. It is still an offense with more questions than answers and still looks like 100+ to me and we damn sure KNOW that Nusschump is a 100+ OC.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are you high? Treon was not an All SEC QB? With Treon at QB after Grier was suspended Florida went 4-4 during Harris' final eight starts of the season. MooseDump was a far better recruiter defensively than Mac but, he sucked at recruiting offense.

And, I am definitely not stating that Mac has rebuilt the offense. The offensive stats do not support anyone claiming it has been rebuilt - Red Zone Offense: 126/128 tied with Indiana, Scoring Offense: 107/128, Total Offense:116/128. Fooley told the Gator Nation that Mac was an offensive Guru and I have not witnessed that in two seasons. Even with Grier at QB we never cracked the top 50 in Total Offense.

Hopefully, the new OL coach can coach technique and scheme to get out OL back to at least average and hopefully the new RB coach can teach our RB's what to do with blitzes...

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Are you high? Treon was not an All SEC QB? With Treon at QB after Grier was suspended Florida went 4-4 during Harris' final eight starts of the season. MooseDump was a far better recruiter defensively than Mac but, he sucked at recruiting offense.

And, I am definitely not stating that Mac has rebuilt the offense. The offensive stats do not support anyone claiming it has been rebuilt - Red Zone Offense: 126/128 tied with Indiana, Scoring Offense: 107/128, Total Offense:116/128. Fooley told the Gator Nation that Mac was an offensive Guru and I have not witnessed that in two seasons. Even with Grier at QB we never cracked the top 50 in Total Offense.

Hopefully, the new OL coach can coach technique and scheme to get out OL back to at least average and hopefully the new RB coach can teach our RB's what to do with blitzes...
Law is right, the Spaceman was named All-SEC Freshman with over 1000yds

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In 2015, Mac had an All SEC QB (Treon) and an even better QB (Grier) behind him, a 1000 yard rusher (Taylor) and a couple of nice freshmen, an NFL draft pick WR (DRob) and a nice freshman (AC). Now, I know that Mushchimp didn't land AC or the Jordans, but they were our top targets and he likely would have landed them if he stayed. You can say what you want about him, but he is 10 times the recruiter that Butters is.

Honestly, I can't look at 2017 and say that the offense is somehow stacked as some pumpers claim. Yes, we have some generally untalented depth on the OL now, and a bunch of mediocre pieces in the starting lineup on the OL. However, they have been bad and bad players tend to continue to be bad players. I'm not really sure what some of you mean when you keep raving about what Ole Butters has built on offense. It is still an offense with more questions than answers and still looks like 100+ to me and we damn sure KNOW that Nusschump is a 100+ OC.

I think Champ was a great recruiter on the defensive side of the ball, but his offensive recruiting was lacking. Yes... he got some talent in, but he didn't put together enough talent to field a competitive offense (especially on the OL...where you complained about his #s all the time). Recruiting isn't just about stars, but also about filling needs and roster management and Champ was horrible at that.

We had 1 WR in Robinson who was really any good. He had 1 QB who ended up getting suspended... you can call Treon All-SEC all you want, but he was not a great QB. He consistently missed wide open guys. Taylor was a very good RB, but without an OL there isn't a lot you can do. So Champ left 1 QB, 1 WR and 1 RB and you are saying he was a great recruiter...

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
That's chock full of silly. First and foremost, most of you would claim Wuerffel was terrible. He had a 40 time of probably 5.0, maybe worse after a few hundreds hits and w earing those gigantic knee braces and rib and back shell he wore as the damage mounted. He also had a weak arm and threw pretty much a rainbow on every pass. He didnt practice well by all accounts and struggled mightily as a rs freshman. Frankly, Morningwheg looked very similar to me. And yet, we won.

Shane was similiar. Hardly a rocket arm but admittedly faster. When we had a ball control coach, Shane was 5th string.

Rex was a no name who was brought in for depth for Brock Berlin, Mr Football. An afterthought.

And yet, SOS developed them. He didnt beyotch or send out his parrots to make excuses about not landing the Payton Mannings of the world.

SOS also won with FatDog Noah Brindise, a walkon, and Jesse Fabulous Hair Palmer, essentially a walkon, a guy who had only played club football in Canada bc his high school didnt have a team.

Ball control coaches always have the same problem. They are too damn timid to open upnthe offense.
This post is right on, and "chock full of silly" - that's a 5* comment!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Champ was a great recruiter on the defensive side of the ball, but his offensive recruiting was lacking. Yes... he got some talent in, but he didn't put together enough talent to field a competitive offense (especially on the OL...where you complained about his #s all the time). Recruiting isn't just about stars, but also about filling needs and roster management and Champ was horrible at that.

We had 1 WR in Robinson who was really any good. He had 1 QB who ended up getting suspended... you can call Treon All-SEC all you want, but he was not a great QB. He consistently missed wide open guys. Taylor was a very good RB, but without an OL there isn't a lot you can do. So Champ left 1 QB, 1 WR and 1 RB and you are saying he was a great recruiter...
Yeah, I agree basically. Obviously Chimp's thin recruiting on offense and total lack of OL recruiting is evident. Treon is obviously a very flawed guy yet he still was freshman AllSEC. Technically, Chimp left 3 QBs, Drisktard wasnt gone yet.

My point was not that Chimp was great, good, or even acceptable--of course--merely that Butters' roster isnt clearly better at some positions (WR and RB) and is clearly worse at some positions (ie QB).

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I agree basically. Obviously Chimp's thin recruiting on offense and total lack of OL recruiting is evident. Treon is obviously a very flawed guy yet he still was freshman AllSEC. Technically, Chimp left 3 QBs, Drisktard wasnt gone yet.

My point was not that Chimp was great, good, or even acceptable--of course--merely that Butters' roster isnt clearly better at some positions (WR and RB) and is clearly worse at some positions (ie QB).

I don't agree with that. Butters roster is much better at WR. Callaway and Cleveland are better than any pair of WRs Champ had. That doesn't even account for Robinson and Green and the possibility of Hammond, Swain, etc... ending up as contributors. We also don't know how Massey might be able to contribute, but there is clearly more talent at the WR position.

As far as the RB position... Champ did get some solid RBs... Jones was a good RB and so was Taylor, but I think Scarlett, Perine and now add Lemmons and McElwain has brought in more talent there.

The QB position is yet to be seen... it is possible Franks will be as good or better than Grier, but we don't know yet. It is possible that Trask turns out to be a very good QB or Allen... we just don't know. It has only been 2 years. Next year will be a better tell on McElwain's QB recruiting to do a fair comparison.

The other thing to think about is just team speed in general. Davis, Lemmons, Toney, Callaway... these guys all have elite speed... which was something we were lacking with Muschamp. Powell was the only guy he brought in and while Powell is a solid contributor he is a guy that is on almost every SEC roster.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I don't think his comments were aimed at Nuss, I think he was answering to the criticism that everyone thinks our problem is we don't have a QB.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Why does SOS need to help Nuss? Didn't we hire this offensive mastermind? Why can't Mac help Nuss?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Hate to respond to you because your posts are usually so chock full of pablum but here it goes.

That's chock full of silly. First and foremost, most of you would claim Wuerffel was terrible. He had a 40 time of probably 5.0, maybe worse after a few hundreds hits and w earing those gigantic knee braces and rib and back shell he wore as the damage mounted. He also had a weak arm and threw pretty much a rainbow on every pass. He didnt practice well by all accounts and struggled mightily as a rs freshman. Frankly, Morningwheg looked very similar to me. And yet, we won.

Are you arguing that Wuerffel wasn't a talented QB? You need to rewatch some games. I suggest the 96 NC. Wuerffel could throw damn accurate passes and drop the ball in basket going 30 mph down the sidelines. And oh yeah he won the Heisman.

Shane was similiar. Hardly a rocket arm but admittedly faster. When we had a ball control coach, Shane was 5th string.

Not sure where your going with this. Shane sure could throw a damn accurate bomb and was good enough for First Team All-SEC (1990-92). SEC Player of the Year (1990, 1991). SEC Player of the Year (1990, 1991). Second-team All-American (1992). Florida–Georgia Hall of Fame. University of Florida Athletic Hall of Fame. "When we had a ball control coach"? WTF are you talking about? Shane's freshman season under Hall?

Rex was a no name who was brought in for depth for Brock Berlin, Mr Football. An afterthought.
Again what's your point? Spurrier couldn't recognize talent? Rex had natural talent.

And yet, SOS developed them. He didnt beyotch or send out his parrots to make excuses about not landing the Payton Mannings of the world.
Developed them? Spurrier's MO was to plug in QBs from his deep bench until someone could get the job done. Who is bitching and sending out parrots BTW?

SOS also won with FatDog Noah Brindise, a walkon, and Jesse Fabulous Hair Palmer, essentially a walkon, a guy who had only played club football in Canada bc his high school didnt have a team.
Spurrier didn't win anything with those guys. Didn't even make it to the SEC championship game.

Ball control coaches always have the same problem. They are too damn timid to open upnthe offense.
Ball control coaches? You must be talking about the TOP king. Mac has talked and attempted explosive plays for two seasons. Treon/LDR/AA couldn't get it done.

Are you trying to suggest that Spurrier could have developed Treon/LDR/AA into Shane/Danny/Rex caliber QBs because I would fcvking love to hear that argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator